Used Nikon D3 vs D700 - HELP!

DaveAndHolly219

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I’m ready to make the jump from DX to FX. I’ll be buying used to get the most for my money.

I can get a D3 in “Bargain” condition from KEH for $822.

I can get a D700 in “Bargain” condition for $698 or in “Excellent” condition for $822.

I currently shoot with a D90 and I shoot mainly portraits, group events, architecture, and some landscapes. I also shoot the occasional sporting event etc, but that’s rare. Most of my work is done at wider focal lengths and often in low light, hence the desire to move to FX.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

The D3 and D700 have the same sensor and performance. The D3s has a better sensor in terms of high ISO use. the D3 shutter is allegedly longer-lasting than the lower-priced cameras. The D3's viewfinder image was a tiny bit better than that of the D700 in my estimation.

At Used Inventory | Pro Photo Supply they have a Nikon D600 with accessories for $795.

I would honestly think about moving to the D600 and the NEW-era Sony 24-MP D600 sensor...the performance of the sensor is super-impressive to me. Seriously: we have some members here who shoot the D600, and their photos just look good. The sensor performance is mostly about ISO invariance: the newer-gen Sony-made, 24-MP and 36-MP sensors are industry-leading. They can be under-exposed terribly, and then the files "lifted" in software, to a degree that you cannot possibly imagine if you're used to a D80 or D90, or even a D700...

I think this is the real key to Nikon and Sony and Pentax's success: they've put in the newest sensor technology in their cameras. Sensors that can be UNDER-exposed 3,4,5 stops, and then the files rescued in post; this is something that other cameras SUCK at doing.

I know you're planning on moving to paying jobs, so I think giving yourself every advantage possible make sense. Still, between the two cameras, my vote goes to the D3 series over the D700, but the D600 series over either a D3,D3s, or D700.

I looked at those same scenarios in the past before I jumped to FX from a D7000.

The D600 is a bargain in price vs performance. The oil splatter issue is the only problem with them but most should have had their shutters replaced by now .. I would hope.

I only sold mine to fund my D750 & D500.
I wish I kept the D600 as a backup to my D750 ... the DX is just different once you get used to FX.

KEH has a D600 in various conditions as well. It's a shame they don't list shutter count on their used cameras. I'll have to contact them for that info before pulling the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back