Upgrading Advice

regdawg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently have the Canon T2i and have been interested in upgrading. I've been looking at the Canon T5i and the Canon 70D. Anyone have any experience with these cameras? I'm just wondering if there is a significant upgrade in picture/video quality and/or camera options from the T2i to any of these. I know the Canon 70D has the wifi option which is a plus but debating if its worth paying the extra $$$ for that. I'm an amateur photographer. Mainly take pictures of vacations, special occasions, our kids, etc. I don't mess with manual settings to much but I should learn.

Any advice/opinions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The T2i and T5i have the same sensor. No real differences in quality between the two, so that isn't worth it really.
Why do you want to upgrade? The T2i is still a very capable and flexible camera!

The T2i and T5i have the same sensor. No real differences in quality between the two, so that isn't worth it really.
Why do you want to upgrade? The T2i is still a very capable and flexible camera!
As Ido said T2i and T5i share a sensor so you will get same IQ.
70D is a step up from the T2i but from what it looks like, for you this upgrade will be pointless, the T2i is good enough for you, if you want to improve your pictures my advise is to you is learn how to take camera out of the AUTO mode, shoot RAW and maybe get some better lenses.

Would anyone happen to have suggestions on glass? Are the Sigma lenses good? Would like to have a decent zoom as well.

I have the T4i and recently purchased the 70D. Very happy with the quality. I looked at the 7D and the 6D, but I shoot mostly video and liked the features of the 70D.

My favorite lenses are primes: 40mm pancake, 50mm 1.4, and 28mm 1.8. I purchased the 17-55 mm 2.8 recently and haven't used it enough to really compare. The primes seem to be sharper and they are lighter. I also have the 18-135 and rarely use this lens.

My photos/video are hobby only for family, friends, events, vacation, time-lapse.

I have the T4i and recently purchased the 70D. Very happy with the quality. I looked at the 7D and the 6D, but I shoot mostly video and liked the features of the 70D.

My favorite lenses are primes: 40mm pancake, 50mm 1.4, and 28mm 1.8. I purchased the 17-55 mm 2.8 recently and haven't used it enough to really compare. The primes seem to be sharper and they are lighter. I also have the 18-135 and rarely use this lens.

My photos/video are hobby only for family, friends, events, vacation, time-lapse.

You have a nice arsenal. With my T2i, the only lenses that I have in my arsnel is the 18-55mm and the 50-250mm. I hardly ever use the 50-250mm though. I'm still debating but if I opt to go with the 70D, probably save a little and just get the 18-55mm kit and invest in other lenses down the road? If I go with the 70D I plan on shooting with this for the next 5+ years. Just trying to make a decision before my 2nd child joins the family =).

Of course my other option is to stick with the T2i and maybe just do an upgrade in a lens. I just like the video quality/capabilities of the 70D. Along with the photo quality, having video with the dual pixel focusing would be a plus with the kids.

Would anyone happen to have suggestions on glass? Are the Sigma lenses good? Would like to have a decent zoom as well.
I highly advise buying a kit for starters. Whichever one it is, as long as its sold in a single kit. Don't buy a huge bundle off eBay, as most of what it will contain (e.g. filters, tripod, bag, etc.) is usually of very, very poor quality.

Most reactions

Back