Upgrading to a professional grade film SLR

The Elan 7 is a tiny bit larger than the Rebel and the 1v (without grip) is about the size of a 5D. The 1vHS (includes high speed grip) is about the size of a 1D markII. I'd say the the Elan 7 is about at par with the 30D and 40D in terms of quality but slightly smaller in size. The EOS 3 (wonderful camera) is about the size of the 30D and 40D.

Don't forget about the older but well received Canon A2E. If you see yourself owning a 1 series DSLR in the future, I highly recommend the 1v. The basic control layout is identical which means switching between letsay a 1DmII and 1vHS doesn't require a mental switch in operation.

By the time DSLRs hit the market, Canon had invested soooo much technology and R&D into their film cameras that you really can't make a bad decision. I'd just think in terms of how much you can afford.

I had a Rolleiflex. Too many moves for me.

A Canon EOS 2A? They're wonderfully intuitive and classy. Dependable too.

Nikon F3HP; the best manual SLR Nikon ever made and in production for nearly 20 years-and all it uses is one tiny 3V lithium battery which will give you at least a year of use. It has just one 'auto' function-aperture priority.
For a true, fully manual and professional quality camera with no LCD displays or 'custom functions', no plastic, light weight and bomb-proof, all metal build the Nikon FM2N is unbeatable.

lol this looks like a Canon vs Nikon thread.

I would recommend the Canon because t seems you already have a lens or 2.

A great Rolleiflex alternative is one of the Mamiya TLR's; either the C220 which I used for a few years, or the more spohisticated C330 Professional. The compact Yashicamat TLR is also a fine camera. Just make certain the bellows are light-tight (on the Mamiya) with no pinholes. The 124G is the model to go for.
The first time I saw that big, crisp 3-D image on the Mamiya's screen was a revelation-it takes a while to get used to seeing everything in reverse though.

Most reactions

Back