Uploading question

sabenemmons

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I shoot all film. I just cant seem to kick my self to digital but in todays market you have to go digital at some point. up until now i have been happy with my scanner but i want to go more professional with my photos and am looking for a very good scanner or alternative way to get my photos digital.
any help
saben

What scanner are you using now?

How much do you want to spend?

right now i have a radioshack bought lexmark printtrio x1150. It does a good job but the photos just come out really grainy i have heard of negitive scanners. How do they work. also im a poor kid so money is always a problem

A dedicated film scanner (sometimes called a negative scanner) will give you vastly better quality scans than a flatbed scanner. In fact, you get better digital quality than all but the best digital cameras.

I assume that you are currently scanning your prints? With a film scanner you scan the actual film (negative or slide) at a very high resolution.

I think they start around $250 US and they can get fairly expensive.

Another alternative would be to have your film scanned and put onto CD. Most mini labs are digital now anyway. Just ask for your photos on CD. You don't even have to get the prints...just get the film developed and the photos burned onto CD.

Drum scanning is the ultimate way to scan your photos.

Good drum scanners can resolve 8,000 to 11,000 dpi optically

The scanners are so expensive that only pro labs would even have such a wondrous machine.

Generally drum scanners are of an impressive size, and correspondingly expensive, costing around as much as a car or a small house. These are used by pro labs to scan your film, so it is hardly surprising that a high resolution scan can cost $50 to $100 a time. The drums used are typically a metre or so long, and a number of images are scanned at the same time, each negative being held on a small part of the drum's surface.

The light source is in the middle of the drum, and the photocell outside. As the drum rotates, it scans every point on a circle around it. The light and photocell then move a fraction parallel to the axis of the drum for the next line to be scanned. The curved drum keeps the film to light source distance constant, and avoids problems with reflections.
from http://photography.about.com/library/weekly/aa060203e.htm

They may have those high dpi's but it doesn't matter. 4000 is really the max dpi because you are looking at the grain at that point. The problem with CCD scanners is the noise in the shadow detail. With drum scans, you don't get that noise. They are wet mounted as well which eliminates newton rings and small imperfections like scratches and dust.

sabenemmons said:
thank you for your thoughts i have done the photo on cd and online option but have tons of photos already processed. I found this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...il&Q=&sku=198021&is=REG&si=feat#goto_itemInfo I think this may be the thing i am looking for. Its cheap i know but you do what you can.

Dude...this looks really good...I know this is random but thank you...I think im gonna buy this.

It looks good for people like me that are begginers...or just want the images for websites.
If you want professional images though matey, Id go for higher prices, but this will do if you just want your pics on your p.c., and are not gonna re print them or something.
I dunno much, just my opinion.

Thanks again, Artemis.

Edit: Hot damn...found something even cheaper you may like matey...as everyone knows im a jessops love, and heres why Click here for an even cheaper scanner :)

I wouldn't waste my money even being a beginner.. You can get the scan dual III for $200. Just spend the extra $70 and get the superior scanner.

I was gonna say that - even though right now you may only want them for the web in the future you may need prints off your negs or slides - why spend the extra cash and do it right the first time, itll save you money in the long run.

Hey everyone,
excuse my ignorance, but this scanner you are talking about the
dual III. Is this a scanner that you put your actual print in and
scan at a good quality? Or are you talking about putting actual
negatives in this scanner?
Is it really that good....maybe I should try it. I am a film photographer
that works alot in photoshop.
Tell me your opinions please.
thanks a bunch!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back