Unidentified Rex and Voigtlander Cameras

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by SleepyLizard, Dec 2, 2003.

1. SleepyLizard

SleepyLizard TPF Noob!

As mentioned in another thread I have two cameras which I know little about. If anyone knows their model, year and any interesting data on either I'd love to hear it.

Edit: Forgot to mention, both take 120 film.

Voigtlander
    I'm guessing this one would be 1940's to 1950's. A very solid well built feel to this one. Can't find any reference to it on the net. Does anyone recognise it and have any details.
    [​IMG]

Rex
    Made in England. seems to me like 1920's style. A very basic camera. There are no markings inside or out other than what you see in the photo.
    [​IMG]

Alan

2. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't have any ID info about your cameras, but I sure like that Voigtlander. Awesome DOF scale! That's always handy when you are guestimating the focus. Have you tried finding a site that lists serial numbers? I've been able to track down very exact info on Zeiss and Rollei cameras just with a serial number. Somebody out there has to be keeping track of Voigtlander cameras.

Have you used the Voigtlander? 120 folders are one of my favorite camera designs. I've been printing a bunch of pics of my daughter that I took earlier this year with a couple of 120 folders. I am still amazed at the sharpness and quality.

3. SleepyLizard

SleepyLizard TPF Noob!

Yes, so do I. It seems in good condition except the back will not close tightly but then it only cost a fiver. I have a couple of others which seem like they should work fine and I am tempted to run some film through them some day.

Alan

4. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You should get a roll of film and try it out. Looks like it takes 6cm x 4.5cm frames; I think that's 16 shots on a roll of 120.

Some of these old folders do a pretty good job. People get a kick when you pop it out and take their picture too.

5. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    OK, I'll give it a shot:

Voigtlander: I believe you have a Bessa 66, a.k.a. Baby Bessa of later production. The first run started in 1930 and had a pop-up viewfinder and no DOF. Later the viewfinder was incorporated in the camera's top plate and a DOF was added.

Rex: This is a stumper for me! I thought it was an Ensign folder, as they have made many models. I also thought to be a Selfix type, an inexpensive camera at the time. But I am not 100% convinced. Help, anyone?... :?:

I hope this helps somewhat identify your folders.

Take care,

Dimitri

6. SleepyLizard

SleepyLizard TPF Noob!

Thank you Dimitri. I looked up the Bessa 66 and one version is identical to mine. I also discovered a serial number on the lens: A168751, so, perhaps one day I can find the exact year of manufacture.

I'm still confused about the Rex :) Elsewhere on the Net, someone was asking about a similar Rex camera and it was suggested it may have been made by the Coronet Camera Co of Birmingham who apparently "badge-engineered" cameras for other retailers under a variety of names.

7. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Coronet Camera Co made cameras primarily of bakelite (sp?) and plastic, but I wouldn't be surprised a bit if they made this folder as well. Hmm... I'll give it a little more research.

Meanwhile enjoy your Bessa 66, it's an awesome little folder.

8. Henriksdal

Henriksdal TPF Noob!

I've inherited a REX (http://static.flickr.com/25/68431037_ac14c8e231.jpg) like SleepyLizard's - a friend over on Flickr pointed me at this thread, in fact - and I was wondering if you've tried it out and have any tips.

I stuck a roll of 120 and tested it last week. I'm still excitedly waiting for the prints to be developed!