upgrading soon- help me decide

I found used d90 for $680.
Would you say d90 or T2i?

For still pictures, I found the D90 a better option.

But as always, you will need to make sure any used equipment is in good shape before buying. Also, the D90 sells for $780 new (body only) at Adorama. Does the used one come with any lenses for $680? If not, the used one doesn't seem to be all that much of a savings (13%). If you can find a refurbished one, that may be the best way to get the price down since those come with some sort of a warranty. None of the big stores seem to have any refurb D90s at the moment though.
Where did u see $780 for body?
I went to adorama site and only saw $849. Can you link me?

When you look at the item, it'll list as $849, but when you click "add to cart", it'll show up as $780 in your cart. They do it that way due to some legalities about advertised prices on the web site...

...... the D90 sells for $780 new (body only) at Adorama......If you can find a refurbished one, that may be the best way to get the price down since those come with some sort of a warranty.

All refurbished Nikons from Adorama Camera come with a 90-day return-to-Nikon warranty (and refurb Canons, a 12-month return-to-Adorama warranty)

When you look at the item, it'll list as $849, but when you click "add to cart", it'll show up as $780 in your cart. They do it that way due to some legalities about advertised prices on the web site...

Nikon USA's MAP (minimum advertised price) rules for some of their products require us to list them online this way. We appreciate the inconvenience, but are contractually obliged to follow Nikon USA's rules in this matter.
Putting an item in a shopping cart does NOT oblige you to buy it :sexywink: and an item can be put in a shopping cart anonymously, so there's no reason not to do so to check whether there is a lower price available!

Haha wonderful. I was planning to stop buy the adorama store in manhattan to try out the d90 and maybe the t2i. You guys have display models? And do you match your online price in store? :)

Haha wonderful. I was planning to stop buy the adorama store in manhattan to try out the d90 and maybe the t2i. You guys have display models? And do you match your online price in store? :)

The store price is exactly the same as the online price - but the inventory is separate.
We have most popular models of cameras and video cameras on display, and whatever we do not have, the salesperson will bring up to show.

To be on the safe side, it's best to call ahead and speak to the store manager, Martino 212 924 3243 (or his assistant, Henry), to ensure that the items you are interested in are available.

Last edited:
Do you guys have display models to try out in the retail store?

well i know i would like to get better with manual. i guess i just had a bad experience manually focusing with my e-510 and and OM 50 mm 1.8, tiny dark viewfinder. i would focus sharply and after i took the pic they would be much softer after

For portraits, a crop sensor camera (such as the t2i) with a 50mm f/1.8 would be adequate. If you want a better lens, pop for the 50mm f/1.4. Either of these lenses stopped down to f/2.8 are razor sharp. The 1.4 passes better color and focuses more effectively. Plus it will give you a brighter viewfinder. Either of these lenses would be amazing for video as well. Unfortunately, they do not come with IS available, which is definitely a downside.

For portraits, a crop sensor camera (such as the t2i) with a 50mm f/1.8 would be adequate. If you want a better lens, pop for the 50mm f/1.4. Either of these lenses stopped down to f/2.8 are razor sharp. The 1.4 passes better color and focuses more effectively. Plus it will give you a brighter viewfinder. Either of these lenses would be amazing for video as well. Unfortunately, they do not come with IS available, which is definitely a downside.

what about d90

Same situation with the d90... I don't know enough about nikon to comment any more than that. I do know that canon uses a 1.6x crop, while nikon uses a 1.5x crop. This means that a 50mm on a canon is slightly wider, and a 50mm on a nikon is slightly longer. Probably not even enough to notice though.

Most reactions

Back