Universities with good photography programs?

iAstonish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wondering if anyone has any personal experience or knowledge in Universities that offer photography as an undergraduate major, with good programs?

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Are we talking UK or US?

Was referring to U.S. Universities, should have clarified that.

If there are any UK Universities you would like to suggest, I would be more than willing to check those out as well. Thanks

Any input on Columbia College in Chicago?

In Australia, just for reference for anyone:

Best is probably RMIT in Melbourne, offering a BA in photography and potentially a postgrad as well.

There's also others like PSC, etc... but RMIT is probably the best.

If there are any UK Universities you would like to suggest, I would be more than willing to check those out as well. Thanks
If you interested in studying in the UK, which I recommend hugely. Because it will offer a completely new culture experience, as well as being cheap.

The UK has a application system called UCAS, this is a list of all the Universitys and Courses, I searched Photography and came up with this - http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsru...whereNext?query=530&word=PHOTOGRAPHY&single=N

Bournemouth is a fantastic University with great Night Light and a very good reputation (for a "newer" uni)

If your interested in having a more course specific break down, look at this http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsru...rdSearch.whereNext?query=530&word=PHOTOGRAPHY

If you really are considering applying to the UK, will need to sign up and to do that you will have to talk to your school. I'd also like to add you have missed the dead-line this year so you will have to apply next year.

Best of Luck with whatever you decide!

Thanks so much everybody for the awesome suggestions! Time to do some research.

Syracuse University S.I. Newhouse has a great program (Thats where I went to) But its not easy to get accepted it very competitive to get in.

I went to columbia college yesterday when i visited chicago- they have a photo museum inside the college and the class i saw looked pretty legit in terms of critiquing art...

I know the Journalism school at the University of Missouri-Columbia (Mizzou) is one of the best in the nation. Not exactly photography, but I'd imagine if the J School is really good, the photojournalism would probably be good as well. It's also a LOT less costly than a university like Columbia College.

Whats your definition of a "good program"?
Where are you?
In NYC, best are NYU, SVA, Pratt, even LIU and KCC and most CUNY and SUNY colleges have photo classes. Do you want an AAS or BA or Masters?
NYFilm Academy has lost its right to hand out degrees BTW. They are still open but NY State Board of Ed. whacked 'em.

Other good schools are in California, UCLA, Chicago art inst, Philly art inst.

Any input on Columbia College in Chicago?
Pick a school that will also teach the business of photography. Based on questions (and images) I have seen posted in various forums from years long students of Columbia College in Chicago, I would look elsewhere.

If you're planning to do photography as a job working for someone else, a university degree is helpful but don't plan on making much in the way of money. Many, many businesses now just use stock and hire commercial photographers rather than have someone in house.

If you are planning to freelance or have your own photography business, go to business school. A university photography degree won't count for nearly as much if you freelance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back