Upgrading Soon to Nikon FX Format 810 (or 750?)

OK, so with the D810 I'm spending an extra $1k to get ~10 extra MP, 1/8000 shutter speed, HDR bracketing, and I lose the convenient U1/U2 button, but I can use the settings banks as a (kludgey) workaround for this. Am I getting close?

I've been looking at the controls & manuals and I think I may like the D810's controls a bit better.

You might wanna go hold both. I held the D750 at best buy... It's small. It's not nearly as comfortable as the D8x0 series. I was worried I'd be upset that I got a D800 instead of waiting for the D750, but I am not. At all.

Instead of U1/U2 you get customizable shooting menus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, you get 4 shooting menus and 4 settings banks. The entire 4 x 4 banks + settings menus thing is a f*****g MESS. It's a system that sucks. Big-time sucks. With U1 and U2, you get TOP-deck, dial-mounted pre-set positions that can be accessed INSTANTLY with full memory of all settings. The 4 menus + 4 banks system blows. The two systems are not even remotely comparable: the D750 system is better. It's also used in the Canon 5D Mark II because the separate, simple system is the better system than a mixture of 4 + 4, which has soooo many possible permutations that it basically becomes almost useless. When one has four settings options, which are depended on getting the exact right corresponding settings menus right, both ways! the chance for a royal screw-up,at any time, is very high.
Not sure what are the settings bank. Each shooting menu gives you options to set individually all the a1- ... Options. For example if I set one for studio portrait I'll set the individual option in a-g. So whenever I need that I just select that shooting menu. Not sure how the settings bank come about ...?

NOBODY is sure what Nikon was thinking when they went to 4 + 4 on the pro Nikons. It's almost totally ******g useless.

Nikon D800 and D800E Custom Setting Menu

"
Complaints and Organization

Nikon is pretty sloppy about naming and organizing the menus, sorry.

This menu is also all about shooting, just like the Shooting Menu. It's tricky to remember if something is in the Shooting Menu or the Custom Setting Menu.

I use the D800 and D800E daily and rarely can remember in what menu Nikon has hidden what. I use the My Menu menu for the items I use often.

There are four selectable memory locations which store all the settings in this menu. They are called A, B, C and D. You may add your own names to them for convenience. I name my A as KenRockwell.com for my wild color shots, and I call B "Family" for my family shots with normal colors.

Nikon did another bone-headed thing by naming the Shooting Menu Banks A, B, C and D, and then using the same names (A, B, C and D) for these Custom Menu Banks. They should use 1, 2, 3 and 4 for one of them to prevent confusion. Don't worry: I have an engineering degree and patents, and I get confused, too.

There is no "SAVE" command. The bank you have selected is updated immediately as you change settings. If you've never selected one then you've been working in the A bank all along.

You can save names for each, but you can't lock any of these banks. If you have a bank you don't want altered, don't shoot actively with it. Anytime you change anything in the Custom Setting Menu you are changing the settings of whichever bank you have selected. To save a Bank you must work in another, since there's no way to lock them. Nikon confuses us all by letting us save names which stay locked while the settings wander all over the place as we change them in shooting.

I ranted about this back at Shooting Menu Banks.

"

The upshot is there is NO SAVE command on the "pro" Nikon bodies!!! On the D750, two,distinct, clearly-labeled 100% complete sets of custom configurations for each and every control option can be saved as .BIN files and loaded onto a memory card, and transferred to the camera. The U1 and U2 remember ALL the settings of the camera, and those setting can be SAVED, and stored. The Custom Menu Banks A,B,C,and D and the Shooting Menu Banks A,B,C, and D are really just "temporary" settings that are easily overridden, as the controls on the camera are pressed. When you make a change, or three,four, five, or ten changes, you must MANUALLY re-set each and every parameter back to where it is supposed to be. In either one, or both, of the banks!

My D3x uses this same idiotic system, I've had it for two years. My D2x used the same system, I've had it for nine years. In ACTUAL day-to-day shooting, I have never found the split shooting/custom menu "banks" concept to be worth a tinker's damn.

The My Menu (formerly the Recent Items menu, introduced with the D2x in 2004) is one thing, and that was helpful on the old D2x, but with the introduction of the D3 generation, the menus got even more-expansive, and more complicated. Again...the U1 and U2 user pre-sets are FULL, and COMPLETE, and SAVABLE settings groupings that the user can create, set, and SAVE, and even store on a memory card or computer. This is an entirely,entirely different approach than 4 banks and 4 settings banks, each named A,B,C,D, and A,B,C,D. That is the height of stupidity, on multiple levels. The actual usefulness of the "pro-level" bodies has been compromised as far as access to rapid, sure-fire, reliable settings.

Way,way,way too many options, named A,B,C,and D, in TWO separate similarly-named panels? OMFG...there actually is such a thing as too much complexity for ease of use and reliability. Driving a car at the minimum requires a steering wheel, gas pedal, brake pedal, and a transmission selector, in most vehicles sold today. Imagine a system with steering wheel A, and steering wheel B, gas pedal A, gas pedal B, brake A and also brake B, and then Transmission A and transmission B;,

Between the Shooting and Custom banks,I believe on my D3x I went through and counted 163 separate control option possibilities, which I could arrange in 24 separate, 4-letter A-B bank combo sets. And of course, if I make ANY adjustments, the "sets" I THOUGHT I had developed are......instantly deleted, never save-able...never store-able...

Pretty much useless.

I get your point on the saving part but honestly just keep it simple. 1 shooting bank with just 1 custom menu then you have U1 to U4. Personally I've never used any of the U1/U2 on my D610 nor have I used the custom shooting banks on the D810. I've never saw a need so far. I've never reached a point where I couldn't ready the camera's basic setup for a shoot but that's just me. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back