urgent.... plz help nikon question

Check out the thread titled "Anything but Ordinary" in the Wedding and Professional Portrait Gallery if you think you have to have a formal education to be a photographer. Joey Lawrence's stuff totally blew me away and he is only 18. (Just google his name). Photography reminds me of golf in that it is another "great equalizer". If you have the talent and the knowledge, you can capture incredible images, whether you are 15 over 85!

Like many things in life, you wil have a few special people who have a gift. To think that any and everyone can follow the same path and touch the same level as a Mozart, Woods or Lawrence, is setting one's self up for a lot of disappointment. One in a million can do it, but for all of us other mere simple human beings, we have to work at it... and some work damn hard to get to where they are. :heart: :mrgreen:

We all need the Ansel Adams, Lawrences and Maxblooms to remind us of how much we can improve and what is possible (well, ok no one can be another Max... lol)... yet very few actually come close, for all our efforts.

If the wedding is in a normal church, you'll probably want to raise your ISO...and will most likely want to use some fill flash.

You normally are not permitted to walk around takin gpictures during the ceremony, but you could ask beforehand.

Your lenses are not JUNK. They're not the top end ones...but you can and WILL get nice pictures out of them. Practice, practice, practice, and I shall look forward to seeing your results. Thanks for your appreciation, I was not sure how you meant your first post....I'm glad I could help.
Yeah, I'm reading a REALLY good book. The one I was referring to earlier. It's "The Digital Photography Book" by Scott Kelby. It's very fascinating and gives A LOT of tricks and so far he's only used a speedlight with some light diffusers and such.

He speaks a lot about fill flash in the "shooting weddings" section. When they are outside and the harsh sunlight is hitting them too much. It's amazing how direct sunlight is considered "bad light" and cloudy / overcast weather is optimal for photo shooting without the assistance of any equipment. I suppose it's just because that's the best time for diffuse light.

I know my ex-girlfriend's mom took our prom pictures during a rainy day and they came out really really well. Had no idea at the time that the rainy day is actually what made them come out very exquisite. As a matter of fact, I'll post a picture on here if I figure out how to and let you know in my next post.

Again, sorry for coming off as a jerk in my first post. I've looked at your Flickr account and you really do some killer photography. I'd love to learn how to do the portraits like you do. I'm guessing you just make sure you have a really low f/stop around 3.5 - 5 in Aperture priority to make sure the background is blurred and just the subject is tacksharp. Let me know if this theory is correct because I'm still just learning about Aperture, Shutter, and Manual modes. Last night I played with manual mode and noticed how I could get a VERY nice picture by using a decently low ISO (as to not introduce a lot of noise) and using a 30" shutter speed? I'm not getting all my vocabulary straight, but I'm still sure you know what I'm talking about because only one thing is measured in seconds. I also shot one with Hi100 (or something) ISO and 1/4000s shutter speed and it was noisy as all get out but I could still see the picture alright. I need to get a better understanding of how they all correlate in order to really get my skill at a higher level.

Enough with this post though. I believe I have a few others to address as well. =) Have a great one Sideburn.

Check out the thread titled "Anything but Ordinary" in the Wedding and Professional Portrait Gallery if you think you have to have a formal education to be a photographer. Joey Lawrence's stuff totally blew me away and he is only 18. (Just google his name). Photography reminds me of golf in that it is another "great equalizer". If you have the talent and the knowledge, you can capture incredible images, whether you are 15 over 85!
I just spent the time since my last post (so you can see how many minutes) looking at Joey's stuff. It's spectacular. Hard to believed he used an old 4 MP Minolta to take such exquisite stuff. I noticed he Photoshops a lot as well. That's something I'm trying to get into myself I think you can make some really cool stuff with it.

YES, I heartily agree with him. Do not misunderstand, though. Education comes in many forms... sadly, you will not learn photography from a forum anymore than you can learn cooking from a cook book or or how to drive from reading an owner's manual or become a mechanic from reading car magazines.

You also need to realize that a professional photographer is someone that did a lot more than just read online forums, took a few snapshots and decided to make 5 million dollars a year one day. Like ANYTHING in life, it is going to take learning from MANY sources, LOTS of practice, LOTS of time and LOTS of effort. They spent YEARS learning and perfecting their craft.

