Upgrading...Any Nikon Recs?

Just try d90. The picture will look the same in a studio setting.

You're overlooking the tighter DOF achievable with a full-frame camera like the d700 and d3.

You lose more then a stop of DOF when shooting crop-sensor cameras. To achieve the same composition at the same distance (perspective) with a d90 you'd have to use a wider lens (35mm instead of a 50mm for example). This creates a wider DOF at the same aperture.

35mm f1.4 at 10 feet = 2 feet
50mm f2.8 at 10 feet = 2 feet
50mm f1.4 at 10 feet = 1 foot

I would not point her to a consumer grade if she wants a pro grade camera like the D90. First is all of your shooting going to be in studio or, do you plan on doing some shoots outdoors in low light with little lighting? If in studio then I waould say go for the D3x and, if you plan on say shooting some outside in say street scenes with street lighting the D3s. It is a no brainer. The right camera for the right conditions.

You might want to consider waiting until Nikon updates their video on these SLR's too, I can bet that within 6 months it will be much improved. Its not a huge selling point, but hey, it cant hurt to have beautiful video capabilities too right?

I think D90 is def your best bet, its a damn nice camera for the price

What a spirited debate. I'm thankful to all of you who gave good advice, (and insulted by others), but that's okay. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm heading off to B&H tomorrow, and I will post what I get. Thanks!

Almost all of my shooting is indoors with strobes, FYI. I rarely shoot natural light images.

For fashion type photography I don't know why anyone would recommend a 12mp D700/D3s when a D3x is affordable for the user. It's hands down the better choice.
Because the D700 is quite capable, even weighing in at only 12.1MP. 24MP is a bit overkill IMO, unless you're blowing up 100% crops at poster size or something like that. Plus..... $2400 is a lot easier to swallow than $7500.

Frankly, I don't know if I would spend double the price of what a d3 costs. Sure studio does need a higher resolution like other members have been saying, if you do are doing vogue shoots every day of the week. But after owning both the d3 and the d3x, I would still choose the d3. The limitations of the d3x are very visible as soon as you start to play around with it. The lower speed, and low light performance are really what got me when I use my d3x. I would recommend the d3 or the d700. I love my d700 and I use it a couple times a month in the studio. If you are wanting to upgrade, and looking for the best professional nikon for the money the d700 is the way to do. Spend the extra money on studio lights and a 135mm dc control!

Well wether you get the D3s or X. You will have a somewhat of a steep learning curve from the D70. But it is a fun one.

Hello
Just reading this thread and would love a D3x!!:D. Seems to me the best investment is the lens's. The bodies are outdated after a few years, though I still have my trusty D300. Do not get the 90 if you plan on doing any action photography. I use both, and for what we do, if you have to shoot fast moving objects the 300 is the minumum I would go. It has better focusing power!

Thanks
Kevin

Most reactions

Back