Upgrade Questions......?

saltydog3317

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I currently own a Nikon D40 but would like to upgrade. I have seen D80's used pretty cheap and have also wondered about a D200 or a D90. I have no interest what so ever in the video part of the D90 just photography.
Which is the better camera of the 2, D200 and D90 and is the D80 worth considering?
Which would you chose and for what reasons?

Thanks Kevin

the D80 got discontinued in stores (best buy), but you can still buy it used from private owners in like new / mint condition. also on ebay you may be able to find some new ones. but i know major department stores dont have them anymore, or if they do thats the last of them they will not be getting any more in. I have gone to 3 or 4 asking for one.

Just curious, why are you looking to upgrade?

D200 is discontinued, you can probably find a used or maybe refurbished one. D90 is a great camera.

my brother, and a female friend of mine own the d90, its an excellent camera, i dont know about the other one though sorry.

D200 is discontinued, you can probably find a used or maybe refurbished one. D90 is a great camera.

I would like to upgrade because this camera is a little limited as to what lenses will auto focus on this camera. I am pretty limited to the DX lenses and I want to get the AF-S ZOOM NIKKOR 70-200MM F/2.8
or a similar lens and was told that they wont auto focus on my D40.
http://www.nikon.ca/en/Product.aspx?m=14367

Don't get a D80, imo. IIRC it's got the same sensor as the d60/40, which kinda defeats the point. Go for the D90. To me that's the only real upgrade from the consumer nikons.

what about to D300s? is this a great one to upgrade?

I would like to upgrade because this camera is a little limited as to what lenses will auto focus on this camera. I am pretty limited to the DX lenses and I want to get the AF-S ZOOM NIKKOR 70-200MM F/2.8

I believe any Nikon lenses with "AF-S" should work with your D40.

I believe any Nikon lenses with "AF-S" should work with your D40.

Correct. The 70-200 will autofocus just fine on the D40 as will any other AF-S lens. You can use DX and FX lenses on it as well. Though there technically aren't any FX lenses.

http://www.nikon.ca/en/Product.aspx?m=14367

Well your sig has AF-S lenses in it do those focus? Why should this one be different?

Or there is always the D2H on the cheep side. I have one and still use my D50. But the D2H is mainly for sports, ect.

I shoot with a D200 & it performs quite well...and use my 70-200 lens the most.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back