Using a lens adapter to go FD to EOS

Bohh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm considering buying a canon 400d which uses EOS lenses. I'm new to all of this but noticed that you can buy a lens adapter which will convert older FD lenses for use on the new EOS system. Will using a converter like this have any detrimental effects on picture quality or anything else?

Also, I was wondering if you can only use canon lenses on canon cameras or are there ways of using canon lenses on say a pentax or nikon camera?

Thanks,

-Mike

Welcome to the forum.

The short story on lens adapters....don't bother.

The longer story...
When Canon first switched to EOS cameras and EF lenses, they pissed off the pros who were using Canon cameras and lenses...so they made some FD to EF adapters. They were never sold to the public but they can be found, although they are expensive. Now, there are other adapters...but the problem is that most people have found that they are crappy because the lens element is cheap. I believe that there are some adapters without a lens, but then you loose infinity focus. So unless you have a really great FD lens, it's probably not worth the hassle.

As for other brands. Most of the companies use different mounts...so no, you can't use Canon lenses on Nikon cameras etc. There are adapters, but the same theory applies as with the FD to EOS adapters.

There are, of course, 'third party' companies that make lenses for different cameras. The best ones are Sigma, Tamron & maybe Tokina...which all make lenses for EOS cameras.

Thanks for the reply. That's rather disappointing. I was hoping to be able to use the lenses I already have access to.

Thanks,

-Mike

Discounting the D40, Nikons are backwards compatible with their lenses back to the AI lenses.

I've heard that you can even use a pre AI lens on the D40 if you are OK with sunny 16 and manual focus.

Also, I was wondering if you can only use canon lenses on canon cameras or are there ways of using canon lenses on say a pentax or nikon camera?

Thanks,

-Mike

It is easier the other way round - ie using other lenses on Canon cameras. This is because the flange focal distance (FFD; the distance between the lens flange and the film/sensor plane) is shorter for Canon SLRs than it is for other SLR systems. One comparatively common combination is a Leica R lens on a Canon body. You can do that with an adaptor, while maintaining infinity focus. Try to do it the other way round, and you would lose infinity focus because you could not get the lens close enough to the film/sensor plane.

Rangefinder cameras have much shorter flange focal distances than SLRs, so you could use Canon FD lenses on a Leica M for example, but you would have to scale focus unless you rebuilt the lens with a rangefinder cam (it has been done).

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back