Upgrade to SLR for a Canon guy?

Hello Fellow Minnesotan! Based on what you've written I'd recommend picking up a used Canon Rebel XT (also known as the Canon 350D) you can find them on Craig's List for about $300. It is a great starter DSLR. The only reason I would suggest getting one of the other models you mentioned would be for the larger LCD screen.

You can also goto National Camera and Video and pickup a used DSLR but also try it in the store, however Craig's List prices will beat National Camera any day.

If you are feeling a little more confident about purchasing a camera, look for a used Canon 30D, it is a semi-professional camera with a nice big body that will take a little more abuse than the Rebel lineup.

One last suggestion, take a DSLR class through your local Community Education board, they are typically run by a professional photographer who will take the time to answer your specific questions.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more local info.

Thanks for the suggestions. I might look into it. There are so many DSLRs on the market, and if I get one I may be more apt to go used. A quick browse of Craig's list found many options. But as I look at what I've got, a great Canon that might not be SLR but can do much of what an SLR can (and get me great close-ups) I think I'm going to continue to use it. I can do a lot of manual settings with color, white balance, etc., and most of my pictures that I have blown up are when I travel. Realistically it's easier to bring with me on trips and gives off such vibrant color and it looks so sharp, I'm quite happy with it. But it might be fun to add an SLR too and get more experience with that.

Thanks!
Paul

Olympus E-620 plus the two kit lenses is a better deal than any of the Canon sets.
Hi gang,

Yeah, you got me thinking on that one, and I'm actually very close to bidding on a nice kit with three lenses on ebay that is slightly used. Seller has good reviews. I suppose I could buy new as the price is also decent new, but think this might be a good option and save me some money.

But then I keep thinking "do I really need this" as my powershot does so many things, and gives me great images. I'd keep it irregardless and use both; but tough to know what to do. Maybe my last name should be "Favre." Right now I'm leaning toward that E-620 kit as the reviews I've read online were good; and it has some very cool features. Hopefully if I do I won't be flushing $900 down the toilet when I have something that just does what I can already do, but we'll see. Decisions, decisions. Thanks though for letting me know about that Olympus!

Hi gang,

I wanted some advice on whether or not I should buy a second camera.

My situation is this. I'm a guy who takes photography seriously as an amateur, but do some blow-ups, have some things framed and auction off some pictures at charity auctions. I'd like to start getting in competitions if possible. I don't do this for a living; I'm a Catholic priest, and find photography is a great way to unwind and relax. I live in the Twin Cities, near plenty of lakes and there are many great places to shoot all times of the year.

I have a Canon Powershot sx10IS that I really enjoy. It's got the works; a 20x zoom, lots of fancy pre-sets for various situations; I can change the aperture, shutter speed, all that; go from "foilage" to "sunset" to "snow" and get all sorts of fancy things. About the only thing I can't do is hold the shutter open for more than 15 seconds, which I don't really need to do anyway; shooting lightning at 15 seconds is enough. I picked this up on Amazon in February for a great price, and get great, sharp images. I'm quite happy with this camera.

However, I was wondering should I buy an SLR? I was eying packages on Ebay, the Canon 500d and the 450d. They seem similar; I can get a package with lots of toys and lenses for just over a grand on the 500, and about 850 for the 450d. My concern is would this be a frivilous expense for an amaetur? I would keep the other camera for many things; and when I travel, can't see myself packing up all that equipment as it's too cumbersome and I don't really feel comfortable checking it at the airport, though I would bring it on daytrips.

So, basically I can blow a paycheck on a nice new SLR, or just be content with the great camera I do have and rely on that. And if I go that route, should I get the 500 or save a few hundred and get the 450? (And I suppose I can look at Nikon too). Right now I'm leaning toward just having fun with my current camera, and am thinking blowing that kind of dough might be frivilous, but it could be a good investment and I know I'd get a lot of use out of it. And, this is going to make me sound like a dolt, but I notice there are no "presets" really on the SLRs, like for "vivid color"; but I'm assuming you can get that if you set things right to bring out color on leaves, etc.

So, there's a lot here, but I'd appreciate your help. Here's the auctions I'm eying, but they are always on Ebay so will never go away:
Canon EOS T1i Digital Rebel 500D SLR Camera +6 Lens NEW - eBay (item 140338013611 end time Sep-04-09 11:05:10 PDT)

NEW USA CANON EOS Rebel XSi 450D Digital Camera +2 lens - eBay (item 290333871356 end time Aug-22-09 22:07:06 PDT)

Thanks for the help...there's a lot out there on ebay and it is a fun, but pricey hobby.

Regards,
Paul

Hi Padre,

I just bought the Canon 500D kit from this same seller on ebay. To answer your concern about getting the SLR. I'm not an expert, but you're getting a far superior picture potential camera with the SLR. You realize the SLR has a much larger lens than a compact pointnshoot.

Some of the warnings here about the kits are probably correct. I paid close to $1300 for my kit and after receiving the accesssories, I wish I hadn't paid that much. The non-OEM accesssories are from a company name ZEIKOS. They seemed to manufacturer all the items listed on the ebay listing except the OEM stuff; from the tripod to uv filters.

Warning: If you decide to get the kit, stick to your guns. Don't let the salesman pursuade you to "upgrade" to a High Definition filter or lens. There's no such thing. It's a sales ploy. I feel I got duped. The accessories seem to function ok, but can't say about the craftmanship. It looks cheap. Especially, the hard case they have pictured; I'd be leary to carry my $1300 equipment in that box.

I suppose all this depends on how you feel about owning third party equipment. Kind of like opting to change your car's oil with non-OEM parts,etc.

Good luck, priest.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi gang,

I'm not an expert, but you're getting a far superior picture potential camera with the SLR. You realize the SLR has a much larger lens than a compact pointnshoot.

Some of the warnings here about the kits are probably correct. I paid close to $1300 for my kit and after receiving the accesssories, I wish I hadn't paid that much. The non-OEM accesssories are from a company name ZEIKOS. They seemed to manufacturer all the items listed on the ebay listing except the OEM stuff; from the tripod to uv filters.

Warning: If you decide to get the kit, stick to your guns. Don't let the salesman pursuade you to "upgrade" to a High Definition filter or lens. There's no such thing. It's a sales ploy. I feel I got duped. The accessories seem to function ok, but can't say about the craftmanship. It looks cheap. Especially, the hard case they have pictured; I'd be leary to carry my $1300 equipment in that box.

I suppose all this depends on how you feel about owning third party equipment. Kind of like opting to change your car's oil with non-OEM parts,etc.

Good luck, priest.

Thanks - I think I'm going to bid on the Olympus camera, but it will be nice to have two options for shooting. I really appreciate the advice too generated on the kits - sounds like it's not a horrible rip-off, but some of it might be a bit hype.

There are far worse deals out there (you wouldn't believe what some of the scammers out there do).

DO NOT buy a digital camera online until you read this. | Wise Bread
Texas Sues Broadway Photo for Bait & Switch Scams » Photography Bay | Digital Camera Reviews, News and Resources
Abusive New York Camera Store Threatens to Break Customer’s Neck | Thomas Hawk Digital Connection

It's not like they are flat out lying to you (the eBay kits), they're just making the package sound more attractive than it really is. Overcharging for acessories that you probably don't even need/want. Personally, I would figure out exactly what you want, then buy that, and only that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back