Upgrade From A100 to Canon XSi or 40D?

I'm guessing top of the line lens from any brand will produce similar quality. Question lie in price of lens - I've heard of people moving from Nikon to Canon because of cheaper high end lens. I do not understand Nikon lens nomenclature so not idea if that is true.
Yes, it's true.

B&H prices:

Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS: $3900
Nikon 300mm f/2.8 VR: $4500
Sony 300mm f/2.8 $5930 :confused: :confused:

Well gee, I thought Nikon prices were higher (it does get worse at the $5-10k price range), but now I don't feel so bad. A 300mm f/2.8 is the first serious super tele for sports. At the Sony prices, you could buy the Canon instead and pickup a 40D to shoot it with, and heck a few teleconverters too and still come out ahead. To see the same difference with Nikon/Canon you have to be up at the 400mm range.

BruceH - Go get "Understanding Exposure" by Peterson.

Worth a $1,000 lens, all by itself. (And I learned more from it that my first Photography class at the local Jr. College.) Read it before Everest!!!

So yesterday I ordered Understand Exposure. Can't wait to get it.

Figured I'd celebrate, so today I bought a Canon 40d w/17-85mm IS lens, and for good measure a Canon 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM lens. Decided on the Canon for sure thanks to Mav's last 2 posts, especially the lens price comparison. Now I can join the "what's with all the newbies with the $1000 camera thread".

Anyways, looking forward to everything. Thanks everybody for all the suggestions, much appreciated.

Bruce, im in the same boat as you.

Im deciding upon the Canon XSi / 450D or the 40D.

I do large format landscape photography and cityscape work so i need a camera that operates best at sunsets and at night. Megapixels vs noise is important.

Can anyone help me decide ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back