Unsure of which camera

Glassjaw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am somewhat new to photography. I have messed around with friend's small P&S cameras and have gotten good results, and am looking at DSLR's. I have been studying and looking at the Olympus E-500 mainly, and it interests me but I have some quarrels with what the reviews are saying. I am aware that the main prosumer cameras are the Nikon D50/70, E-3/500 and Cannon 350D.

I am not sure which to pick, and as said earlier am mainly interested in the E-500. I know I will be taking photos of a friends band for promo shots as well as live photography, so a higher ISO will not mix well with the E-500 which is what I am worried about. Although, on the other hand I really do like the idea of very rarely, if ever, having to clean the sensor.

I'm sure you all get this question quite often; I have read all the reviews over and over but simply want some re-assurance and other opinions. So: (Aside from which feels better in my hand) "Which camera would you all suggest?"

You've answered your own question really. You're going to be doing a lot of high ISO work, and the only camera in the lineup which doesn't do that as well as the others is the Olympus.

The Canon and Nikon systems have a broader range of choice, and they are generally cheap lenses.

Sensor cleaning is one of those things really. It's probably not the biggest factor for many people in choosing a camera, so I would only count is as a bonus, not a decider.

If you're shooting only gigs, then the obvious choices are the Nikon and Canon as they have a better range of medium distance, wide aperture zooms and primes. Between the two... toss a coin. However, if you only occasionally do a gig, then it sounds like you like the Olympus.

Rob

As I say to everyone, You really need to read reviews upon the internet (coming soon to MonkeyImage.com :)) And then once you have a better idea of what camera you wish to buy go into a camera store (I prefer Jessops as they are always happy to help and you can try out the cameras tosee which suits you best.

Good Luck.

Dust on the sensor is not an issue. I've never cleaned my sensor. It has dust yeah, but I only see it if I shoot at f/16 or smaller against a blue sky. Every once and while I'll have to clone out a few spots. It's not a big deal. It's also not hard to clean anyway. If you take care when you change lenses, you won't have a problem.

Rob said:
You've answered your own question really. You're going to be doing a lot of high ISO work, and the only camera in the lineup which doesn't do that as well as the others is the Olympus.

The Canon and Nikon systems have a broader range of choice, and they are generally cheap lenses.

Sensor cleaning is one of those things really. It's probably not the biggest factor for many people in choosing a camera, so I would only count is as a bonus, not a decider.

If you're shooting only gigs, then the obvious choices are the Nikon and Canon as they have a better range of medium distance, wide aperture zooms and primes. Between the two... toss a coin. However, if you only occasionally do a gig, then it sounds like you like the Olympus.

Rob

I won't only be shooting shows and what not, I will do alot more, but I know for a fact that I will be shooting shows. Aside from the higher ISO, are there really major differences between the cameras?

Also, what I'm worried about with the Nikon D50 is fact it's 6MP instead of 8MP, is there a huge difference or is it not enough to worry myself over?

the 1.9 megapixles makes almost no diferance and the nikon is a better camera i have a d50 and i love it to death just get some decent lenses
oh and just to ad if u can by the d50 bodie alone then by ether the 18-200 nikor or the 18-70 nikor

kemplefan said:
the 1.9 megapixles makes almost no diferance and the nikon is a better camera i have a d50 and i love it to death just get some decent lenses
oh and just to ad if u can by the d50 bodie alone then by ether the 18-200 nikor or the 18-70 nikor
It's nice that you like Nikon, but you've been promoting getting Nikon pieces even in threads that ask about Canon glass. They both make great products. Just because that's the brand you chose, doesn't mean it's going to be right for everyone else.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back