Upgrade ladder

schumionbike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
People always talk about how you should upgrade your lens before you upgrade you camera body. I was recently ask if I want to upgrade my Nikon D40 to a D200 but I'm thinking that I probably should get some more lens before I worry about the camera even though the D200 was quite cheap (400 for a body with around 20,000+ frames). So far I only have the 18-55mm kit len and the 55-200 along with an sb-600 and I'm under the impression that a lens like the 18-55 lens would not be appropriate for something like the D200 because of the quality does not allow the D200 to show its true potention. Is this an appropriate concern?

I'm thinking with with 400 buck, I should upgrade to a Sima 18-50mm f2.8 lens first and that would give more bang for by buck then getting the D200. I figured, it wouldn't be long before the price of the D300 and the D90 take a hit and that time would be more appropriate to get a D300 camera body for around the same price the D200 is being offered today and I'll have all my lens by then Anyone disagree?

The D200 is much less primitive than the D40. It also has maximum compatibility with older lens designs. Your D40 needs AF-S (or AF-I) lenses to auto-focus. The D200 can autofocus with the less expensive AF -D auto-focus lenses that do not have built-in focus motors. Your D40 requires total manual shooting with manual focus AI-S lenses. The D200 can automatically set the correct exposure in Aperture priority mode with these old lenses.

The Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 or Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lenses would be a good choice to replace your kit lens.

Yeah, there's no doubt that the D200 is a better camera but I think I'm going to spend 400 buck on that Sigma 18-50 f2.8 first. I'll get the D90 or the D300 later in the year when the price would surely fall a bit. I think that's the best way to go for now. Not long ago, I decided to get the Sb-600 instead of the 35 mm f1.8 and I'm glad I did, most of pictures are taken indoor so the flash is great. Hopefully, I'll be able to get the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 soon.

D200 is only better in certain areas (ergonomics, build, low ISO, features).

After having the D40 I upgraded to a D80 for some of those features, and then 'upgraded' again to a D200, I was disappointed. I think the D40 is actually better than the D200 in ISO above 400.

Don't be so sure about the price of the D300 and D90 falling much... at least not for some time. It took many years for the D200 to drop as low as it did ($599 at Best Buy while supplies lasted for example). I wonder how much of that was due to Circuit City closing it's doors though.

The Sigma 18-50 HSM Macro f/2.8 is an awesome lens, I love mine - just make sure you get that one (HSM Macro).

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back