Used lenses

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by canonguy12, Jul 13, 2010.

1. canonguy12

canonguy12 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    What is the best way to determine the quality of a used lens?

I have come across a canon 100mm 2.8 macro for half the price of a new one.

2. sovietdoc

sovietdoc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Shoot with it.

On a serious note I wouldn't trust used anything. There could be lots of things that could be wrong with it besides scratches. Excessive aberration, focus issues..etc. I only trust used things I can try and see for myself.

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    well if you've used one thats new, it'd be easy to determine if there's anything wrong with it.

if the pictures look sharp, and the focus ring is smooth, and the glass looks clean, than you're probably doing pretty good for about $300.

4. JustAnEngineer

JustAnEngineer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  5. djacobox372

djacobox372 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Bah! all those things you mention (besides scratches) are manufacturing flaws could be wrong with a new lens as well.

Not much can go wrong with a lens that isn't immediately apparent once you start using it... so as long as you have a reasonable amount of time to return it... go for it--most ebay auctions allow for a few days to return if you are unhappy with it, and in disputes the buyer is HEAVILY favored by ebay and paypal... I'm much more scared to sell things online then to buy them.

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've bought many used lenses, with no problems (knock on wood).

7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I've bought loads of used lenses over 30 years...only about 5% were not everything they should have been. I once bought a Nikon 35-135 zoom lens that was a total Coke bottle bottom, and it was on its fourth owner (me), but that was just a crap lens design I think. I normally prefer to buy used lenses. Macro lenses are a special category: many people buy a macro lens, try it, use it a couple of weekends, or one summer, then get bored with it, and sell it used. Macro lenses are a good item to pick up used.

8. canonguy12

canonguy12 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  9. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Also...
    As with buying anything used, it can be helpful if you know some of the history of the item. For example, if you can find one that was barely used (as Derrel mentioned) that would be ideal.
    You might also consider the inherent durability of the lens. Pro quality lenses are made to work for a long time, so are often a good deal when you can buy them used. However, a lens that is used by a pro, may have been worked very hard (used & abused). So a pro lens that was only used by a hobbyist, may be another ideal scenario.

10. canonguy12

canonguy12 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It is only a 100mm 2.8 macro- the non-USM version. They want $300, which seems pricey to me considering a new, USM lens is $500.

What do you think a fair value for this lens would be? I am going Friday to go look at it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  11. canonguy12

canonguy12 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ^bump

12. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

I have that old Canon 100mm non-usm macro lens. I bought it used for a little over $300 a year or so ago. That lens is build like a tank!

Pros:
    - Very well build and feel very solid. Much better than my EF 50mm f/1.4 USM.
    - Use smaller 52mm filter
    - Front lens element is recessed, no need to use a lens hood.
    - Very sharp.

Cons:
    - Heavier than the USM version.
    - Slower AF (non-usm) but I do not use the AF most of the time.
    - Not internal focus, so the front part of the lens will extend.
    - Manual focus via a switch. I like full time manual focus like my EF 85mm f/1.8 (but I use manual focus most of the time, so no big deal)
    - Hard to clean the front lens element because of it position locates deep inside the lens.

Assuming the lens you are going to take a look is in good working condition, so if you get a used EF 100mm USM macro lens instead of the older one, you pay about $100 for better AF and internal focusing (IF). I choose the older version because I really don't care too much about the AF and IF since I am going to use it for macro stuff anyway. If you also want to use it for portrait lens, the USM version may worth the extra. By the way, the AF is slower, I do NOT mean the AF is sloooooooowww.

Here are some sample shots with my old 100mm Canon lens.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-took-another-fly-shot-afternoon-closeup.html