Urban Photography

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by nikki2291, Jan 20, 2009.

1. nikki2291

nikki2291 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I live in the city and am going out later to try some urban photography. I have read a bit on it but I was wondering if anyone here has any tips for me?
    Thanks in advance! =)

~Nikki~

2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just shoot what you think it interesting.

3. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Try to shoot from any other position than standing straight up. Shooting from eye level tends to look commonplace and boring. Change the shot angles... shoot from high angles, shoot from low angles. Shoot with the camera in portrait orientation once in awhile. Don't only take one shot of a scene...take at least three. Get close. Watch the light. Watch the shadows. Try shooting with both eyes open. Shoot things that you wouldn't normally shoot.

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yep, mixing it up is key...

Also take LOTS of shots.

A lot of them will be throwaways but you'll end up with a few REALLY good keepers.

I always figure the more pictures you take the better chance you have of getting a couple really nice captures.

5. nikki2291

nikki2291 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Okay, I do like the sound of shooting down close to the pavement...it sounds interesting. Although I am gonna get alot of weird looks...lol. Why shoot in portrait mode?

~Nikki~

6. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I didn't mean shooting with the camera in Portrait Mode, I meant turning the camera 90 degrees and shooting vertically.

I'm fairly new to photography myself (had my XTi a year now) and I read a lot of books and web tutorials on photography and one tip that stood out was that most new shooters tend to only shoot with the camera in the landscape orientation even though you can just turn it and shoot in the portrait orientation. I thought about it and realized that I don't shoot in portrait orientation much and have forced myself to start shooting that way as well as in landscape orientation. Sometimes a picture that just doesn't look right in the landscape orientation will look great when in portrait orientation.

I noticed most of my more experienced shooting buddies do post a lot of pictures that are in portrait orientation.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't limit yourself. Go outside your comfort zone a bit. You have to push yourself to see how much further you can go.

7. Atlas77

Atlas77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    When doing urban take loads of shots and get creative with your angles and shots your taking.

Good Luck.

8. Katier

Katier TPF Noob!

Working down at the pavement level can be great fun, but don't overuse it either.

One thing I have found ( if you really get into it ) is having camera's that work quickly. For this reason rangefinders and TLR cameras are both good choices if your really getting into it. Both are quiet cameras that are lighter to handle and quicker to use than a DSLR.

DSLR's do work, and work well, but it's worth considering other options if you get into urban shooting a lot.

9. Mgw189

Mgw189 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    For sure especially in an urban setting. I find myself shooting more in portrait mode than I do normal.

10. TheSon

TheSon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Huh? My friend's Leica M8 rangefiner is heavy, manual focus, and slow. Although it takes AMAZING pictures.

How can you get quicker than pointing and shooting with a DSLR? I'm confused.

11. Katier

Katier TPF Noob!

You don't focus ;)

Urban photography is often done in fairly even light, similar distances. So you can setup the camera and all you do is point and shoot ( without even waiting for the camera to focus ). You might adjust one stop if you see your shooting into darker or lighter but for the most part it's all similar distance, aperture and shutter speed.

My yashica TLR I did an entire, properly exposed, urban/street shoot on the SAME settings except for 2 shots which were in a darker aspect and needed me to pay attention. Those 2 shots would have needed the SAME attention on a DSLR because you would need to be aware of depth of field for it so couldn't just point and shoot.

There's a brilliant example of this on the web. Sadly I don't have the link to hand or the photographers name but he is a well known street photographer in NY. He does all his shooting with a rangefinder and flash and literally he spots a shot, points and shoots. No changing of settings ( he couldn't anyway as his holding the camera in one hand and flash in the other).

12. Beth81

Beth81 TPF Noob!

What exactly is Urban Photography and how is it different? I googled it and i just can't tell.