Upgrading Soon to Nikon FX Format 810 (or 750?)

kdthomas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hopefully soon I will start seriously thinking about upgrading my D3200 to either a D810 or maybe a D750. I need help making this decision.

And I know the rule about glass before bodies ... and I know gear will not make me a better photographer. But I get the feeling an FX is in order to start getting to the next level (am I wrong here?)

I see myself mainly being (maybe) semi-pro, shooting studio portraits, weddings, some creative stuff on location, product photography. Money's not too big a deal, but I want to at least try to spend it wisely :) e.g., the $1k difference in the two bodies could mean a really good lens, or lighting equipment.

I want to tether to Lightroom, and I really want razor-sharp images. Most important: I don't want to be in some aw-gee-you-got-an-xxx-camera-body-and-those-cant-do-that type of situation. Then I'll have to hack. I don't want to hack. I hate hacking. I want a good, proper tool that keeps me from having to hack in the first place, unless I absolutely have to.

what's your total budget ?
I ask that because you already said you can't buy BOTH the d750 ad d8x0 .. so there is limited funds there.

But for absolute detail I think the d810 would be better with the lenses to go with it (more money)

Two very different bodies with two very different purposes (and prices). I can't comment on the tethering; hopefully someone else will chime in, but for studio work and the rest of what you describe, money not being an issue, I would strongly recommend the D810. It's not a rapid-sequence or action body; the buffer fills up relatively quickly, and the FPS rate isn't what a lot of people consider fast, but it's a beautiful body for shooting when you have the luxury of time. That said, you're not going to want to waste it's ability on an 18-55 kit lens; you need to be into the 'gold-ring' glass to make the most of it, so there's that expense to consider as well.

D810. You won't regret it. The files that camera produces are stunning, and only surpassed by medium format. That being said, there's still little info out on the D750.. but if your goal is sharpness, get the D810 and an 85 1.8G. You CAN'T beat the sharpness of that combo. And the lens isn't that sharp. Just be aware of the file sizes and have GOOD quality cards to match, and you'll be set.

Do it.

Now.

Right.

Now.

D810. You won't regret it. The files that camera produces are stunning, and only surpassed by medium format. That being said, there's still little info out on the D750.. but if your goal is sharpness, get the D810 and an 85 1.8G. You CAN'T beat the sharpness of that combo. And the lens isn't that sharp. Just be aware of the file sizes and have GOOD quality cards to match, and you'll be set.

Do it.

Now.

Right.

Now.
D810, better then the D750, just the lack of AA filter would already make me consider the D810 over the D750 and also the back focusing button.

Hmmm leaning toward the D810 and probably more lenses (wheee!) ... the frame-rate is not a biggie. I definitely will not be doing sports/action photography.

The outsides might be very different, but Autofocus sensor and Metering are basically the same, and the sensors are both from Sony and top notch.

So in sheer image quality, its really just 24 Megapixel with AA-filter vs 36 Megapixel without AA-filter.

From the ergonomics, I would definitely prefer the D750:
- flipscreen
- real mode dial for fast access, including U1/U2 quick access of user configurations
- smaller, more lightweight
- Builtin WiFi

The main feature I miss compared to the D810 here is the much more silent shutter of the later.

And yes, good glas obviously needs to be a priority for good results. For BOTH cameras.

P.s.: Oh, and one can definitely shoot action with the D810. Works very well, except for low fps.

I would like a d810, but 24mp is loads. Aa filters were in almost every dslr until lately so probably only really matters if zooming in at 100%. Most people don't look at photos like that.

From your post I say a d750 or even a d610. As good as the d810 is I believe that the 24mp chip performs a little better at higher iso (you mention weddings).

Realistically, if you need 1/8000the shutter speed over 1/4000, or a 1/250 flash sync over 1/200 your decision is made for you.

There are many other differences and if you said I love taking shots for myself I'd recommend a d810, but your buying a tool to serve a work purpose.

Agree with Solar on the 5fps. No problem with sports and I noticed people kept lamenting about 5fps is too slow. Yes it's slower then many other cameras(regardless of mpx). And no, you don't need 30fps to do sports. 5fps is enough. We kept talking about how important is good technique. Yes, with good technique you can even do sports at 3fps. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using the canon system but I will say that the D810 reviews that I have seen have made me consider switching to Nikon gear. (Until Canon announced the 7D mark II).

The low light capabilities of the D810 from what I saw were awesome.

And btw to OP. D800e should be sufficient for you. Sharpness is no less then the D810 and seemingly more refined when viewed at 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully soon I will start seriously thinking about upgrading my D3200 to either a D810 or maybe a D750. I need help making this decision.

And I know the rule about glass before bodies ... and I know gear will not make me a better photographer. But I get the feeling an FX is in order to start getting to the next level (am I wrong here?)

I see myself mainly being (maybe) semi-pro, shooting studio portraits, weddings, some creative stuff on location, product photography. Money's not too big a deal, but I want to at least try to spend it wisely :) e.g., the $1k difference in the two bodies could mean a really good lens, or lighting equipment.

I want to tether to Lightroom, and I really want razor-sharp images. Most important: I don't want to be in some aw-gee-you-got-an-xxx-camera-body-and-those-cant-do-that type of situation. Then I'll have to hack. I don't want to hack. I hate hacking. I want a good, proper tool that keeps me from having to hack in the first place, unless I absolutely have to.
The only realistic thing that keeps the D750 as a limitation is the 1/8000 shutter speed, and in all honesty, that is no limitiation at all. THE AA filter is annoying, but you can live through it. AS you do know, that 1k could be better off spent on glass. Get the 750 and get some of nikons trinity glass. You won't regret it.

OK, one more thing

... and an 85 1.8G. You CAN'T beat the sharpness of that combo ...

D-B-J do you mean this one: Nikon 85mm f/1.4G IF AF-S Nikkor Lens - Nikon U.S.A. Warranty 2195
Nikon SKU 2195

Ken Rockwell raves about this lens, and I tend to give a bit of weight to his opinion. I really would like to nail my research on this one.

No! That's a lot more expensive, heavier, slower to focus, and is said to be not nearly as sharp wide open as the 1.8G. That's ONE POINT EIGHT. For $500 it's one of the BEST bargains Nikon has to offer. Truly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back