upgrade my Point and Shoot

dupsta

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking to replace my canon S60. I loved it but lost it. It had so many manual features including an intervolometer.

I must have manual focus, aperture priority, shutter priority, macro, flash compensation, 15sec exposure or more. 2000 shutter speed or more. Panoramic mode.
All this comes with the S60. I use more manual features with my point and shoot than a majority of the DSLR users I know. I have to have the compact size or I would buy a DLR in a heart beat.
Please recommend something wonderful, the S60 is old but I can not find anything that tops it’s features and is compact?
Thanks for your help

Well, your best bet is the G10. However, you can get a sweet deal on the G9 right now. Some of the best point and shot cameras available. They both capture images in RAW format and have a varitey of features available.

-Nick

Thanks
I will do some research on the differences between the G9 and G10.

The G9 sounds perfect for me. Crazy that all these features were in the cheap o Canon S60, just is a bit bulky. Also, How will I profit from a 12MP camera? If I am printing 5x7 does it matter if I am shooting 12MP or 5MP?

Thanks
Dupsta

No, if all you're printing is 5x7 then you don't need more than 5MP... but try and find a camera with less than 10MP these days...

Canon G9's sensor is actually a little better than G10 for my taste, less noisy supposedly...

But to repeat the sentiment: Canon G9 or G10 for the win! Brilliant cameras.

I have had great results with GX200. very fast RAW buffer and step zoom. Lots of controls.

So one item my old S60 had was the intervalometer. the G9 or G10 does not have this, Seems like the old crappy S60 was before its time. Can anyone confirm the ability to shot time lapse on the G9. The product search calls up the G9 under time lapse, yet I do not see the feature.

I'm told by Wikipedia (which I consulted to figure out what the heck an "intervalometer" was...pretty nifty) that "The CHDK project has modified the firmware for many Canon PowerShot cameras to add a programmable intervalometer capabilities. . ."

No idea what the "CHDK project" is, or just how thoroughly you'd void your warranty by messing with the firmware -- but make of that what you will.

I am definitely a fan of the G-series Canons. As mentioned here, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the G9 or G10.

Dpreview has a good writeup on higher end P&S and comparisons:
Prosumer Camera Group Test Q4 2008 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

As for me, I am swaying from the G9/G10 towards the Panasonic LX3. Their seems to be major improvements over the previous version in the areas that matters most (including high ISO performance). My local camera shop has 11x14 enlargement samples from the LX3 and they are impressive for such a small camera. The biggest push for me is the size.... LX3 is very pocketable compared the larger bodied G-series. The second reason would be the wider and faster lens.

I have had great results with GX200. very fast RAW buffer and step zoom. Lots of controls.

For some reason, I can't find ANYONE locally that even has Ricoh cameras. Heard so much about them, I'd like to check it out. I don't even think B&H carries it... What is the deal?

Most reactions

Back