Unimaxium

haha jocose was just asking me about this in a pm...

It actually has to do with a really nerdy yet immature joke that has been going around one of my math classes. Here's the explanation:

You might notice that both of these sets contain prime numbers that are six apart. That is 17-11=6, and 4999-4993=6. Sets of prime numbers that are a certain distance apart have special names. Primes that are two apart are called twin primes. When they're four apart they are called cousin primes. And there's a very special name for prime numbers that are six apart.

Click this link.

So that explains why these numbers are funny. Those particular two were just picked because I like them... there are many more six-apart primes.

So yeah... it's pretty obscure, and nerdy, and immature, but ever since our teacher taught us that we've been laughing about it nearly every class. I put those numbers in my signature as a little secret joke to myself every time I read one of my posts :lol:

there's a pickup line if I ever heard one...

"Hey baby, you're just like 2 sets of prime numbers 6 apart i saw the other day..."

geek_inside.jpg

Unimaxium said:
haha jocose was just asking me about this in a pm...

It actually has to do with a really nerdy yet immature joke that has been going around one of my math classes. Here's the explanation:

You might notice that both of these sets contain prime numbers that are six apart. That is 17-11=6, and 4999-4993=6. Sets of prime numbers that are a certain distance apart have special names. Primes that are two apart are called twin primes. When they're four apart they are called cousin primes. And there's a very special name for prime numbers that are six apart.

Click this link.

So that explains why these numbers are funny. Those particular two were just picked because I like them... there are many more six-apart primes.

So yeah... it's pretty obscure, and nerdy, and immature, but ever since our teacher taught us that we've been laughing about it nearly every class. I put those numbers in my signature as a little secret joke to myself every time I read one of my posts :lol:

I'm not sure which makes you the bigger dork...the joke (which is pretty great in my humble opinion) or the fact that you spend your time rereading your posts...

Most reactions

Back