Upgrade to a MacBook Pro?

o_O You're *sure* you couldn't select an external drive? I've always been able to do so with LR2.

o_O You're *sure* you couldn't select an external drive? I've always been able to do so with LR2.

Maybe I missed something last night. You are able to select your external as your main import file, not just the backup file? Can you still edit files in Lightroom when they are saved to the external?

Yeah, you can most certainly still edit files, regardless of which drive they're on. It should even work with network drives.

Are you talking about catalogue backups? Because the catalogue doesn't include your images.

Yeah, you can most certainly still edit files, regardless of which drive they're on. It should even work with network drives.

Are you talking about catalogue backups? Because the catalogue doesn't include your images.

Nope, nothing more than getting my images into Lightroom to edit them without overloading my HD. :thumbup:

Just be careful with upgrading things in your MAC yourself... you will void out any warranty... and YES you will be able to tell. I have a friend who is trained and legally allowed to service and upgrade MAC computers. I will also be taking those classes and getting certified by Apple.

I would say go for something like a nice macbook pro with a 17" screen. Better than a 13" for editing pictures too! haha

Just be careful with upgrading things in your MAC yourself... you will void out any warranty... and YES you will be able to tell. I have a friend who is trained and legally allowed to service and upgrade MAC computers. I will also be taking those classes and getting certified by Apple.

I would say go for something like a nice macbook pro with a 17" screen. Better than a 13" for editing pictures too! haha

Yeah, I had no intention to do it myself. I wasn't planning on getting a MBP until September or the holidays, so I am trying to figure out how I can postpone the purchase right now. It looks like the best option for now is to set Lightroom up to import the images to my external HD.

It seems to me like that doesn't solve a whole lot though. If the images are being edited on lightroom, doesn't that technically mean they take up space on my HD regardless of where they are copied? (e.g. external HD)

Huh? I do all my work on mirrored external firewire drives...
As mentioned you just select a folder on the external drive as the import location.

Nothing you have said really justifies the move to a Mac book pro but hey... its your money.

Huh? I do all my work on mirrored external firewire drives...
As mentioned you just select a folder on the external drive as the import location.

Nothing you have said really justifies the move to a Mac book pro but hey... its your money.

Right, you said that before. And as I said before, I am not trying to justify it; I am inquiring about whether or not I am stuck with the need for one. LR didn't allow me to choose my external HD for importing them off of my camera, so I need to figure out what's keeping me from doing that.

I had already planned on getting a MBP for fall semester or around the holidays, but I would prefer to not get one right now. I have spent more than enough $$ the past few months, and with a 70-200/teleconverter on the way to set me back a good $2300, upgrading my computer would be a bit of a hassle.

It looks like the best option for now is to set Lightroom up to import the images to my external HD.

It seems to me like that doesn't solve a whole lot though. If the images are being edited on lightroom, doesn't that technically mean they take up space on my HD regardless of where they are copied? (e.g. external HD)

The LR catalog remains on your main HD. The catalog tracks changes, manages photos, and information regarding your photos. The files themselves remain on the external which you can import directly. In the import screen, you'll see a "Copy To:" field with a "Choose" button. Click Choose and select a folder on your external. Simple as that.

Screen capture has been attached. What I have selected is an external drive which is a mirror for redundancy.

Attachments

• $Picture 1.jpg
    $Picture 1.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 64
It looks like the best option for now is to set Lightroom up to import the images to my external HD.

The LR catalog remains on your main HD. The catalog tracks changes, manages photos, and information regarding your photos. The files themselves remain on the external which you can import directly. In the import screen, you'll see a "Copy To:" field with a "Choose" button. Click Choose and select a folder on your external. Simple as that.

Screen capture has been attached. What I have selected is an external drive which is a mirror for redundancy.

Got it, thanks!

Right, you said that before. And as I said before, I am not trying to justify it; I am inquiring about whether or not I am stuck with the need for one. LR didn't allow me to choose my external HD for importing them off of my camera, so I need to figure out what's keeping me from doing that.

What I'm trying to say is that you'll be in the same boat after your MBP's hard drive fills up unless you make the effort to manage your files appropriately. The MBP upgrade doesn't buy you anything nor solves your issues. It simply pushes them farther out at a premium cost.

I figured out why LR wasn't allowing me to use my external HD. I use a Time Capsule for the WiFi in my house, which also doubles as a 500GB wireless HD. When I went to select the external HD, I was selecting it under the "Shared" tab, rather than under devices. It should hopefully work now, and allow me to keep this MB for a while longer. When it fills up I can get a regular 500GB or 1TB external HD. I still plan on upgrading, but I am glad that it's not because I was no longer able to upload my pictures.

is it possible to set-up the Drobo as a Time Machine drive + storage drive?
and is it faster with USB2.0 or FW 800?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back