Unprofessional photographer

BrandyRolin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello i am a model ,I do a lot if trade for time /trade for print shoots to update my port and also to meet new talent .I did a shoot out back in October ""Halloween Shoot out" with several photographers ,one photographer haven't produced the photos of our shoot I mention it 3 times last night being my last time .I received the photos but they are not edited and they look pixelated ,I stated with a leading question these are not edited right ? Would it be ok if I edit them ,he replied back go for it as long as it is good ...wow really that is unprofessional in my opinion .
Any one know how to clean up the photos
image.jpg

Hi Brandy,

This image is very low resolution and any edits done to it would only degrade the quality of it further.

I think that particular photographer is an arsehole for not giving you full res, edited images. He would not fair well in this forum: So.. this is a rant about a model who didn t pay for a shoot and expects un-watermarked images. Photography Forum

You said there were several photographers that day? I think in this case, unless he dares enter here, you may have to make do with the other photographers' images.

In future, make sure that both parties understand what you will both be getting out of the TFP shoot before the camera shutter is clicked.

There's no fixing that, even if he sent you high resolution files. It's never going to be something you should put in your portfolio.

There's no fixing that, even if he sent you high resolution files. It's never going to be something you should put in your portfolio.
this is what I was thinking.

Honestly, I wouldn't want this in my portfolio if I were you anyways. I would let this one slide, and move on.

Just a point - we operate a rule here that if you don't own copyright and/or distribution rights over a photo that you can't host it on the sites gallery nor embed it into the forum; though you can freely put links to 3rd party hosts. I'm saying that as I know how what your TFP contract outlines and whilst one might assume it contains a clause that allows you to display the photos you're given as part of the shoot; there might be restrictions.

If you don't have a contract that outlines the rights make sure you get one for the next time and play it by caution for any shoots you don't have a contract for (ergo assume you might not have distribution right for general public showing). It's just ensuring that you don't end up getting a nasty letter from a photographer angry about you showing the shots around.

Mod wise I'm assuming you have distribution rights - if not please take a moment to host offsite and link to the photos in the future please.

As for your question the others have answered it well. This is a highly pixelated image way beyond saving; furthermore some elements of it such as the rather harsh looking light and reflections off your skin make it less than suitable for a portfolio even if this should could be fixed up. Whatever happened it sounds like the guy either had a bad day and got rubbish shots; or for some reason doesn't want to give you the full versions. If you network (on a site like Model Mayhem) then best course of action is to not book/arrange with that photographer again and leave a detailed, polite and honest review upon any review system they have. Don't take a cheap shot with insults, just be clear and calm to inform others - that will do more good in stopping others getting a similar poor experience.

If you have not received some decent images from an October shoot, you're probably out of luck with that photographer; the guy is obviously a turd. Four months is an utterly unacceptable turnaround time on a simple TF shoot.

I am not seeing pixelation in that photo. I am seeing posterization and JPEG artifacts due to the low bit depth and low resolution.

I can fully appreciate your annoyance, having given up your time and not received anything for almost 4 months, then to be handed low resolution, unedited images, is a smack in the face and speaks volumes about the photographer's ethics and respect. As others have said, if you have images from the same shoot that day, I would just chalk this one up to experience and never work with them again.

Looking at the shot you posted, it certainly isn't going to enhance your portfolio anyway.

If you want a quality portfolio, shoot with quality photographers.

If you're serious about trying to build your portfolio, pay someone to do it, don't just do a bunch of sh*tty Model Mayhem TFP shoots.

It's annoying you wasted your time with him, but on that same token, you get what you pay for in image quality and professionalism.

If you're serious about trying to build your portfolio, pay someone to do it, don't just do a bunch of sh*tty Model Mayhem TFP shoots.

:sorrow::sorrow::sorrow::sorrow::sorrow: - Why do you continue to say such hurtful things about me? It all just feels so cheap/dirty when money gets involved. (Oh AND it ruins my amateur status)

You can get good free skill trades and this one that hte OP attended sounds like a group affair so likely there wasn't the option/chance/need to do a personal vetting on each photographer attending (depends how it was all setup and such).

That said there are many good guides out there on checking that the person you're going to trade skills with has the skill and also the history of providing a good product, working well, on time etc.... Network with other models in your area; you'll pick up names of good reliable photographers that way - read reviews on photographers - check out their posting history and such - search their user name(s). Basically do some homework and you can oft find enough out about someone to tell if they are going to be a safe bet to work with.

Be firm too; sometimes you might turn up and they turn up in a totally undesirable manner or act as such during etc.., so don't be afraid to call them out and walk away (if you're doing modelling with strangers you'll be taking a friend with you as well anyway for moral support).

As said paying for services improves the chances of a honest situation; but even then you can have differences between the upper and lower ends of the pay scale. Plus some people charge lots and are still hopeless so you've still got to do just as much homework.

Most reactions

Back