Upgrading from Beginner

sfmrobot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi im looking for some advice, I currently own a canon Rebal t5i. But im looking to upgrade to something of a more professional grade. Some of the cameras I looked at were the 7d mark ii and nikon d810. Im doing wildlife and street photography, so a camera of that nature would be best. Looking for suggestions.

Thanks
-Sage M

There is a big difference between going with a 7D mkII and Nikon D810. The Nikon 810 well outperforms the Canon. But it's $1,000 more. And you would need new lenses. The Canon 5d mk IV would be the closer Canon camera to compare to the Nikon 810. But it's full frame and you may need to change lenses anyway.

The Nikon would be best for landscapes at is has 14.8 stops of dynamic range. The 5D at 13.6 stops, and the 7D at 11.8 stops. For color reproduction the 810 comes in front again with 25.7bits of color depth, with he 5d at 24.8bits, and 7D at 22.4 bits. For low light the 5D beats the 810 slightly. 5d rated at 2995 ISO, 810 at 2853, and 7D at 1082.

Of course the 5D is about $1,000 more than the D810. Another option is the D610 which is $1,500 now. It's sensor beats the 5D in color depth and dynamic range. And is closer to it in iso than the 810. At an ISO of 2925.

But if you were to stay with Canon. The 5D is the clear winner.

Information is from DXOMARK labs.

Ok awesome thanks!

Hi im looking for some advice, I currently own a canon Rebal t5i. But im looking to upgrade to something of a more professional grade. Some of the cameras I looked at were the 7d mark ii and nikon d810. Im doing wildlife and street photography, so a camera of that nature would be best. Looking for suggestions.
The (by quite a bit before any alternative, actually) best camera for wildlife and spontaneous photography is AFAICS the Nikon D500. IMHO the Canon equivalent, the 7D Mark 2, is quite a bit less impressive, but should still be a good choice. Lower models like the Nikon D7100 or D7200 and the Canon 70D or 80D should also perform nicely.

Why is the D500 better than say a D5 for spontaneous images ? Because the AF covers almost the complete image area.

Why is the D500 better than a D5 for wildlife ? Because it has the crop factor, giving even more range, very important for wildlife shooters.

Also the D500 has slightly more resolution than the D5 (no AA filter) and with the fastest memory cards it has an "endless" buffer. I.e. every 200 images or 20 seconds it will stop due to a software limitation, but you only have to raise and lower the trigger finger on the shutter quickly and it instantly will continue taking pictures until the next 200 images are full, and you can continue this until the card itself is full.

If you choose the D500, for lenses I feel I can with good conscience recomment a used AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 DX for street and the AF-S 200-500mm f5.6 VR for Wildlife. I recomment the 17-55 because it has excellent image quality for a zoom and very fast autofocus, and because while the original price is really high, the used prices are perfectly fair. I recomment the 200-500 because its a real bargain offer from Nikon. If you need a zoom in between, the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 VC "G2" (the G2 is very important) seems to be the best choice right now, even slightly outperforming the more than twice as expensive mighty AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 E VR FL. If you need a good wide angle zoom, the best choice seems to be the new Tamron 10-24mm f3.5-4.5 VC "II" (again the "II" is important). Tamron recently developed quite high ambition with their glas, starting with the 15-30mm f2.8, and rolled out some really impressive zooms, cheaper and optically slightly better than Nikon (and probably also Canon) alternatives, albeit with slightly less good build quality.

I dont feel like I have even remotely enough understanding of Canon glas to recomment anything from them. In my general impression the good Canon glas tends to be really pricey.

The (by quite a bit before any alternative, actually) best camera for wildlife and spontaneous photography is AFAICS the Nikon D500. IMHO the Canon equivalent, the 7D Mark 2, is quite a bit less impressive, but should still be a good choice. Lower models like the Nikon D7100 or D7200 and the Canon 70D or 80D should also perform nicely.

Why is the D500 better than say a D5 for spontaneous images ? Because the AF covers almost the complete image area.

Why is the D500 better than a D5 for wildlife ? Because it has the crop factor, giving even more range, very important for wildlife shooters.

