Use a TTL flash Manually ...

Minolta flash meters (the later ones anyway) were said to be pretty good and not too expensive.

Minoltas are more than fine. Whatever you decide on, just check out the model number with a fast search on the net, you can get some opinions and a better idea of what to expect.

As far as where to look, check out some of the pawn shops in the east end of Montreal, there are about 3-4 down there in that area as I recall... yellow pages to find exact addresses and numbers. I saw one in Montreal north about 4 months ago... I would not think it was there anymore, there were 2 kids looking at it at the time.

The Sekonic is a little higher up on the price list, somewhere in the midrange as far as meters go now a days, but it is an ambient meter and a flash meter a built-in, with a retractable, incident Lumisphere (for quick comparisons of wide to narrow angles). It does what I need... and if I ever get into the Pocket Wizard thing, there is an optional module that can trigger the PWs from the meter wirelessly.

Last edited:
sorry again for this beginner question,
does the Flash Meters work with new iTTL flashes? I don't have any cord/plug on my SB600 and I am wondering if it still works without plugging the flash meter on the flash itself... I see you can have sync cables plugged on the Minolta Meters, why ?

thanks!

You would only use a flash meter with manual flash. If the flash/camera combo is using iTTL flash metering, then I guess you could still meter it, but you wouldn't be able to control the flash output more than using FEC.

How about a piece of graph paper, a calculator and a pen and just make your own table?

Heck, if you make up 10 of them you'll have it memorized and won't need to keep up with it. :)

Shutter speed is irrelevant, in terms of flash exposure....as long as you stay under the max sync speed, which is a limitation of the camera.

Does it use a leaf type shutter? If so, you can flash sync at any speed.

Typical 35mm format SLR cameras have focal plane shutters, which are usually limited to 1/250 or slower.

sorry again for this beginner question,
does the Flash Meters work with new iTTL flashes? I don't have any cord/plug on my SB600 and I am wondering if it still works without plugging the flash meter on the flash itself... I see you can have sync cables plugged on the Minolta Meters, why ?

thanks!

Your iTTL SB-600 is usable in full MANUAL mode, but note that it has no sync connector. You would need an adapter and sync cable for this (if this is the flash you intend to use). Refer to the book that came with the flash to walk you through the process (they are also available at the Nikon site in French, if this is more to your liking :) ).

You can have sync connectors in some meters because they can be used to trigger your sync-cord activated flashes. ;)

Also sync speed *is* a factor. Not so much for the objet lit by the flash, but the ambient and background. If you reduce shutter speed from 1/250th to 1/80th, the background will be a LOT brighter!

Last edited:
Does it use a leaf type shutter? If so, you can flash sync at any speed.

Typical 35mm format SLR cameras have focal plane shutters, which are usually limited to 1/250 or slower.

ok I see there are X- and M-sync on lens body, selectable, but don't know what speed is corresponding to that...

Most reactions

Back