There is a massive difference between someone that takes snapshots and someone that takes photographs... and any camera alone is NOT going to make that difference. It is all about the person behind the lens.

BTW, A D80 is not what I would call a "pro" camera. Its a great camera that takes very good pictures (but only if the person behind the camera knows what they are doing), and yes, some professionals use a D80 as a backup or what not... but its not what I would even come close to considering a "professional" level camera.

Talk to me about a pro camera and a D2x or D3 comes to mind... but not a D80. It is more along the lines of what is known as a "prosumer" camera. Thats a very cute marketing term that means "lets fool the public into thinking that they have something more than what they really have".

That thing about learning how to take wedding shots from a book made me laugh.

This summer I had a chance to shadow a pro at a wedding (with his permission of course... and even then, I was just watching from a distance what and how he did.

Some interesting things he told me and that I saw:

- On average, he takes between 1500-2000 pictures for any given wedding.
- Preparation time for any wedding event is takes 1-2 days by itself
- He loses on average 3-4 pounds on the day he works a wedding and he carries on his ankle this thing that measures distances. He averages something like 4-5 miles the day of the wedding.
- On his list of priorities, the absolute last thing on the list is his cheat sheet of what pictures he wants to take... there are 78 things above it ranging from organizing small things like talking to the family, clarifying expectations to making sure his suit is back from the cleaners to making sure he has 4 sets of fully charged batteries for EVERY camera and flash he owns. He has 2 sets of everything... cameras, lenses, tripods, umbrellas, etc...

I could go on and on... however if you like to read forums and what not, do searches on wedding photography. There are hundreds of places you will go that detail the horror and success stories and what it REALLY takes to be a wedding photographer... over and above 1 camera, 1 kit lens.

You are in for a HUGE surprise as to the differences between a true professional photographer and someone with a camera is (even if that other camera is a $15,000 camera!).
Sorry, turned into a bit of a rant. Skip this post if you'd like to.

Speaking realistically or not, constructive criticism and making me feel like a dunce for even wanting to get into photography are two things. I understand where you are coming from but you exaggerated your points so much (not as in stretching them beyond the truth, but making damn sure I got them in my head) that I feel as if photographing weddings is a lost cause.

I'm a newbie. I don't need that. I need constructive criticism that isn't going to lie to me and tell me "yes, you can do it" like a mother would tell me, but jeez, it felt as if I was being told, "until you get this, this, this, and THIS, you can't be a photographer".

Another thing about the d80 comment. The lady at the mall that was shooting the santa portraits FOR MONEY (good money at that) was only using a d40. She seemed to have less knowledge than I about photography. I live in West Virginia, around here... people are not stupid hillbilly's as we are made fun of everywhere else, but everybody still is not the most educated person you've ever seen. I could go to a big city and try to compete for photography and SUCK, absolutely look horrible and be intimidated by people that have better things and more experience in Photoshop, etc. But around here, I'm slowly becoming the authority on photography. That doesn't say much, I realize and I don't think I can't learn A LOT more. I know nothing and I know this. But here, in this little 'ol place I call home, I know a lot and my d80 is as good (if not better) than some of the studios around here.

If you have the desire and spend the time practicing you will do whatever you want with your camera. With enough time and interest you could probably shoot a wedding with a high quality point+shoot (but you would have a hard time getting hired.) The real thing here is that you need PRACTICE.

I'm a newbie. I don't need that. I need constructive criticism that isn't going to lie to me and tell me "yes, you can do it" like a mother would tell me, but jeez, it felt as if I was being told, "until you get this, this, this, and THIS, you can't be a photographer".

lol... better you hear it from me becuase I am not your mother and I am not here to feed your ego, I will tell you how IT IS (sad part is, I mentioned *maybe* 5% of how really challenging it is!!)... better me than from the client that is about to sue your hiney becuase you screwed up their once in a lifetime wedding. If you do not think that is possible... go read some wedding photography forums... and I also believe that there was a nice thread here about something similar as well.

Sometimes a good dose of reality is just what the doctor ordered!

I said nothing wrong, but the reality is it WILL take work and LOTS of it. If that is too hard for you to accept, you have three options:

- you can quit and find something easier
- you can be a crappy photographer and go around thinking you are good
- you can use it to motivate you to learn what it REALLY takes.

Lots-a-luck in whatever you choose.

