Upgrade from kit lens

Deneuve

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am planning to start a lifestyle/travel blog soon as a way to investigate my passion for photography. I'll be moving to a new city, so I'm planning to take your regular photos that you'd see in a lifestyle blog - things like portraits/medium shots, urban/architecture, food, clothes/accessories, minimalistic etc. I've so far only been using the kit lens on my D5200 and I'm looking to upgrade. So, given the things I'm planning to shoot, I looked into Nikkor 50mm and 85mm. I must say I'm a fan of the "bokeh" effect, so I guess the 35mm wouldn't be a choice to start with. (By the way, is it just me or the equivalents for Canon produce softer images with greater depth of field than Nikon?!) I'd appreciate it greatly if you shared your opinions on these lenses and whether they'd be suitable in my case. Feel free to suggest any other lenses that you reckon would serve the purpose.

Another thing that I've noticed with the kit lens is the fact that the angles often get twisted. I'd like to avoid that problem with my new lens, especially when shooting buildings, for instance. Also, my current lens understandably performs awful indoors, so I'm looking for something that shoots well in rooms with normal daylight. Thank you!

Canon, Nikon 35,50,85 have the same degree of depth of field; there's no realy, significant difference in the degree of background defocus between the brands. The "angles getting twisted" with the 18-55mm zoom; one issue is that when shooting buildings, or tall, geometric things (cranes, scaffolding, telehoone poles, etc) the BACK of the camera needs to be plano-parallel with objects, or there will be distorting of the lines/shapes...VERY common. Look in to the optical issue called "keystoning"...this is a common issue with cameras that have no movements to the film plane (the kind of movements that view camera offer can EASILY correct distorted builkding facades, through front and rear standard movements). PC or Perspective Correction lenses CAN help. The OLD, 28mm or 35mm Nikkor PC lens would be useful, and cheap, on a D5500, a pre-AI lens that would drop right on the 5500, and could be used in manual exposure mode.

You want selective focus or shallow depth of field. A fast, medium telephoto lens could give you some of that, so the 85mm lens could be useful for lifestyle/fashion/portraiture. Other possibilities:the 50/1.8 AF-S G, 85 1.8 AF-S G, 35/1.8 AF-S G or AF-S DX, all could give some defocus to the backdrop if used at wider apertures like f/2 of f/2.8 or f/3.5.

Canon with more DOF then Nikon ?
Nope, its all about the lens and operator and not the system maker
on crop lens 50mm is more flexible lens then 85mm, even on FX 85mm is limited for portrait only, 50 on DX is good for portrait and general use
Did you consider the Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 ?

Thank you for the detailed responses! I will probably start with the 50mm and then get the 85mm some time after. Is there a difference in their performance indoors, however, or not really, given the fact that they both share the same focal ratio of 1.8?

Goodguy, I haven't researched any one Sigma lens. I've always assumed I should get a Nikkor. I'll definitely look into this one!

Last edited:
I am planning to start a lifestyle/travel blog soon as a way to investigate my passion for photography. I'll be moving to a new city, so I'm planning to take your regular photos that you'd see in a lifestyle blog - things like portraits/medium shots, urban/architecture, food, clothes/accessories, minimalistic etc. I've so far only been using the kit lens on my D5200 and I'm looking to upgrade. So, given the things I'm planning to shoot, I looked into Nikkor 50mm and 85mm. I must say I'm a fan of the "bokeh" effect, so I guess the 35mm wouldn't be a choice to start with. (By the way, is it just me or the equivalents for Canon produce softer images with greater depth of field than Nikon?!) I'd appreciate it greatly if you shared your opinions on these lenses and whether they'd be suitable in my case. Feel free to suggest any other lenses that you reckon would serve the purpose.

Another thing that I've noticed with the kit lens is the fact that the angles often get twisted. I'd like to avoid that problem with my new lens, especially when shooting buildings, for instance. Also, my current lens understandably performs awful indoors, so I'm looking for something that shoots well in rooms with normal daylight. Thank you!

There are two great options for small change and these are 1.8/35DX and 1.8/50FX.

If you are ready to invest some serious money there are a lot more options.

My favourite currently is the 1.4/105E on the D600 and the 1.4/35 Ai-S on the D500.

But I have to warn you that you need a great view finder to make these gems sing. With a pentamirror VF you might be frustrated with manual focus misses and better look at AF options.

In the mid range of price points you find a lot of phantastic options too.

The 1.8/20G is superb and combines very well with the 5xxx bodies for example. It equals 30mm field of view on film format 24*36 and is superb for street shots and general photography, plus it is a FX lens and a super WA lens there. Highly recommended.

How highly? So high that it will replace my beloved 1.4/24G very soon. The big one is already out of the bag and on the shelf for possible selling soon.

Would definitely recommend a 35mm, my g.f got one for her Nikon and I use it more than my 50mm.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

.. - things like portraits/medium shots, urban/architecture, food, clothes/accessories, minimalistic etc.
The 85mm 1.8 G is an outstanding lens, particularly well-suited to individual portraiture, but you will find that you need a fair amount of space between the lens and your subject. I can definitely recommend it as one of several lenses that you will own. BTW: if you want one now, one of our members has (had?) one for sale in the "buy and sell" forum.

For urban/architecture, food, clothes/accessories, minimalistic etc., I might recommend the 35mm 1.8 G as a middle-ground compromise between the 50mm 1.8 G and the 20mm 1.8 G if your budget is tight.

Most reactions

Back