Upgrading from a Canon Digital Rebel XT

Jeremy Cohen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently have an eleven year old Canon Digital Rebel XT and I would like to upgrade to a Canon something. I intend to use the new camera for mostly taking pictures of my family and sometimes of wildlife and sometimes pictures of cities and places that I go on vacation. I would like this new one to last me about as long as the old Digital Rebel XT did and needs to be a Canon since all of my hardware is also Canon. My budget would be up to $1,200 and I would like to see what forum members think my next camera should be.

What else do you have - lenses - flash - tripods - etc...

Sometimes the best thing to upgrade isn't the body but the other gear

Well I have sort of upgraded all of the other things. I do not have a tripod, I have three lenses (one which I bought a month ago, a second that does not seem to have a newer model out, and a third that I just received the upgrade Friday), so I think I have the lens part taken are of, the software I checked on a second ago and that's up to date, I do not have an external flash, however I might buy one in the near future. So I think the body is probably the last thing to upgrade, I have sort of saved the worst for last.

Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, what is it that your current camera doesn't do, that you want a new camera to do?

I have a couple Canon 20D bodies, which are similar in age and internals (sensor, processor etc) to your XT. I still use them on occasion, but I also appreciate the features that you get on a newer camera.

The obvious thing to look at is a replacement in the same line. The Rebel T5i is the current flagship Rebel. There is a cheaper Rebel, the T5 and a smaller/cheaper model, the SL1.
HERE is a comparison. The T5i looks to be the best option IMO.

Of course, you could consider a jump up to a higher line of cameras. The Canon 70D would be the current model to look at. It's larger and heavier than a Rebel but it has more external controls, which many people like. This line has a more solid construction, but I don't see many Rebels falling apart so that's not too important. Although, they do have better environmental seals, so if you shoot outdoors it's something to consider.

I'd suggest going into a decent camera store where you can get your hands on the various models. Really, most of the models in this range have the same or similar sensors, it's mostly the body and features that are different.

70d or T5i.

I currently have an eleven year old Canon Digital Rebel XT and I would like to upgrade to a Canon something. I intend to use the new camera for mostly taking pictures of my family and sometimes of wildlife and sometimes pictures of cities and places that I go on vacation. I would like this new one to last me about as long as the old Digital Rebel XT did and needs to be a Canon since all of my hardware is also Canon. My budget would be up to $1,200 and I would like to see what forum members think my next camera should be.

When asking for a product suggestion on most forums I've found the answers you get are quite often the models the responder would prefer to own. They are not always the model you should choose for yourself. Of course, since you have Canon lenses, the suggestions will be to simply upgrade to a new, shiny Canon. That's sort of a no brainer.

I still have my XT, though, since I haven't used it in several years, I'm currently looking for something more basic and more portable at a fraction of your budget. So other than saying stay with Canon unless you want to buy all new lenses, there's no model for me to recommend. Of course, at your budget you should buy the best Canon, no? Then you won't suffer from camera envy in the near future. Then you can't blame the camera for the results.

IMO you've listed several items which you do not own that would likely make a noticeable improvement in at least some of your shots. A tripod/monopod first among them. I've owned several Rebels - the XT was the first DSLR - and have found them to be all the camera I need in 80-90% of the situations I would shoot. There are workarounds that make the Rebel perform as a more expensive model such as external flash and remote shutter control. If you're not looking to sell your work, IMO, a Rebel will seldom be the camera which limits you.

The question was asked, (paraphrasing) what is it the Rebel does and doesn't do that you think is important? Until you know why you are changing equipment, you have no target for what to look at. Are you going to be trading the Rebel body in on the new camera? Or, using the XT as a back up? What are your priorities? This is typically the most difficult question to answer because many people don't think in terms of priorities. Your needs and wants often revolve around how you will be using the equipment and how you perceive the results you achieve. Is it important to have lightweight? Is it necessary you have all the newest geegaws? Do you want to control the camera or have the camera control you? Once you set these priorities, you can move on to results. What sort of photography are you interested in? Stop action sports would be a slightly different idea than macros of bugs. Though, if your goals were to capture those bugs in flight, they might be the same. Simply buy the top o' the line and the camera itself probably isn't the limiting factor.

At your price range, it's possible you should move beyond a DSLR and look at the next level of cameras. Do you think the DSLR format can still satisfy your needs?

Your initial question is sort of like asking which wine to buy or which car to own. Very broad questions can only be answered with very broad, non-specific responses. Or a suggestion to buy what the poster would prefer to own at that price range.

Can you narrow your priorities down any more and tell the forum what you think the Rebel isn't doing and what you would like your next camera to do for you? And in what situations the camera would be used?

Well I have sort of upgraded all of the other things. I do not have a tripod, I have three lenses (one which I bought a month ago, a second that does not seem to have a newer model out, and a third that I just received the upgrade Friday), so I think I have the lens part taken are of, the software I checked on a second ago and that's up to date, I do not have an external flash, however I might buy one in the near future. So I think the body is probably the last thing to upgrade, I have sort of saved the worst for last.

Okay, but what are the lenses? Are they EF-S 18-55mm f/4.5-5.6 or are they EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM? or EF 85mm f/1.8? Telling us what they are will help us point you in the right direction. The EF-S lenses will not work with a full frame body, so you would have to up grade your lenses if you went full frame.

Canon is suffering from very old sensors in its crop sensor line except the 7D II which sadly is way out of your budget.
What would I do ?
Wait a bit, the new Canon 6D II should come out soon, the 6D I will drop down in price and that's what I recommend you to get.
6D is also an old camera but its miles better then anything Canon has today (again except the 7D II) to offer and its still a very good camera.
If you are still set on getting a new crop sensor Canon now then the only one I would consider is the 70D but again I would suggest looking at the 6D

I would follow goodguys advice. If your three lenses (or at least two) are with an EF-S mount, go for the 70D (just the body, not the kid). If you have EF-Lenses, wait for the 6D to get cheaper or look for used ones. If you upgrade, i wouldn't do to another Rebel. You buy mostly the same camera with newer technic in it, with a 70D (or 6D) you buy also some new features ;)

Thats two votes for the T5i and two for the 6D Mark II. I need a tie breaker here.

I would pick up a used 6DMKII for that budget. Theres a used siad new one on amazon now for $406.37 shipped, ill snap that right off.

What about the forthcoming T6i?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back