User, settings or technical issue (focus)

Hi all. I'm a novice photographer. I just like to take pics of my kids and that's really it. I've noticed that a lot of pics don't seem as sharp as I feel they should be. An example is available in the link below. This is typical of the results of my snapshots, but not always. I'm trying to get sharper images more consistently.
The pic at the link below was shot as follows:
Canon 60D
Iso 800
f5
1/125th
47mm
Exposure comp -0.33
Shutter priority mode
AF single
Focus point was placed on the subjects ear. Subject wasn't moving much at time of shutter release.
Focus point seems to be the area with least focus. Overall image is fuzzy Imo. Does it seem from the example to be user error, or is my autofocus malfunctioning? Am I expecting too much? Perhaps it's acceptably sharp given the settings? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
E

my advice for more "sharpness" - definitely get rid of that Tamron 28-75 and ditch the UV filter

Hi all. I'm a novice photographer. I just like to take pics of my kids and that's really it. I've noticed that a lot of pics don't seem as sharp as I feel they should be. An example is available in the link below. This is typical of the results of my snapshots, but not always. I'm trying to get sharper images more consistently.
Canon 60D
Iso 800
f5
1/125th
47mm
Exposure comp -0.33
Shutter priority mode
AF single
Focus point was placed on the subjects ear. Subject wasn't moving much at time of shutter release.
Focus point seems to be the area with least focus. Overall image is fuzzy Imo. Does it seem from the example to be user error, or is my autofocus malfunctioning? Am I expecting too much? Perhaps it's acceptably sharp given the settings? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
E

my advice for more "sharpness" - definitely get rid of that Tamron 28-75 and ditch the UV filter
Why would you ditch a highly regarded lens? Have you any experience with that lens or do you just not like Tamron for some reason.
Certainly seems sharp to me.

Canon 60D
Iso 800
f5
1/125th
47mm
Exposure comp -0.33
Shutter priority mode
AF single
E

Absolutely. Im about to buy some canon L series glass as a matter of fact. I have it narrowed down to the f4 24-70 and the f4 24-105. Based on the reviews I've been reading the better of the two is the 24-70, so that'll probably be the one.

The tamron was better than a kit lens, and at $500 it was a decent compromise. More and more I'm not really happy with that lens though.

Last edited:
Canon 60D
Iso 800
f5
1/125th
47mm
Exposure comp -0.33
Shutter priority mode
AF single
E

Why would you ditch a highly regarded lens? Have you any experience with that lens or do you just not like Tamron for some reason.
Certainly seems sharp to me.

The reviews on the lens are good, but over time for me it's started to experience physical defects. I'm very careful with my equipment too. I'm not too worried about its image quality because honestly, I need to work on my technique before I blame equipment. I'm getting the canon l lense because of the quality. I felt one in my hands at the camera shop. It's solid.

Virtually all my lenses are L glass. That's not to say that non L isn't good, but when you shoot day in and day out L glass will last for years. Thing is for the average shooter is the monetary cost worth it when Canon and other companies produce lenses with L glass IQ with lesser builds at reasonable prices. There are several EF-s lenses that are L glass IQ quality that will never see an L glass designation as the are EF-s lenses.

I have the 24-70 F2.8 II and while it is very much a go too lens it is not a lens that the inexperienced can generally just slap on a body and get steller results.

If you are not too worried about image quality why did you start this thread??? Before you dump a perfectly good lens you need to learn to get the most out of it before you decide to buy new expensive glass.

Last edited:
Virtually all my lenses are L glass. That's not to say that non L isn't good, but when you shoot day in and day out L glass will last for years. Thing is for the average shooter is the monetary cost worth it when Canon and other companies produce lenses with L glass IQ with lesser builds at reasonable prices. There are several EF-s lenses that are L glass IQ quality that will never see an L glass designation as the are EF-s lenses.

I have the 24-70 F2.8 II and while it is very much a go too lens it is not a lens that the inexperienced can generally just slap on a body and get stealer results.

If you are not too worried about image quality why did you start this thread??? Before you dump a perfectly good lens you need to learn to get the most out of it before you decide to buy new expensive glass.

In other words, I'm not worried about the image quality of that specific lens. Improving my technique is what I care about, especially bases on the advice I've received here. I dont believe the lens is the issue, basically.

That said, the lens physically doesnt appear that its going to last me many more years. I'm gonna have to replace it eventually, so may as well get the one I want since I can afford it .

Looks like an overcast day. I'd increase the exposure a little.

Hi all. I'm a novice photographer. I just like to take pics of my kids and that's really it. I've noticed that a lot of pics don't seem as sharp as I feel they should be.be user error, or is my autofocus malfunctioning? Am I expecting too much? Perhaps it's acceptably sharp given the settings? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
E

Why would you ditch a highly regarded lens? Have you any experience with that lens or do you just not like Tamron for some reason. .

dude, it's a $100 lens .... for full frame

yeah, I would ditch it for the cheap 18-55 STM

Most reactions

New Topics

Back