Also the D500 has slightly more resolution than the D5 (no AA filter) and with the fastest memory cards it has an "endless" buffer. I.e. every 200 images or 20 seconds it will stop due to a software limitation, but you only have to raise and lower the trigger finger on the shutter quickly and it instantly will continue taking pictures until the next 200 images are full, and you can continue this until the card itself is full.

I dont feel like I have even remotely enough understanding of Canon glas to recomment anything from them. In my general impression the good Canon glas tends to be really pricey.

I don't agree with the D500 being better for wildlife. It is a good camera. But it's a full bit lower in color depth, 1/2 stop less in dynamic range, and 1/2 the iso performance of a D610 and even less than the D810! Having a gazillion AF points to choose from is not a huge deal. The crop factor is nice but you can just do the same crop from a full sensor camera. And digital cameras have had aa filters for decades. Having one removed is nice but it's not some amazing thing. Also the faster cards (XQD's) just had a big blow as one of the 2 big manufactures is going to leave the market. Leaving Sony as the sole supplier of XQD's! Can you say price increase. The D500 is also more expensive than the D610! The D610 is a great value right now for anyone looking for a very very good camera. Even though it's older, it's still in the top 10 of all digital bodies performance wise! The D7500 actually scores just slightly better in color depth, dynamic range and ISO than the D500! Yes, there is build difference and control differences between them. But what your after in the end is what the sensor puts out!

The Canon's are older technology and need updating. Canon could have equivalent cameras to Nikon for same pricing level. But at this time they are choosing not too. They seem to keep rearranging older tech on their mid to low priced equipment.

For sports and wildlife the Nikon D500 is the optimal tool, its purely made for this!
It can do street photography too well with the proper lens.
Only problem of this camera is its price which was 2000$ and probably is less now.
A very good and far cheaper is the Nikon D7500, it has the best AF system under the Nikon AMAZING AF system and with 8FP it will do very well wildlife so its definitely worth considering.

Nyet...
if you're going to switch. Do something like a Fujifilm XT2 for street and wildlife.

Sage, do your research and go to a brick and mortar camera store to get a feel for what you might want.
Only you know what you shoot most and what is important to you.
Here you're going to run into many opinions. None of which are necessarily right or wrong but none of them are unbiased.

My best advice is narrow down 2 things.

1. Budget. Max budget including lenses and accessories if applicable.

2. What do you really shoot. No pie in the shy "I may want to shoot "X" one day." crap. Any camera can shoot any genre but some camera's excel in certain situations. So figure out what it is you will use it for most.

Once you have this done. If you are not brand dependent (which it seems you are not) don't limit your choices. You may be surprised that your shooting style preference may fit well with a mirrorless.
Make a list of cameras that fit what you need. Take the time to research and physically handle each of them and see if it feels good and performs the way you need.

The above approach is really the only way to make an informed decision.
Asking on the internet, even a well informed place such as this is a good place to find options available, however nobody can tell you what camera is "Best" for you based on the limited info we can gather here. All that can be provided is what each camera's strengths and weaknesses are.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search.

Decision of the camera also depends on the budget that you hold up for buying the camera. But yeah I aggree with chuasam as Fujifilm XT2 is good for street and wildlife.

Ok awesome thanks!
Right now til the 24th Nikon has a sale on Nikon refurbished cameras. They will look and operate as new, and all accessories and items. Including warranty.

D7200 for $750. This is a crop sensor APS-C camera. Actaully test better than newer D7500 and the D500! A D7500 is $1,250 now. So $500 for going with a previous generation camera that still kicks butt.

D610 is on sale for $1,080!!. New is $1,550 or so. This is rated as Nikons 5th best of all cameras.

D810 is on sale for $2,000. New is $2,750 or so. This is the #1 rated Nikon body out right now.

Also refurbished lenses are on sale from Nikons site as well. Get the lower refurbished rate and 10% off. Might save some money??

Decision of the camera also depends on the budget that you hold up for buying the camera. But yeah I aggree with chuasam as Fujifilm XT2 is good for street and wildlife.

yes, mirrorless is good for street, wildlife and most all other forms of life
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Most reactions

New Topics

Back