I did a little bit of your home-work for you. Check out these sites:

http://www.wpja.com/

http://www.wppionline.com/

http://strobist.blogspot.com

A little something that I copied and think you should read:

1. Learn photography before anything else. A wedding photographer is expected to be a master of the craft. You will be in charge of capturing people's most precious life moments. The wedding day is not the place to learn photography.
2. Just because you got a brand new camera it does not automatically make you an effective and reliable photographer. Photography goes beyond cool toys and gadgets. Learn composition and develop a unique artistic vision. Some of the great photographs of all time were taken with manual cameras.
3. Master the digital workflow, including color management, digital image processing, file management and image correction and enhancement.
4. Learn to love photography more than anything else. Don't come to the wedding photography field with just dreams of making money. It is true that there are many successful wedding photographers that make a lot of money. However according to the Professional Photographers of America the average photographer in America makes about $24,000 a year.
5. Focus on delivering quality more than quantity. Seek with all your heart to capture unique photographs.
6. Develop a style that is recognizable and unique. Don't try to be like somebody else. Clients look for unique photographers, with a unique vision.
7. Give wedding photography all your heart and effort. Long when you are gone your photographs will last forever. It is a great way to be remembered.
8. Open your heart and your mind and great photos will happen. Concentrate on the human aspect of weddings, the details, and emotions and be ready to capture them. Let the camera become an extension of you.
9. Share your technical knowledge and make connections with other wedding photographers.
10. Participate in wedding photography image competitions. It will give you the opportunity to have your work evaluated by peers and the motivation to improve your work quality.
11. Learn something new everyday. Take advantage of professional photography organizations such as Professional Photographers of America (PPA), WPPI, etc. Attend their seminars, workshops. Participate in Internet wedding photography forums and learn and share tips, tools and techniques.
12. Don't neglect the business aspect of wedding photography. Learn to manage your business effectively. Take business courses and seminars.

I did a little bit of your home-work for you. Check out these sites:

http://www.wpja.com/

http://www.wppionline.com/

http://strobist.blogspot.com

A little something that I copied and think you should read:

1. Learn photography before anything else. A wedding photographer is expected to be a master of the craft. You will be in charge of capturing people's most precious life moments. The wedding day is not the place to learn photography.
2. Just because you got a brand new camera it does not automatically make you an effective and reliable photographer. Photography goes beyond cool toys and gadgets. Learn composition and develop a unique artistic vision. Some of the great photographs of all time were taken with manual cameras.
3. Master the digital workflow, including color management, digital image processing, file management and image correction and enhancement.
4. Learn to love photography more than anything else. Don't come to the wedding photography field with just dreams of making money. It is true that there are many successful wedding photographers that make a lot of money. However according to the Professional Photographers of America the average photographer in America makes about $24,000 a year.
5. Focus on delivering quality more than quantity. Seek with all your heart to capture unique photographs.
6. Develop a style that is recognizable and unique. Don't try to be like somebody else. Clients look for unique photographers, with a unique vision.
7. Give wedding photography all your heart and effort. Long when you are gone your photographs will last forever. It is a great way to be remembered.
8. Open your heart and your mind and great photos will happen. Concentrate on the human aspect of weddings, the details, and emotions and be ready to capture them. Let the camera become an extension of you.
9. Share your technical knowledge and make connections with other wedding photographers.
10. Participate in wedding photography image competitions. It will give you the opportunity to have your work evaluated by peers and the motivation to improve your work quality.
11. Learn something new everyday. Take advantage of professional photography organizations such as Professional Photographers of America (PPA), WPPI, etc. Attend their seminars, workshops. Participate in Internet wedding photography forums and learn and share tips, tools and techniques.
12. Don't neglect the business aspect of wedding photography. Learn to manage your business effectively. Take business courses and seminars.
Wonderful, informative, enlightening post.

I suppose I better get used to taking other pictures first. I most certainly was not just wanting to do it for the money as a few people have gotten the impression I am. I just think it'd be nice to end up making around $1,000, even if it takes over 500 events and I make 2 dollars a piece. I just think it'd be nice that the camera "paid for itself".

As for taking the photographs. I am in love with the art. Since I got my camera I look at a lot of online galleries and see what I can do. It's wonderful. So I really am in it because I have a passion. :)

Thanks also, for doing my "homework" for me. Always great to have someone care enough to take a moment out of their day and help someone like that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back