Upgrade to a 5d mk 2?

They are if you are limp wristed, i carry 2x 1D's 300mmF2.8L around a FEI cross country course no problem and sometime add a 5D

A camera is just a tool and it don't make you look any more professional to have the biggest camera and all the lenses, in your hand or around your neck. i call people who do this (Know it alls)

I'm a know it all who can also shoot :sexywink: i'd like to see you shoot what i shoot with a 50F1.8 :lol:

Yepp, alot of the time in sports the only way you're getting a photo is with a couple of fast super-telephoto primes that weight more than you do lol

A young man realizes he has an aptitude for sculpting. He buys a set of inexpensive, yet decent tools. The more he sculpts, the better his finished products become. Inevitably, his quality peaks and plateaus. He realizes he needs better tools. His tools require adjustment to technique as they dull, the edge geometry makes certain tasks more difficult, etc. He researches tools and finds a set of better quality, and also contains tools tailored to certain tasks. His work now requires less effort, his tools stay sharp longer, and with the added tools, he can perform tasks that weren't possible before. The final quality of his work improves dramatically. It's far more refined and detailed. He actually begins selling a little bit of his work here and there. But, alas, he plateaus again. He begins researching the sculptors he admires, those he considers masters of their craft. He learns what tools they use. Finally, he takes the wallet emptying plunge and invests in the tools they use. Now with tools of superior materials, manufacture and design, his work again takes a leap forward. With every hammer stroke, he knows exactly how the tool will behave. He works with an efficiency and confidence he's never known before. He's doing work with the refinement and detail he's dreamed of. His work is now being shown and sold in galleries. He's earned the status of a master at his craft.

So, did the tools make him a better sculptor? Of course not. They did something far more important; they allowed him to use his skill set to it's full potential. Cameras are like that.

Adieu

This is a GREAT analogy.

I think that the 7D is probably better, overall, for your requirements. I have the 5D Mk II myself. It is a great camera and suits by requirements. I mainly photograph landscapes and portraiture, and I have no real need for fast continuous shooting, or a built-in flash (I have a Speedlite 580EXII for any indoor portraiture work). The 7D, on the other hand, has faster continuous shooting capabilities, and has the built-in flash you require. The 1 cross-type AF of the 5D MkII is perfectly fine for my purposes, but the 7D has 19 so, again, no concerns there. I'd go for the 7D, if I were you, as long as you don't mind not having a full-frame sensor.

Last edited:
D.Page said:
I think that the 7D is probably better, overall, for your requirements. I have the 5D Mk II myself. It is a great camera and suits by requirements. I have no real need for fast continuous shooting, or a built in flash. The 1 cross-type AF of the 5D MkII is perfectly fine for my purposes, but the 7D has 19 so, again, no concerns there. I'd go for the 7D if I were you.

Thanks, but the d7000 gas caught my attention also

Ah, yes - the D7000. I just wonder whether you have already accumulated a lot of Canon accessories while having your 60D (and any previous Canon models), which can also be used with any new Canon DSLR you may decide to upgrade to. If not, then, of course, it is entirely sensible to 'jump ship' to Nikon, if they have a DSLR which suits you best. Be aware, though, that the D7000 does not have a full-frame sensor (I'm sure you already know this).

Last edited:
D.Page said:
Ah, yes - the D7000. I just wonder whether you have already accumulated a lot of Canon accessories while having your 60D (and any previous Canon models), which can also be used with any new Canon DSLR you may decide to upgrade to. If not, then, of course, it is entirely sensible to 'jump ship' to Nikon, if they have a DSLR which suits you best. Be aware, though, that the D7000 does not have a full-frame sensor (I'm sure you already know this).

Actually nothing yet, I was thinking of buying 24-70mm L and 70-200mm f2.8 L glass, that's what got me thinking of a new body instead.

D.Page said:

Actually nothing yet, I was thinking of buying 24-70mm L and 70-200mm f2.8 L glass, that's what got me thinking of a new body instead.

