Upgrading, need advice and opinions

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by drken, Mar 13, 2008.

1. drken

drken TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've come into some money, so I've decided to spend (some of) it upgrading my photo stuff. What I have now is in my sig. I've decided I have some options on how do upgrade.

1) Upgrade to a 40D.

2) Keep the Xti, but get the battery holder attachment.

2) Upgrade my 18-55 kit lens to a Canon 24-105 f/4L lens.

3) Upgrade my 70-200 lens to the 2.8L IS model. This actually isn't an option because I'm doing this no matter what.

Is it worth it to upgrade to the 40D? I can probably do that or the 24-105. Both would be a bit of a stretch.

2. photogincollege

photogincollege TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    How often do you use the wide angle of your 18-55? Just remember if you do decide on the 24-105 f/4L lens your going to lose quite a bit on the wide end. If that does not bother you however, I would say definately go for the lens over the 40d. The reason I say this is that you will probably keep that lens well past when you upgrade the xti, where as if you upgrade to the 40d, your still going to desire a better lens then the kit.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 40D is a great camera, but what is it really going to give you that your XTi can't? Sure, it's bigger, faster, sexier etc. but the XTi is still a pretty good camera.

I think that lens upgrade will make a much bigger difference to your images.

The 24-105 F4 L is a great lens...but for me (and several others), it's a bit of an odd focal range on a crop camera like these. 24mm just isn't wide enough. But if it works for you, the go for it.

For a wider lens, I would suggest the 17-55 F2.8 IS, the 16-35 F2.8 L or the 17-40 F4 L.

4. drken

drken TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I figured as much for the 40D. It is bigger and sexier, but with the battery grip, I at least get the bigger thing fixed (I'm not a big fan of the XTi's size). I wonder how much I'll need to upgrade in order to make it worth it? I don't see me getting a MkIII any time soon.

As for the lens, I don't do much wide angle stuff and I find the 18-55 a little short. I just need it as a walking around lens. I'm going to use it to take pictures of the garages at an auto race (got myself a pit-pass), so I figure a 24-105 will do me just fine.

5. solrac8126

solrac8126 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well the canon 40d with the grip, another battery, the 16.35 2.8L it's less than 3k on amazon, if i where you i guess that will be my choice, then the 70-200 2.8

Anyways the xti with the battery grip it's a huge difference, you can get the opteka one for around 80$ with 2 batteries (which is the one i have) and try the rebel like that if not you could sell it anyways, if you do that then you still can purchase almost 3 lenses
    16-35 / 24-70 / 70-200 :mrgreen:

then when you get more money you can use the rebel as a back up

hope this helps...

6. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

The 16-35 f2.8L II is only $1400.00 at B&H. A lot better than less than 3K in my book.

7. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I am a 40D owner and love it. But there are a couple of things to consider. Do you need spot metering? Do you need 6.5fps? If the answer to those two questions is no then the XTI is a keeper in my book.

I notice that you are looking to upgrade to a 2.8 version of the 70-200. If you need fast glass I would suggest that you look at the 24-70 f2.8L instead of the 24-105 f4. The "brick" is a great piece of glass and I find the faster glass to be of more use than IS in that focal length. It is part of my zoom trio that includes the 16-35 f2.8L II and the 70-200 f2.8L. All fast and a good range covered. Not cheaply, but covered.

8. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

Why don't you figure out what your needs are and upgrade appropriately?

9. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    If this is the best reason you have for an upgrade to the 40D, I would highly recommend that you stick with the XTi and invest in the appropriate glass attached to the camera. There is more to be gained in an upgrade of glass. If you need low-light speed at a sacrifice of weight, bulk and focal range, then 24-70L gets my vote. If you need a superior walk around lens, the 24-105L gets my vote. This is assuming that you don't care for the loss at the wider angles....

JIP is being brutally honest as usual.. but in this case, I will have to agree. WIthout that all figured out, this is an upgrade for the sake of upgrading.

10. soylentgreen

soylentgreen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

11. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Keep the present camera, upgrade the glass.

12. drken

drken TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I got the 17-55 2.8f EFS lens. Actually, 6.5/sec and spot metering would be very useful to me. Just not enough to justify not getting the lens. The 40D (or higher) is still an option, but I'll wait until I get some more money. The rest of my tax return is going towards a 24" iMac and a copy of Photoshop which will probably help me more than a 40D would.