Used equipment for beginners?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Shutterdog, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Nice try, but no, what I dislike is people spreading lies to innocent beginners... I am not criticizing beagle's love of mirrorless cameras, but rather the massive lies he posts here, everty single time somebody who is confused or a beginner, asks a purchasing question. he spreads a cannard, a half-truth, whatever you wish to call it. BS information. Misleading information. Zealotry that is downright deceptive to beginners.

As a senior member here, with thousands of posts designed to HELP people get the best photographic information I know how to provide, I take it upon myself to challenge and expose outright deceptive statements.

I find it kind of lame that, instead of addressing my actual points, you made an ad hominem attack on "me". Classless move, dude.

I know you've convinced yourself that mirrorless cameras are the way you want to go, yet, instead of addressing the actual issues with mirrorless cameras with ADAPTED d-slr lenses, you know instead of you addressing the FACTS I brought up, you attacked ME, personally. And attacked my photographic experience. WTF, man.

Maybe you can respond like a grown-up in your folllow-up post, BMW? Maybe address the fricking hardware issues with using adapted d-slr lenses, instead of attacking me and casting aspersions on me?

And, maybe, just maybe, you will spell my name correctly if you respond. Okay, BMW?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Yes, you can. As long as you aren't in bright sunlight that will do the job. The EVF will work in all lighting conditions unlike the monitor.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fmw

I think you will get over it, "dude."

4. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

Well he's probably not intentionally lying but he's presenting his opinion in a misleading manner.

It is true one can use SLR lenses on a mirrorless with an adapter and that they will show the same image quality as on the SLR (that doesnt however contain any statement about how much image quality the mirrorless is able to record).

It is however not true that they would offer their full functionality.

Even if its one of the really advanced adapters with autofocus support the autofocus wont be as good as on a SLR, due to the differences in the AF system.

Most adapters however have reduced or no functionality. Then you're reduced to whatever the mirrorless has to offer - typically focus peaking for manual focus support and probably/hopefully some support for metering.

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Indeed. I' m not too stressed by your personal attacks on me, nor by your smart-aleck comment in response. You responded about as one would expect.

6. Shutterdog

Shutterdog TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I went to best buy and tried a few mirrorless today. I never did before. The camera size and weight is indeed interesting and the EVF is better than I expected.
    But I still prefer the OVF.

That said, I see why people suggest the mirrorless for travel, it sounds like a solid compact choice. I may look for one in the future.

For now, I'm still on the market for a DSLR.

7. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I like it (EVF), but not everyone does, and it does have its faults/limitations ... it's not perfect ... but it is good that you actually tried one out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shutterdog

Shutterdog TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well I got curious. It is quite different to what I had imagined. Really closer to an optical one. But not quite the same.

I happen to like manual focus and optical viewfinder.

I am happy I gave a try to electronic ones to confirm my preference.

9. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Hmm, a DSLR with OVF and a split screen !!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. fmw

Agreed. It is strange to me that digital cameras have virtually abandoned manual focus aids. While they all have something, it is never as effective as the old split image finder.

11. fmw

12. birdbonkers84

birdbonkers84 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

My first camera was a D3300, I bought brand new because it was a "first", but I can tell you now a year on that my set-up for shooting wildlife is second hand and I like to think I've gotten some pretty good images from that. I even still use the kit lens that came with my D3300 on my second hand D7100. If you're going to buy second hand, just make sure the sensor is clean and your lenses don't have fungus growing on the optics/no scratches. My g.f now uses my D3300 and loves it because its easy to carry about and a good handle.

Good luck with your search!

• Like Like x 1