Unprofessional photographer

The one question that I don't believe has been answered is, "Did the photographer know what was expected of him?" If he was relatively new to the whole "TF* thing, he may not have been fully aware, and while that doesn't excuse his actions, perhaps it may explain them?

You can get good free skill trades

You CAN... sometimes... but those are generally very specific situations, and I highly doubt that was the case.

The group situation has partly to do with it, but there's another huge factor that... I just... I won't go into because it'll get me banned. :laugh2:

So. I'm just gonna not... and instead say.............

Next time, do your research, hire a quality photographer that can help you build a quality portfolio, because if you're *seriously* trying to pursue modeling, that image above and anything like it is not going to get you booked on a real job anywhere.

Has anyone pointed out that this is a bad photo?

I tried to imply it in my first post.

But here... let me go ahead and spell it out entirely :lol: :

This is a bad photo. Why do you even want to use it in your portfolio? Don't waste your time editing it. Just delete it. Be glad he didn't do anything with his images, because if they're all like the above photo, they're just going to make you look bad.

I think I can read e.rose's mind...

If you've done a lot already for a portfolio it might be time to start pursuing paid work as a model and paying a reputable photographer for good professional quality photos.

And get things in writing, even if done in trade, to maintain control of how photos of you may be used.

I think I can read e.rose's mind...

If you've done a lot already for a portfolio it might be time to start pursuing paid work as a model and paying a reputable photographer for good professional quality photos.

And get things in writing, even if done in trade, to maintain control of how photos of you may be used.
That's not *quite* where I was going, but that's good advice, regardless. :allteeth:

You should not have to pay the photographer.

There are many things you might pay something for, lessons in improving your modeling skills, hair, makeup. But paying the photographer isn't one of them.

There are plenty of bozos who will charge and plenty of skilled photographers who will trade. The important thing is to pick a photographer who shoots good photos and has the portfolio to prove it, not to pay.

Don't feel bad. At least I put this photo in good use.
x.jpg

You should not have to pay the photographer.

There are many things you might pay something for, lessons in improving your modeling skills, hair, makeup. But paying the photographer isn't one of them.

There are plenty of bozos who will charge and plenty of skilled photographers who will trade. The important thing is to pick a photographer who shoots good photos and has the portfolio to prove it, not to pay.

I mean... that's incorrect. But... that's okay, because this is the interwebz.

[SNIP: I sat here for about 5 minutes starting to write out a whole explanation, but then I realized that I'm hungry and I just don't care because... this is the interwebz and I have better things to do than to try to explain to the interwebz how the professional modeling and commercial photography world works.

I'm gonna go eat pizza now. And hang out on my best friend's couch and play really f***ing nerdy card games online, and edit some photos in between matches. :lol: :allteeth: ]

I know this seems crazy, e.rose, but you're not the only person in the world who knows things.

I wasn't too clear was I erose? lol I meant I got where you were going (I think), the rest of my comments were my own thoughts.

erose knows her stuff. At some point if you want professional quality results you'll probably need to hire a pro.

it is entirely possibly to find good photographic talent, just starting out, that is willing to trade quality work for getting pictures to build their own portfolio. every great photographer had to start somewhere, and TF's are a much better option for portfolio building than stealing other photographers work. The notion that anyone "trading" work isn't producing good results seems rather silly to me.

on the flip side, established/experienced models that have specific photographic needs and time frames are often better off paying an established/experienced photographer and having a much better chance of getting exactly what they want when they need it.

Its the same for the photographer too...if you want a specific look and don't want to spend a lot of time directing, hire an experienced model.

I think it really comes down to what your needs are, and what you are willing/able to settle for.

Photoguy - eh I don't know what you're on about. As Pix says there are times when you can find what you need in this market for little cost; but also times when you have to pay for it. Indeed many times those with high skill are going to cost - it might mean a huge fee; it might mean pizza and petrol money.

Heck for this kind of work you have photographer, hair, make-up, assistants, model, supporting models, sets, props. A really great shoot can involve a lot of people and sometimes you can pull some or all of it together for a trade and everyone walks away a winner where the "fee" was each other being there to work; other times you'll have to save up and pay up for it because what you want isn't out there for free; or because getting it all at the same time is too difficult to risk having one "flake out" on the day etc..

What stands true no matter paid or free is doing homework on the people you hire/are hired by. That and good communication before the event. If you turn up knowing what's needed, knowing what's expected and knowing what you'll walk away with it will go faster, smoother and better than turning up and being all "ok er you want me to do what - oooh wait I wish you'd said I could have brought that dress that would hav worked great for that shot....etc.."

And hang out on my best friend's couch and play really f***ing nerdy card games online, and edit some photos in between matches. :lol: :allteeth: ]

Go to Amazon/local geek store
Buy Munchkin
Enjoy company with improved madness and nerdyness and fun!
Buy Munchkin Expansions
Enjoy enhanced, improved madness and nerdyness and fun!

Obviously you CAN pay a photographer, for whatever kind of shoot you want. There's lots of photographers who would be happy to take your money. Obviously there comes a degree of specificity at which you are going to have a hard time finding a TF photographer, sure. Why are we even talking about this?

If you want some basic stuff for your portfolio, which is what the OP seems to be talking about, and even if you want it shot extremely well, there are tons of guys out there who'd fit the bill. You just have to find them, which isn't going to be any harder in most places than finding someone who'll take your money. The important thing is whether they can deliver some good pictures, and the fact that they charge or do not is unrelated.

Or are we suddenly saying that photographers who charge money are automatically better? Because, well, that would be a bit of a switch.

Most reactions

Back