Bro, the 60d is new. It's a great little camera. It really is. Slap some pro L glass on it and it will give you amazing results. I vote you get the lenses. Glass makes a WAY bigger difference than the body ever will.

If you're contemplating a couple of 'L'-series lenses, you are obviously looking for a "serious" DSLR. Maybe the 5D Mk II is your best bet, after all (full-frame 21.1 MP sensor). With this kind of resolution, the limiting factor becomes the quality of the optics you are using with it. Any 'L'-series lens will enable you to best utilise this high resolution for optimum image quality. It can shoot very near to 4 frames per second, is that fast enough for you? The only area of 'concern' for you would be the single cross-type AF point only. It's a dilemma, isn't it !
Let me know if you want any further info regarding the 5D Mk II. I'm blown away by it, myself. Whatever model of camera you get, it is very difficult to get EVERY single feature you are after (unless you spend mega-bucks on a top-end pro-spec model). It just depends if you can live with a single cross-type AF point only. Something like the Speedlite 270 EXII is essentially very similar in performance to a built-in flash, it's obviously just not as convienient to have to carry it around with you and attach it every time you want to use it.

Last edited:
D.Page said:
If you're contemplating a couple of 'L'-series lenses, you are obviously looking for a "serious" DSLR. Maybe the 5D Mk II is your best bet, after all (full-frame 21.1 MP sensor). With this kind of resolution, the limiting factor becomes the quality of the optics you are using with it. Any 'L'-series lens will utilise this high resolution DSLR to its optimum image quality. It can shoot very near to 4 frames per second, is that fast enough for you? The only area of 'concern' for you would be the single cross-type AF point only. It's a dilemma, isn't it !
Let me know if you want any further info regarding the 5D Mk II. I'm blown away by it, myself. Whatever model of camera you get, it is very difficult to get EVERY single feature you are after (unless you spend mega-bucks on a top-end pro-spec model). It just depends if you can live with a single cross-type AF point only. Something like the Speedlight 270 EXII is essentially very similar in performance to a built-in flash, it's obviously just not as convienient to have to carry it around with you and attach it every time you want to use it.

Now I'm leaning more towards the L lenses and will look at the 5d mk 3 or similar products when they are released

OK. If you begin to find the 5D Mk II an attractive prospect, once again, and need further help or info, let me know.

I have a good friend that shoots with the 7000 great camera but it just doesn't fit me right. I suggest going and handling some and not just going off reviews or online chatter.
Now this would just be my .02. If you're going to keep the 60d in the family stay canon. It gives you a backup body that can use the same glass in case something unforeseen happens to your main body.
Only you can answer weather the jump to full frame will benefit you or weather staying on a crop sensor makes more sense.

It don't matter what camera you own they all do the same (Take pictures) upgrading to a 5D don't make you a better photographer than a 60D owner
The 1D and the 7D are camera bricks and heavy most people today choose light weight DSLR cameras but it's your choice.
A camera is just a tool and it don't make you look any more professional to have the biggest camera and all the lenses, in your hand or around your neck. i call people who do this (Know it alls)

I see, so people who use heavy big equipment are tools and people who use tiny plastic consumer crap are smarter and more professional? Idiot.

Most people haver never owned and used a true professional-level camera. The difference in performance, reliability, price, and weight between a true professional-level camera and an introductory-level or intermediate-level model camera is pretty significant.

I guess I'm fortunate to own a professional grade DSLR, albiet a really old DSLR.

Last edited:
analog.universe said:
I agree, for your type of photography a 7D makes more sense than a 5D at that level... if you really want full frame it would be a 1D.

Thanks, I'm thinking of buying a 7d and giving the 60d to my wife. A 1d would be nice but out of my price range

I have the 7D and love it. Personally I don't find it to be to heavy.....until you put a grip on it then it is a brick. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back