Upgrading kit lens

Kit lens is ok. If your doing landscapes are you using a tripod? Are you using a wide aperture say f8 f 11 etc. When your shooting shots of family is your shutter speed faster enough.

There are so many variables. If you are able to post photos with the exit data here you will get invaluable advice.

I did so many things wrong when I got my first dslr (not saying you're doing things wrong or that it's your first dslr) but it's so easy to spend money on gear with little improvement. Learning your gear back to front can pay dividends and is cheaper

I'd really recommend the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 OS HSM Contemporary (that's the newest version). I own one and its a pretty good upgrade to the kit lens plus it gives you a great range on a crop sensor with a wide aperture option.

The other alternative I was considering was the Canon 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 which is a bit slower but sharper in the corners and slightly more range but a bit more expensive.

Both lenses are pretty much as sharp as you will get for aps-c zooms with a really good walkabout range making them excellent choices for an upgrade from the kit lens.

Personally I'd go for one of these unless I really felt I needed a constant f2.8 for low light photography in which case a 17-55mm f2.8 may be the better option.

24mm is simply not wide enough for a general lens on a crop sensor.

I'd really recommend the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 OS HSM Contemporary (that's the newest version). I own one and its a pretty good upgrade to the kit lens plus it gives you a great range on a crop sensor with a wide aperture option.

The other alternative I was considering was the Canon 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 which is a bit slower but sharper in the corners and slightly more range but a bit more expensive.

Both lenses are pretty much as sharp as you will get for aps-c zooms with a really good walkabout range making them excellent choices for an upgrade from the kit lens.

Personally I'd go for one of these unless I really felt I needed a constant f2.8 for low light photography in which case a 17-55mm f2.8 may be the better option.

24mm is simply not wide enough for a general lens on a crop sensor.

And will this lens solve the problem of a wrong shutter speed or aperture setting. Like I said, it's easy to throw money at an undiagnosed problem

Eh, where did that come from matey?

Sorry weepete, now that I read it, it sounds a lot more smart arse than I had intended. I meant that the OP seems to not know what the problem is, so I suggested learning before spending, then spending was suggested. I'm sure that sigma is a good upgrade, but not so sure it will solve the problem

I'm not at my computer right now. But my website is jqphoto.smugmug.com there is a night photo w Christmas lights. I can post it on here later.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back