Upgrading from Nikon D90

Fairyrose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I am looking to upgrade my Nikon D90 which has been my trusted DSLR for about 8 years. I was tempted by the ease of portability and low weight of the Coolpix B700 which I bought in a spontaneous acquisition a few days ago. Whilst by no means a bad camera I am missing the speed and precision of a DSLR already. I take a great deal of pictures of children, pets and other fast moving objects and nothing beats the speed of a SLR (avoiding the many pictures of the back off the head or eyes shut!)
I think I will have to upgrade my D90 with a new DSLR in any event and keep the Coolpix for those occasions where a SLR is a little too bulky to carry with me.
The chap in the photoshop advised that today's equivalent of the D90 is the D7200. Is that right? It struck me as somewhat more complicated and heavier than my D90. He also said that buying *any* of today's DSLRs would be an upgrade compared to my old D90.
I am instinctively looking to buy another Nikon, but if you think that a Canon (or even another brand) would constitute a worthwhile alternative please say!
Many thanks for your thoughts.

Hi, I am looking to upgrade my Nikon D90 which has been my trusted DSLR for about 8 years. I was tempted by the ease of portability and low weight of the Coolpix B700 which I bought in a spontaneous acquisition a few days ago. Whilst by no means a bad camera I am missing the speed and precision of a DSLR already. I take a great deal of pictures of children, pets and other fast moving objects and nothing beats the speed of a SLR (avoiding the many pictures of the back off the head or eyes shut!)
I think I will have to upgrade my D90 with a new DSLR in any event and keep the Coolpix for those occasions where a SLR is a little too bulky to carry with me.
The chap in the photoshop advised that today's equivalent of the D90 is the D7200. Is that right? It struck me as somewhat more complicated and heavier than my D90. He also said that buying *any* of today's DSLRs would be an upgrade compared to my old D90.
I am instinctively looking to buy another Nikon, but if you think that a Canon (or even another brand) would constitute a worthwhile alternative please say!

Hello, and welcome to the site.

If you have older Nikon AF lenses. To use them on new digitals with AF working. You need the 7xxx series cameras. All Nikon full frame cameras will AF the older lenses (D500, D600, D700, D800 and their replacement modesl).

So yes, the D7200 would be a very good replacement. Right now in the US they are on sale refurbished for $750 until the 24th. The D7500 is the newest model. It replaces the D7200 in the line up (though both are still being made new). Right now in the US a D610 refurbished can be had for $1,080! They sold for $2,000 new. I think a New D6xx series, D8xx series cameras will be announced shortly. So Nikon is discounting them at the moment. Rumor is on the 25th they will make a couple major announcements.

I think it boils down if you want the focus motor in the body which would allow you to use AF-D glass. The D7200 is a good choice and allows you to use older AF-D glass. If that's not a requirement than the D5600 is small and light and a good camera. D3400 is a great value as well.

Hi, and thank you for your prompt replies and warm welcome to the forum.

Sorry, but please could you both explain what you mean with the comments about the lenses? I had assumed that I will need to buy a new lens with a new camera as presumably my old lens is outdated too? (I have the 18-105VR which came as the kit lens with the D90). I am not really one for having multiple lenses and will need a good multi purpose lens.

Thanks again.

Some Nikon lenses from about 1985 and newer can be AF or AF-D: these are focused by a screw-and-key mechanism; the drive "key" is in the camera, the screw slot is in a small hole on the lens. AF- and AF-D Nikkor lenses using this autofocusing focusing system rely upon the presence an IN-body focusing motor to focus the lens. This in-body focusing motor is present in the majority of older or higher-level Nikoin cameras, like the D70,D80,D90,D50,D200,D300, D7000-series, D1,D2,D3,D4,D5 and D500,D700,D800,D600- series bodies ALL have. These are the "big Nikons".

The Baby Nikons, as I call them, D40,D40x,D60,D3000-series, and D5000-series have NO FOCUSING MOTOR in the camera, and can NOT autofocus the older AF- or AF-D Nikkor type lenses.

The Baby Nikons need AF-S or AF-P lenses to do autofocus operation.

Regarding the salesmans comment about the D7200 being the D90 equivalent: it is the "serious enthusiasts" APS-C body. The D7200 has a CLASS-leading APS-C sensor...a wonderful image maker camera body.

Hi, and thank you for your prompt replies and warm welcome to the forum.

Sorry, but please could you both explain what you mean with the comments about the lenses? I had assumed that I will need to buy a new lens with a new camera as presumably my old lens is outdated too? (I have the 18-105VR which came as the kit lens with the D90). I am not really one for having multiple lenses and will need a good multi purpose lens.

Thanks again.
Ok your current lens will work on any Nikon DSLR. But works better on a crop sensor camera DX. These are the D3xxx, D5xxx, D7xxx, and D500 series cameras. So your not limited to a D7200 for a new body.

The current NEW models of cameras are the listed in order of price D3400, D5600, D7500, and D500. All of them are good cameras. For one with the same capabiliies and feel of the D90. I would say the D7200 or D7500 would be your choice. But they are higher priced. New in the US the are $1,000 and $1,250. The D7xxx is about same size as your D90 for camera feel. The next model down in price is the D5600. Just a little smaller in size than the D7500 and lower in price about $700 in the US. Has good performance. The entry level camera is the D3400 (newest model). I's at $500 new and is the smallest body. It is very capable camera but more of it's functions are menu bases and not buttons and knobs.

They all have similar sensor qualities. Just each higher body has more capabilities and controls. Your current lens would work fine on any of them.

Your 18-105 VR lens is pretty good for a kit lens. It continued to be the Kit lens for the D7000 and D7100.

So if you sell your D90, you can keep the lens for a newer body. Then search for a new lens if you want to.

It's hard to recommend anything without a budget. But you'll find quite an upgrade to a d7000 (16mp sensor, 39 pt focus module), and even more to a d7100 (24 mp sensor, 51 pt focus sensor), then the D7200 (better buffer) is a small step up from the D7100, then the D7500 is a jump up in sensor and buffer for more continuous shots.

If you use PASM exclusively (no EFFECTS, no SCENE and NO auto modes) then the D500 would be another large leap up with Pro controls and 10fps, a super fast focus system and extensive buffer support for fast action birds, cars, etc.

Then the jump to Full Frame which would require a new lens. The 18-105VR is a DX lens only.

TODAY Nikon announced some very,very GOOD prices on Nikon-certified refurbished cameras! Go to the Nikon USA website to see the deals!

D7200 is a fab camera for not massive money now that it's been out for a while. I thoroughly recommend it and I've had a few cameras to compare to

Nikon D7200 is a stunning camera, you will love it, another option is the Nikon D7500, is some ways it lost some stuff compared to the D7200 but it gain some stuff too.
Main thing is lost is a second SD card which if you don't do pro work is really not a big deal, it gain a swivel touch screen, 4k video, very big buffer, faster burst (6fps vs 8fps) and a slightly better AF system.
The D7500 is also smaller and lighter then the D7200, so go to your nearest camera store and check it.

true, any of the newer models are better. A "worthwhile alternative" would be a mirrorless camera - smaller and lighter but can still use the big DSLR lens ..... nice
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Most reactions

Back