Upgrade to the D300 or wait??

Shealyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all just wondering if you think it's wroth upgrading to the D300 now or wait till the next Nikon comes out? I guess I'm wondering if it's worth spending all that money for a camera that came out over a year ago.

Right now I have a D70 which has served me well but am so really for something bigger and better:lol:

Also does any know who has the best extended warranty in Canada, well BC anyway :)
TIA

Last edited:
A place to discuss what photography means to you: your influences, ethical challenges, abstract ideas, and other non-technical matters about photography and photographers.

Wow, Merry Christmas to you too.

As for the question. Rumors are flying about a D400 comming soon. Which would mean a lower price for D300. I recently just got my 2nd D300. It's a good step up from a D70. But if you are satisfied with it, maybe wait till spring maybe. A new model may be out then. Price has comedown some on D300. Might catch a good deal after today from retailers begging for cash. If the D300 specs appeal to you. Why not get one?

Just my way of encouraging the OP to repost in the appropriate forum.

Thought it would help to make the print bigger.

Just my way of encouraging the OP to repost in the appropriate forum.

Thought it would help to make the print bigger.

Thats a pretty good size of encouragement. I think a little brash, but eh. Oh, well.

Have a good holiday.

Sometimes you have to stir to make it happen. Thanks for your opinion--That's what makes it a cool discussion forum.

A place to discuss what photography means to you: your influences, ethical challenges, abstract ideas, and other non-technical matters about photography and photographers.

So very sorry....maybe a mod could move this then.

Wow, Merry Christmas to you too.

As for the question. Rumors are flying about a D400 comming soon. Which would mean a lower price for D300. I recently just got my 2nd D300. It's a good step up from a D70. But if you are satisfied with it, maybe wait till spring maybe. A new model may be out then. Price has comedown some on D300. Might catch a good deal after today from retailers begging for cash. If the D300 specs appeal to you. Why not get one?

Thanks for your reply :D

I have to agree with Ben. I dont see the replacement coming out too soon. What you have to ask yourself is. Is the D70 not performing or, hampering what you want to do? If it is then upgrade. If not then stay with it till they make the sucessor to it.

I see the problem-- This is how some folks feel like they participate rather than by taking photos and bringing experience and depth to the table for discussion. That 'bone', so to speak, doesn't exist in their head. There's nothing there for you to draw from.--no real understanding. Possibly, taking and posting your work would help you see the superficiality of your weak and intrusive arguments. How sad that must be, that photography is a collection of things rather than a way of expressing emotions and ideas. How empty and vacant. Thanks for playing!

I see the problem-- This is how some folks feel like they participate rather than by taking photos and bringing experience and depth to the table for discussion. That 'bone', so to speak, doesn't exist in their head. There's nothing there for you to draw from.--no real understanding. Possibly, taking and posting your work would help you see the superficiality of your weak and intrusive arguments. How sad that must be, that photography is a collection of things rather than a way of expressing emotions and ideas. How empty and vacant. Thanks for playing!

:study: :scratch:

abraxas- wow you have some deep emotions happening here. After all this is just a photo forum for hobbyists and professionals alike. I will admit that I posted in the wrong forum but the total aggression shown by yourself to such a matter is flippen ridiculous ! I am here to learn what I can, I find photography fascinating, I believe I do take great shots, and I am not interested in being knocked down over something as small as this. If and when I choose to post my pictures is up to me. There are a lot of people on here who seem to be great at what they do and I am grateful to learn tricks and tips from. In closing I really do hope you have a nice evening and best of luck in the new year. :D

Personally, I think the OP is asking the wrong questions.

What you need to be asking is:

- How is the D70 *really* limiting me?
- Does the D300 have everything that I am looking for in a camera?
- What lenses do I own now will be transferable to the new body or should I be looking at higher quality glass as well?
- What is my budget? A typical enthusiastic amateur and up should invest around $2 or more on quality lenses for every $1 for the camera. Slapping a kit lens on a high end camera is more limiting than using good glass on a medium level camera. Ideally one would prefer a quality body with high end glass to get the best of both.

Stop chasing the unknown. Waiting for the next camera is a waste of time and results in lost opportunities. Temper that with realism, though! I owned a D200... moving to a D300 to me was tossing money out the window, so I waited a short time and moved to a D700.

Waiting for the D800 when the D700 did all that I wanted and more, was chasing the unknown. If the D300 does all that you want, it is the camera for you. If you are not sure, you have not completed your research.

Good, down to Earth post, JerryPH. Sometimes emotions make it hard to differ from wants and needs. I'd love a new camera but, as you cover, it's not going to make me a better picture taker as I still can't handle the used D70 I picked "automatically" meaning I still don't have the various settings and the like, and how to use them, burned into the subconscience.

Thanks for your replies all.
I did end up with the D300 for x-mas from my hubby:D For me it is the right upgrade. My D70 has served me well and look forward to seeing what the D300 can offer me.
Both DH and I have done our research and are happy with the outcome.
I don't feel like I was trying to chase the unknown, just though if Nikon had the D300's upgrade coming out in the next two or three months maybe it was best to wait. Now I just have to save up for more good glass:D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back