Unprofessional photographer

Or are we suddenly saying that photographers who charge money are automatically better? Because, well, that would be a bit of a switch.

Yes.

The photographers skill level is, of course, not based upon payment. You can be outstanding and charge nothing and be rubbish and charge the Earth. However when money enters the equation little hiccups tend to vanish. People actually have more reason to turn up for the event - either because they have paid to be there and thus don't want to lose out; or because by attending they are going to be paid (oft the rest of the fee after the deposit).

Asides which no one in this thread has said that the OP MUST pay. We've been simply presenting the idea that free service trade does indeed work, but that alongside sometimes you have to consider investing to get what you want. Either way its been repeatedly said that the best way to avoid trouble is to do your homework - free or paid do the homework to make sure you get what you're after.

Apparently we are reading different threads. In the one I am reading two separate people have said that the OP would have to pay (well, didn't HAVE to pay, if you want to get nitpicky, but would have to pay if she wanted good portfolio photos. If she doesn't, well, clearly she's free to do whatever she likes).

It is this contention I have difficulty with, since there are people on this very forum who do fine work, sometimes on a TF basis.

My background and information extends somewhat outside the forum, as well, as it happens, but that's largely irrelevant.

Apparently we are reading different threads. In the one I am reading two separate people have said that the OP would have to pay (well, didn't HAVE to pay, if you want to get nitpicky, but would have to pay if she wanted good portfolio photos. If she doesn't, well, clearly she's free to do whatever she likes).

It is this contention I have difficulty with, since there are people on this very forum who do fine work, sometimes on a TF basis.

My background and information extends somewhat outside the forum, as well, as it happens, but that's largely irrelevant.

its all speculative anyway.
there's no evidence one way or the other that the OP could or could not have found a quality photographer to do her shoot for free. The only actual factual piece of information we have is that the OP did a TF shoot and received (and I think we can all agree on this, yes?) a sub-par image. It is my opinion that either scenario, whether it be finding a good photographer for free or having to pay for one, could be equally likely under ideal conditions. I do believe though, that there is probably at least a slightly better chance of success for both a quality image and a timely/professional shoot from a paid professional.

As others said this image is pretty far gone...but at least I think this is a little better...

image-fix-2.jpg

On a completely separate note, that dress is what a red channel that's been blown to hell and gone looks like, right?

Red and yellow are nasty colours that do blow-out easily (as any flower photographer will tell you). They can be nightmares to control; but yes I'd say that dress looks like the red colour channel has blown out - but its hard to tell because of the overall low quality of what we have. Might be in the original it wasn't so bad (or if done in RAW might even have been a simple white balance change to mostly fix). But in its current form yes - that's blown out red.

That's not *quite* where I was going, but that's good advice, regardless. :allteeth:
I know damn well I read her mind in that post. Be kind; rewind.

There's no fixing that, even if he sent you high resolution files. It's never going to be something you should put in your portfolio.
You are right ,this was a shoot out organized ,I had excellent photos from the others i shoot with .o am satisfied with the turn out from others ,.ill show you example
image.jpg

If you have not received some decent images from an October shoot, you're probably out of luck with that photographer; the guy is obviously a turd. Four months is an utterly unacceptable turnaround time on a simple TF shoot.
Hi Brandy,

This image is very low resolution and any edits done to it would only degrade the quality of it further.

I think that particular photographer is an arsehole for not giving you full res, edited images. He would not fair well in this forum: So.. this is a rant about a model who didn t pay for a shoot and expects un-watermarked images. Photography Forum

You said there were several photographers that day? I think in this case, unless he dares enter here, you may have to make do with the other photographers' images.

In future, make sure that both parties understand what you will both be getting out of the TFP shoot before the camera shutter is clicked.
I agree with you ,not really such as rant as a statement ,I was more less looking for some advice or knowledge on how to fix these there was a few that I liked if they was clearer or fixable.I have received all other photos with in days of shoot and totally satisfied ,and I am only saying I think it could of been worded a little different or perhaps offered to fix one or two photos of my choice .

The one question that I don't believe has been answered is, "Did the photographer know what was expected of him?" If he was relatively new to the whole "TF* thing, he may not have been fully aware, and while that doesn't excuse his actions, perhaps it may explain them?
Ohh no sir he has been in to this awhile really ,I look at his work and thought wow he does good .I just left him
But it's ok these events is where you meet new faces and work with those you know and those that you haven't workec with before .Basically got what I was looking for just not fixable . all learning experience .

As others said this image is pretty far gone...but at least I think this is a little better...

View attachment 96029
Yes it is much better indeed .i am just trying to understand what went wrong and if i could fix my self I would .A lot of our events shoot outs are for fun and meet new faces and every one come together and have a little fun and dress up for themes and different things .updating ports and mingle .most of the time we have the same photographers and most same models exception new faces but to see what others work is like ..
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

View attachment 96029
Yes it is much better indeed .i am just trying to understand what went wrong and if i could fix my self I would .A lot of our events shoot outs are for fun and meet new faces and every one come together and have a little fun and dress up for themes and different things .updating ports and mingle .most of the time we have the same photographers and most same models exception new faces but to see what others work is like ..View attachment 96156 View attachment 96157View attachment 96158View attachment 96159View attachment 96160
Thank you Parker 219

There is no fixing that image, no matter how much you edit it. I would just scrap it and not work with this person again.[/QUOTE
I won't be ,I believe in second chances I understand some times things happen but how ever it was the way it was handled that really was the down fall .I just moved along and note to self .. Thank you for all of your and every ones input on this .i love to get in to photography and editing so I am trying to learn the ropes as well .

There is no fixing that image, no matter how much you edit it. I would just scrap it and not work with this person again.[/QUOTE
I won't be ,I believe in second chances I understand some times things happen but how ever it was the way it was handled that really was the down fall .I just moved along and note to self .. Thank you for all of your and every ones input on this .i love to get in to photography and editing so I am trying to learn the ropes as well .

Yeah. When I had my business I delivered photos within a week maximum. That's unacceptable behavior. If the photos were simply not up to par (as these obviously were) I would have apologized to the client and offered a free re-shoot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back