Unsatisfied Customer.

yeah I thought I was giving them one heck of a deal. I did it so cheap to match someone elses price, or so I was told. It was about 2 hours there but yeah I probably do have 30 hours invested. I did screen print all the pages as well as printed hard copies.

Before taking any drastic actions, Ask them what is wrong with the photo's
then tel lthem how much of a bargain they got ($3000 worth of a bargain at least)

Have they said what they are unhappy with? I would want to know that first. It could just be that they overspent and have buyer's remorse, or there could have been a misunderstanding on what they were looking for. Once you know what they think is wrong you'll know if it is something you can fix and where to go from there.

this is amazing deal your clients have... they would like it even cheaper? did they say the reason for their luck of satisfaction?

then tel lthem how much of a bargain they got ($3000 worth of a bargain at least)

No. Telling a customer how much of a wonderful bargain they got gains you nothing and only makes them more angry. For a customer, it feels like you're trying to sideline the issue, or that somehow you're justified in giving them crap (not saying the images actually were bad) because you charge less. Everyone expects the best, even when they pay minicule amounts of money.

No. Telling a customer how much of a wonderful bargain they got gains you nothing and only makes them more angry. For a customer, it feels like you're trying to sideline the issue, or that somehow you're justified in giving them crap (not saying the images actually were bad) because you charge less. Everyone expects the best, even when they pay minicule amounts of money.

Agreed. You took on a job and the quality of your work should be the same no matter what the fee. If it was too good a deal for them maybe you should have not taken the job but that is another story.

Btw, this is a general you. This comment is not directed specifically at the OP.

I have a couple of statements in my T&C's to cover this type of occurance. Something like this:
The client's art director is to give a "shot list" with some sort of expectation for resulting images.

If no art director is involved, than I will shoot my interpretation of their direction, using photographic composition determined by the photographer.

If the customer demands a re-shoot due to a lack of direction on their part, customer pays for the re-shoot.

It may sound a bit detailed, but it addresses exactly this type of problem. I feel the contract should indicate/manage the work to be done, the deliverable, the price and who is responsible for what and what each party is required to provide.

If this is the 1st time you're shooting for this client, chances are they're just looking for an excuse to "stick" you. If so, you probably don't want to work for them in the future.

When I deviate from my price sheet, I always quote the full price in my contract but indicate I'm giving a discount. Call the discount "introductory" if you want, but it set's the tone for the next contract and your pricing.

Thank you all soooo much. I emailed them a letter stating my case but have not heard from them. Either they've chose to ignore me or haven't checked their email. I guess we'll see

Thank you all soooo much. I emailed them a letter stating my case but have not heard from them. Either they've chose to ignore me or haven't checked their email. I guess we'll see
What if it takes several weeks for them to get the email?

Email delivery is not guaranteed. Usually, it takes just a minute or so, but not always. That's why it's not considered a good business practice to use email in a situation like you have.

If you don't already have the books:
Best Business Practices for Photographers by John Harrington www.johnharrington.com
and
Professional Business Practices in Photography by the ASMP (American Society of Media Photographers) www.asmp.org
you might want to consider getting them.

Thanks for updating the thread. Real business experiences like this are informative on many levels for other photographers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back