Upgrading cameras question

EdelineM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I wanted to buy canon 50D for starting a photography business , is it a good camera for shooting weddings, potraits or children?

Hmm? Your kit list lists a lot of Nikon gear - so why suddenly change to a Canon based system? I would stick with Nikon and invest in good lenses (very good lenses) if I were approaching wedding orany other form of commercail work

When it comes to professional stuff, the logo/brand you are shooting doesn't make a different. A good body with some professional quality lenses is what counts.

But to answer your question, the 50D would be a capable camera to do some wedding and portrait work IF you had some quality lenses. If you are going pro, getting a 5D Mk II might be a better option. But 50D or 5D Mk II is not as important as getting some high quality L lenses in the Canon line such as the 24-70 f2.8, 50 f1.4, 70-200 f2.8, 16-35 f2.8, 35 f1.4, 85 f1.4.

I believe the same thing goes for Nikon, and their pro line up has pretty much the same selection and focal ranges.

I'm with Overread on this. Because of the investment in supporting equipment such as lenses, flash heads, cables, etc., it would take a MAJOR breakthrough in technology to justify a switch between Nikon and Canon. I know of that happening only once. Many years ago, Nikon was the clear choice for professionals. Then, roughly twenty-five years ago, Canon introduced an autofocus system that pretty much blew away anything that Nikon had at the time. A large portion of the pros switched to Canon and, ever since then, they've shared the pro market 50-50.

I wanted to buy canon 50D for starting a photography business , is it a good camera for shooting weddings, potraits or children?

Yes, but ...

The camera body is absolutely the least important item. Lenses and lighting equipment are far, far more important.

My suggestion is to invest in a upgraded lens or lens set for you D60 and add to your lighting equipment (big flash(es), diffusers, ...) first. Then consider an upgrade to the body.

The only reason to not grow your Nikon kit with better lenses first would be if you've already decided to switch to Canon. Switch if you like, but the brand change won't improve your results for any technical reason; there is too little difference between the brands. If you feel better and are happier with a particular camera do to its handling and approach to controls and menus you may get better results. This, though, is completely personal and the opinions of others are meaningless.

There is something to not using lower end models in a wedding environment even when they are technically quite capable of doing the job, as is the case with your D60. Customer satisfaction can be influenced by their perception of your professionalism. If Uncle Fred has a "better" camera than the pro, the bride may form a negative impression of your work even before she sees the proofs.

I agree with some and disagree with others. If you want little, cost to get there, sell your D60 and pick up a used D80. If you have the money, get a D90.

My reason for this is Nikon's CLS and ability to fire flashes wirelessly. This is probably the single biggest reason that I have never made the switch to Canon. Get a D80 or D90 and one....maybe two SB-600's and you can start with some great off camera lighting that is fairly easy to learn.

Sure you could get some pocket wizards (or an SU-800) for your D60, but at the cost of those or less you could just upgrade your camera.

You'll also want a better lens. For strictly portrait work, something like a Sigma/Nikon 50mm f1.4 would be good on DX....

For weddings you are probably going to want a zoom lens....and you'll want to keep a backup body in case of a problem in yours on the wedding day.

I've done a wedding in the past (not my thing even though it went well), but I do shoot some portraits....mainly babies and small children. The 50mm f1.4 is very nice, but I also use my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 a lot since I'm above the baby for many shots and need a wider lens.

This Nikon is actually my husbands camera and I use it.. :lol:
I wanted canon from long time but he got me this Nikon because when he bought it he got a good price.

Ah, so maybe is best for me to stick with Nikon and get some great lenses..
But is it ok if I buy Sigma one? Because Nikon lenses are so so expensive :(

Would sigma give me a great performance?

So maybe my choice to upgrade its to Nikon D90 or Nikon D300 :D

Last edited:
Sigma make some rubbish lenses - some good lenses and some outstanding lenses. It is, however, very much on a lens by lens basis as to what is or is not a good choice - its hard to give a whole overview of the company products in how they match with canons or nikons.

This Nikon is actually my husbands camera and I use it.. :lol:
I wanted canon from long time but he got me this Nikon because when he bought it he got a good price.

Ah, so maybe is best for me to stick with Nikon and get some great lenses..
But is it ok if I buy Sigma one? Because Nikon lenses are so so expensive :(

Would sigma give me a great performance?

You will get many opinions on that. As for me, I bought Nikon bodies because I wanted Nikon lenses.

The Sigma EX 24-70mm and 70-200mm lenses are Great. The only thing you gain for buying Nikon equivalent is VR at more than double the price.

Craig

The 50D is a solid camera for intermediate level camera. I have a lot of friends who love their 40D/50D. I personally don't have too much experience with this line but I do know one thing. Lens is king.

A reason you might want to consider switching to Canon is for the $$$. Times are tough these days. Just a little comparison between 2 pro lenses: 24-70 and 70-200 (f/2.8). The going prices with these 2 lenses are around $600 less for the Canon series. Would you really notice the difference in your photos? Possibly; if you stare at them for days. Would your customers know the difference? 99% of the time, no. I hate to debate which is better, Nikon or Canon. My point is that Canon will save you $$, which = more $$ for other pro lenses and lighting equipment.

yeah many told me is better to upgrade my lenses and stick with Nikon..
I found these lenses which is quite cheap thou

The reason I want to buy Canon because of the money reason cause Im just starting and buying Nikon lenses OMG too expensive LOL

but I think I stick with Nikon for now LOL

If you want cheap lenses, Canon has plenty of them. So does Sigma. And Tokina. And Tamron.

The lenses you currently list seem like good lenses, just from googling them, I recommend sticking with Nikon since your husband has already invested what seems to be a good chunk into it already. Buy different items then you can swap back and forth with your husband.

The Sigma EX 24-70mm and 70-200mm lenses are Great. The only thing you gain for buying Nikon equivalent is VR at more than double the price.

Craig

Well that is just not true........:er:

I have owned Sigma 24-70 EX and it is just not as fast or as sharp as the Nikon version.

I am not saying that it is bad lens, in fact I just recomended it to someone in another thread, but saying it is just as good is a strech, the Nikon less is faster and is sharper, it is just a matter of is you are willing to spend the extra to get a better lens.

Most reactions

Back