Upgrade body or lenses?

poopingfish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ive currently got an Xt. Looking around the forums I feel kinda left out :(
I was going to be buying a Tokina 10-17, external flash of sorts, 50 1.8, and a maybe the Canon 55-250IS tele. Adding it all up its about a grand.

Realizing this, should I use the money to get a new body? Im really wanting one and this may very well be my only chance for awhile. Im thinking perhaps a used 30D or maybe higher. Then with the money left over and selling my XT get a new lense.
I know its all about the glass, but this is quite the entry level body and a rare chance for me.

I value all input, thanks guys.

The main two cameras I want is either the 40D or a D80. although I dont know anything of Nikon lenses as of yet.

Last edited:
Keep the XT and get some good glass.

Why do you feel left out? Lots of people here use a XT (aka 350D); I do, for one - lots of others do too though.

The XT (350D) is plenty capable, get some decent lenses and you'll be impressed with the results.

I just upgraded from an XT to a 30D. After selling my XT I ended up spending about $300. My biggest reason for upgrading was that I wanted to be able to shoot at ISO 3200. If there is something the XT can't do that you really need it to do (ISO3200, spot metering, 5 FPS) then get a new body. Otherwise, get new glass.

Well, hopefully better colors. Higher res shots although that doesnt actually matter. I would like a faster burst rate for skating sequences. The 3200 would also be a little nicer for skating shots in lower light without using a harsh flash.

Do you think Iso3200 after being PPd in decent light would be better then 1600 with a 230EX?

I agree with the others and go for new lenses over a new body unless you NEED the features on the new body. Think of it this way: (1) Lenses get revised much less often than bodies, and so will be out-of-date MUCH less quickly than a new body would; and (2) A new body shooting through poor glass will still give you a worse photo than good lenses mounted on an older body ... in MOST situations.

Glass, glass.....did I mention.....glass.

This answer, unlike most other subjects, is likely to be quite unanimous.

One thing to mention, the 50D just came out, so a lot of 30D and 40D owners may consider upgrading so you'll see some bodies go out on Craig's List.

I think Ill continue to get the lenses. When the time comes I gain extra money Ill try and buy a used 40d if I can.

Now I cant decide whether to get me telephoto lens or 50 1.8 first. I have to wait on the tokina.

I think Ill continue to get the lenses. When the time comes I gain extra money Ill try and buy a used 40d if I can.

Now I cant decide whether to get me telephoto lens or 50 1.8 first. I have to wait on the tokina.

Good decision:)

you cant ALWAYS pick glass over a body. if youre low on gear right now and havent really got the chance to experience a new lens then go for that. and a hot shoe flash is another essential.

Normally I would say glass first, but since your current body does not have the features you need, an upgrade may be in hand. That said, wait a bit for the price to drop on the 40D. It will make it's way to the $850 range shortly once the 50D is released. The 6.5fps is great for sequence shot. Pair it with a larger aperature telephoto and you should be able to capture the skating scenes. To capture moving subjects and action shots, there is really no substitute for fast glass IS or not. If price is an issue, check out the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 that many here tout. The Canon model is as good as it gets.

I look at things like this - at the end of the day the kit is there to let you get a photo.

Now a lens lets you get the light and image into a camera body - the light let in, quality of glass, zoom range, and more all from the lens let you capture the sight how you want it to be - whilst all the body does is record that sight.
Based on that lenses nearly always beat bodies since they are directly affecting what and how you shoot - what you can and cannot get.

A body though is a recording device - if you find that you are in a position where you lenses are getting the sight, but the body cannot record then you have to start thinking - firstly is it settings and technique? If that is not the problem then is it lighting (flashes and light stands in some cases)? After that is it things like noise levels or clarity - - if so then the body might well be worth replacing.

Myself I prefer to build up lenses, flashguns, tripods and all manner of kit that willl last and see me through the years - people are raving about the new bodies at the moment, give it a few years and they will be calling them slow, noisy, poor focusers and all manner of other names in light of the bodies being released!

Good points all.

I know the lens officially decided the picture more or less, but if I dont upgrade now itll be awhile til I can again. I dont have a job and have no way of income.
A new body will give me:
Faster sequence
Possile color improvements?
Better dynamic range? I hate having half a persons face unerexposed then the other half blown. This is a biggie for me.
Higher ISO for skating shots without a harsh flash or need for a 430ex+.

Lens:
Sharper pictures, flexibility and better photos all around. The faster stop of example the 50 1.8 will allow me to take photos in lower light with a lower iso.

If I get a used 40D I might still be able to get my 10-17 after some time.
Getting a used D80 the tokina wouldnt be too hard to get.
Ill still get more lenses staying with my xt.

How do the D80 and 40D compare?

Im leaning towards keeping the XT. When I do upgrade ideally id like a full frame body.
Now im looking for a decent normal-tele lens for around 300. Hmm.

A new body will give me:
Faster sequence
Possile color improvements?
Better dynamic range? I hate having half a persons face unerexposed then the other half blown. This is a biggie for me.
Higher ISO for skating shots without a harsh flash or need for a 430ex+.
Faster "sequence" - yes. Is it that important to you? Worth a couple hundred dollars?

Color improvements - A better lens will show greater color reproduction than a new body, I think.

Better dynamic range - To a very small extent. The situation you described likely won't be improved that much. It still comes down to good lighting.

Higher ISO - Yes you'll get higher ISO, but I would guess you're not using that 430ex to the best of it's abilities. A couple more flashes, some wireless triggers, and some clamps would probably be a better investment than a new body. Unless you're going to upgrade to a D3 or something else that performs incredibly well at high ISO.

I may have misunderstood. Are you shooting skateboarding or ice skating? For skateboarding you'll definitely want flashes, not higher ISO. You just need to learn how to use your flashes better (get more, and get them off your camera).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back