University...Should I?

Artemis

Just Punked Himself
Reaction score
Website
www.falcon-eye.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was talking to Scott about this a little while ago, and a member of my clan a bit before...and they have both really helped me...but I still need more help I think.

A little while ago I went to look at universities...and...ive found one with it seems everything thats right....but...there is a tiny...weeeny problem.

The uni is about 8 hours from where I live...so that means I wouldnt come home, and would have to live away.
My parents are thinking of perhaps buying a cottage up there and letting me live in it and have someone else live with me, who pays rent..and I like the idea...but its still...increadibly daunting.
Is it worth it? What if I get so scared I come home? What if it isnt right for me? what if I get mugged...or my lille cottage trashed? I...just dont know what to do..

Any help would be appreaciated...thanks guys...

Can your parents buy me a cottage?

I would go for it. University is all about leaving the nest.

Oooh, I think I'd rather stay at home and get a job at Tesco's rather than go to Uni, and do beer and girls and stuff, and get qualifications that will open doors for whatever you want to do in the future.

Seriously though, get out there - you got to leave home at some point, it is daunting however it will probably be the best time of your life - it's all downhill from there.

Having parents buy a cottage is an absolute luxury, I got £3.50 for a train ticket when I left home. you might not get mugged, your cottage might not get trashed, and if it does, it's insured - if you don;t know what to do - buy a manual (or Emmanuelle depending on the grey area)

And after all that, how will you know if it isn't right for you if you don;t try it?

think more of what you have to lose - be critical about it, and be honest and rational, and go do it son.

And once you get educated, perhaps you can help figure out why all of a sudden I seem to hit the semicolon instead of the apostrophe! :)

Tempra said it all.
You have to try - I can think of nothing worse than you in fifty years time sitting around wishing you had gone to University and wondering what might have been...
University won't kill you - unless you go to one in Scotland where exploding haggis can be a bit of a hazzard.

Is it worth it? What if I get so scared I come home? What if it isnt right for me? what if I get mugged...or my lille cottage trashed? I...just dont know what to do..
What if you spend years wondering what you missed out on at university and later in life as a result?

It worked for me... I love uni shame i'm graduating in a few weeks. My parents did a similar thing to what yours are proposing, they bought my flat in London for me, I've not had any problems at all. It's too much fun to miss out arty!

You'll be fine. Moving out of home is big and scary ... and a little lonely sometimes. But it's awesome. You realise you can do it on your own. And if you need a little bit of help, your parents aren't really that far away.

Gawsh 8 hours... that's nothing. When I moved out of home, I moved a 23hour plane ride away! hehehe... Yeah I know it was a bit extreme, but I figured it's the only way I was gonna move out. I was so scared because I really would be on my own in a new country with no friends, average language skills and no money. But you know what, it all worked out fine and now I'm going home soon and still have hundreds of things I want to do here. :-(

You'll love university. Go Go Go! It's seriously the best. You're in a place with people who have the same interests as you and are (generally) there for the same reason. You'll meet some of your best friends at uni, you'll have so much fun meeting people, partying, drinking bucket loads of coffee cramming for exams... oh yeah and you might learn something too. hehehe.

Thanks guys...im really thinking I will do it now....ive been thinking about it alot today...and I need to do it :)

And Hertz, the place is Carlisle, so it is vertually in scotland...or very close to the border...

Artemis said:
Thanks guys...im really thinking I will do it now....ive been thinking about it alot today...and I need to do it :)

And Hertz, the place is Carlisle, so it is vertually in scotland...or very close to the border...

Carlisle is good. World class courses there - and of course fabulous parties Friday night. You'll love it (just avoid the haggis).
But if you haven't been there already then go to check it out and get the feel of the place.

The Lake District on your doorstep, the coast at your side and Hadrians wall to have a wander along - get yourself some grad filters, a moped and a tripod and have fun!

Why did you have to even think? :)

I teach at a college here in Michigan and I still take classes. I love it. Don't miss out doing this.

Well...thats totally made up my mind...If I had to choose right now...id go...and im happy witht aht decision...thanks guys...:)

May be nice to have a small place to call my own, and to learn photography properly so I can do it properly :)

not that you need further encouragement, but going to uni and getting that little piece of paper at the end will make getting a good job, that much easier then w/o having that little piece of paper.

for me, college was a blast... i had a great time there, shooting pool, playing pingpong, video games, meeting new people all the time, all the club activities, etc. oh yea... classes were alright too.

for me the first time i stayed out til 6am in New York City (went to school about 30 min. from there) and nobody was around to yell at me or anything for being out so late, really cemented it for me, that this is almost what growing up is like :D

uni is really a good time to experiment with life. you get to try a lot of different things, but all with the confidence of a safety net.

good luck :) personally, i love scotland...

Most reactions

Back