Use of Sekonic L-308S

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Commonman, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Commonman

Commonman TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I recently acquired a Sekonic flashmate L-308S. I’m not unfamiliar with light meters and how they work but I feel a little uncertainly about the instructions and use of this light meter.

These days I am most commonly using the meter to measure the reflected light, especially in situations where I cannot get close to the subject so I am usually pointing the meter towards the subject from the camera position. The manual indicates that, if you measure from the camera position, the entire object is measured in average. However, the manual (to me) is not clear on whether or not the “Lumisphere” should be used for this type of application. (as opposed to the “Lumidisc.” It does indicate that the Lumisphere is appropriate for INCIDENT light measurement. But, as I am usually not able to get close to my subjects, I usually cannot use the meter in this fashion.

The manual appears to indicated that the “Lumidisc” is used to meaure manuscripts, painting or other flat copy, or otherwise for measuring light contrast. So, this leaves the Lumisphere or the naked lens for a reflected light measurement.

My question is, is it correct to use the lumiSPHERE for both incident and reflective light measurements (using this meter)?

I realize that I have to use my brain as well as the meter in evaluating light and setting the camera to give me the type of exposure I want.

2. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You use the Lumisphere or Lumidisk for incident light measurements only. You don't always have to be able to get to the subject - all you need to do is to measure in the same (or similar) lighting as the subject.

Best,
    Helen

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't have a Sekonic meter...but I've always used the naked lens for reflected readings (although, I don't use it for reflected reading when I have my camera) and used the dome for incident readings.

4. Commonman

Commonman TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    O.K., I will use the Lumisphere or Lumidisk for incident light measurements only.

Using the Lumisphere, I now understand that I need only measure in the same (or similar) lighting as the subject.

But let me give an example of a recent condition and see what you recommend. I'm inside a house, on the second floor looking out of an open window. I want to photograph various objects that are about 40 -50 yards from the window. It is very bright outside at the location of the objects and pretty shady where I am standing. I would think that it is only possible to take a reflected light reading, and therefore the Lumisphere or Lumidisk would NOT be appropriate. Will I be able to get a useful reflected light reading from the naked lens of the meter?

5. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Sure... BUT remember, the meter is telling you how to achieve GRAY. You'll have to consider this when selecting your exposure settings. The reading will give you an pretty good idea of what your exposure should be in order to retain detail in the shadow AND highlight areas of the scene. Of course, for more critical work, bracket the exposure.

Good luck!

-Pete

6. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You would need to go to the subject and meter for incident measurements. I have the same meter, and the dome can be removed and replaced with a reflected light attachment supplied with the meter. They also make spot attachments for this meter.

7. Commonman

Commonman TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You state that the dome can be removed and replaced with a reflected light attachment supplied with the meter. I'm pretty sure I only got the dome and a thing called a lumidisc. Are you referring to the lumidisc or something else? What does this attachment look like?

8. Commonman

Commonman TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, I think in a recent discussion I had someone said "expose for the shadows" or something like that. I just got a gray card and when I get time, I'm going to fool around with using that. And, yes - I will bracket if it is critical.

9. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Expose for the shadows, print for the highlights.... when shooting NEGATIVE FILM.

I wouldn't recommend this for reversal film or digital.

-Pete

10. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To use the L308 for reflected light just slide the Lumisphere out of the way of the cell.

A grey card reading should give similar results to the Lumidisc - ie it is like an incident reading using a flat receptor. The actual value should be slightly different because of the way the L308 is calibrated. Grey cards are a way of using a reflected light meter for incident readings.

Best,
    Helen

11. Commonman

Commonman TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Helen, O.K. good. I was just beginning to think that the L-308 was useless for reflected light measuring. I've been getting mixed messages on this matter. Some say it's only good for incident readings and that if I really want to do the reflected light thing, that I should get a spot meter.

12. Commonman

Commonman TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I also find Helen B's comments about the use of the grey card very interesting and informative. Thanks Helen!