Unreliable models

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Village Idiot, May 16, 2008.

1. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    We've had 4 out of 8 models either cancel or fail to return calls/text for a shoot we're doing tomorrow in the past 24 hours. This seems to be typical behavior and I wouldn't be surprised if we lose another one at least.

Why are they so unreliable? I'm going to start asking for a $50 deposit that's only refundable after the event is complete so we can at least all go to the bar when no models show up.

2. dslrchat

dslrchat TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If ya run into troubles, just send me a line I'll fill in.
    [​IMG]
    :biglaugh::biglaugh:

3. zendianah

zendianah TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thats funny!!!! Shes hot.

4. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Shine on you crazy diamond.

5. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Spill some more details. Where are these models coming from? Are you paying them? Describe the shoot.

Love & Bass

6. notelliot

notelliot TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    are you speaking of models, or people you've asked to model for you?

fine line, big difference. professional models are more reliable. not a lot more, but their rep is at stake the same way it would be for any other job.

you say you should start charging a 50 dollar deposit? i'm wondering why you didn't in the first place. it seems like you've asked some people you know to model for you for free? no offense, but no one will care about your friends not showing up.
    if your clients aren't showing up, i still wonder why you wouldn't ask for a sitting fee or deposit.

i go through the same thing quite often. for me, the deposit usually creates a lot of tension. what works best is voicing yourself. if you don't want your models to abandon you, tell them "you're wasting my time and i don't really care for it"

7. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've heard from a few people who have had similar experiences with models they find on-line. Usually from Model Mayhem or One Model Place etc.

As mentioned, it's probably better to go with more 'professional' models which probably means going through an agency. That way, it's the agency's responsibility to have the model there.

8. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are flakes all over the place.

If you have a client who can foot the bill, go to an agency.

9. trunion

trunion TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I have had the same experience and have gotten them from ModelMayhem, the best advice is to be upfront with them, and tell them if they waste your time, you will not schedule anything with them again. It works, but then again , not 100% of the time. I have had models that are going to be paid , flake, so not allot you can do, other than regroup and try again.

10. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    We had about 12 confirmed models. 2 showed up.

4 were friends of mine, three that model/have modeled previously (none which showed, one which made me wait 20 minutes this morning before cancelling), and the rest were mostly model mayhem people with different levels of experience.

There's just something inconsiderate with making plans and cancelling last minute or not even showing up. And this isn't a one time thing. We've have about four other meet ups with models flaking out.

It's like they want to play model, but when it comes down to getting real photos or "work", they don't want to do it. I mean one or two girls that scheduled for the meetup had P&S photos for her profile on MM. We even provide links to work of the attending photographers and it's good stuff.

oh well. they're the one's missing out...

/rant.

11. Rhys

Rhys TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A family friend used to run a brothel (she got out of that and now works for one of the aid charities in Africa). Her one big complaint about the girls that worked for her is that they were largely very unreliable, turning up if and when they remembered etc. She said they were the kind of women that would never hold down a regular job because of their lackadaisical attitude toward turning up and time-keeping. It sounds as though the models are exactly the same.

12. benjieO

benjieO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    most freelance "professional" models tend to be flaky. at least here in the philippines, that is. I've had quite a few flake on the last minute, sometimes not even caring to call or send an SMS message.

After 5 flakes from these "models", I stopped dealing with freelancers and went to agencies.