Upcoming Rainstorm

Feeling bad about posting so many negative comments in such a short time. :apologetic:

The lighthouse is beautifully lit and photographed in the calm evening light, but the calm sea on the left, the distant sea that shows light in reflection not dark cloud, and the brightness of the distance all conspire to make this look like an image where the overhead cloud has been artificially darkened for dramatic effect. There are a host of visual indicators that accompany bad weather not just dark clouds. Also you would expect to see some deeper shadow in the rocks so lifting the shadows too much looks a little un-natural, and indicates some brighter light coming from under the dark clouds! Distant thunderclouds do act a big white reflectors an are the main culprit in producing that special "weird light" but not to the extent or of as high a contrast that you've added.

Last edited:
Because as said, "it's how you look at things" it looks beautiful to me.

Great lighting, beautiful scene.

I like the tones and light. Nice scene.

Feeling bad about posting so many negative comments in such a short time. :apologetic:

The lighthouse is beautifully lit and photographed in the calm evening light, but the calm sea on the left, the distant sea that shows light in reflection not dark cloud, and the brightness of the distance all conspire to make this look like an image where the overhead cloud has been artificially darkened for dramatic effect. There are a host of visual indicators that accompany bad weather not just dark clouds. Also you would expect to see some deeper shadow in the rocks so lifting the shadows too much looks a little un-natural, and indicates some brighter light coming from under the dark clouds! Distant thunderclouds do act a big white reflectors an are the main culprit in producing that special "weird light" but not to the extent or of as high a contrast that you've added.

I understand what you're saying but editing and photography as an art is so subjective it is hard to know what is too much or too little.
Here is an example with the barest minimum of editing.....
D810#3 Cape Circle #3-Rain-24-70 HD3 by drummist53, on Flickr

Looks pretty good on this end, but I think the building / lighthouse is a bit over-exposed. I did not mind the contrasty clouds :)

I personally prefer the 1st version. I only did the second to see what a minimalist version would look like.

I like it. Sets the right kind of mood for me. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it. The only change I would make is i'd mask over the house/lighthouse and drop the exposure in that area a bit since it seems a bit over-exposed. Though I really do like the image, and love that lighthouse. Great shot. A+.

Most reactions

Back