Using a reflector correctly

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been following some great senior portrait photographers on instagram and last night I was digging through the behind the scene photos trying to figure out one of the ladies lighting. She uses a reflector outdoors, either silver, gold (rarely it seems) and white. She places the subject either in shadow or with the sun behind them and uses the reflector for fill. So as I was looking through it, I was trying to figure out a pattern as to when it is appropriate to use the silver or the white side and couldnt. It seemed to go either way for similar situations. So my question, is there a specific time when you use one over the other? Or does it just depend on the amount of light thats available? Like if its super sunny, use the white and when its over cast or later in the evening use the silver? Ive used my reflector a handful of times and the last it was a failure due to very harsh light from the silver side. Any thoughts would be helpful

There are a couple of factors: As you mentioned, silver is more reflective, so if you're trying to squeeze every possible reflected photon out of that reflector, than silver will give you a slight advantage over white, but more importantly (IMO) is the quality of light. Silver reflectors (whther on a 5 in 1, inside a softbox, light reflector, etc) tend to provide a sharper or 'crisper' light with more intense specular highlights, and especially good for darker skin tones. The white provides a softer light with better 'wrap', and is generally more suitable for lighter skin tones.

A silver reflector will be more "efficient" in it's reflection of light so you'll get more kick from it. However, it is crisper and more directional than white. If you're using silver you may want to go a bit larger than with white, and also be more mindful of where it is lest you get some harsh shadows. Placement is critical.

thanks guys. I was thinking about getting a large piece of white foam board to use because the reflector I have is one of those 5 in 1 things thats rather small.

I'd probably choose the reflector that would enhance the coloration of the scene or the model, and it might simply depend on the "look" I wanted.

thanks guys. I was thinking about getting a large piece of white foam board to use because the reflector I have is one of those 5 in 1 things thats rather small.

sounds good

I'd probably choose the reflector that would enhance the coloration of the scene or the model, and it might simply depend on the "look" I wanted.

I don't get to use my reflector all that much but when I do, this is pretty much how I determine which I use. I like to use the gold when it "works" to get that golden glow on the skin but it's just too much in some instances.. same for the silver. You can visibly WATCH the person's lighting change as you're holding it up or as your assistant is holding it up and I usually take a test shot and asses what I've got and adjust as necessary.

I don't get to use my reflector all that much but when I do, this is pretty much how I determine which I use. I like to use the gold when it "works" to get that golden glow on the skin but it's just too much in some instances.. same for the silver. You can visibly WATCH the person's lighting change as you're holding it up or as your assistant is holding it up and I usually take a test shot and asses what I've got and adjust as necessary.
Lots of 5 in 1s have a "white gold" which is simply alternating narrow bands of gold and white; this works well if you want to accentuate a suntan, giving a warm feel without being overpowering.

hmm mine doesn't but that would prob be exactly what I need! lol

Silver for long-distance throws, or when the light is highly diffused already, such as in low,open shade, late in the afternoon. White for sunny or partly cloudy light that has some direction to it. In bright light that has direction, silver reflectors look pretty specular. I think gold reflectors were meant for outdoor use to counteract the blue look in open shade back in the film days; or to create a "faked", warm sunset glow type of look on film.

I use a 42 x 72 inch white reflector much of the time. Why? It's actually large enough to reflect a significant amount of light. Those small, rounded discs are not very good for filling in larger areas, or even a standing person. Square, or rectangular is easier to prop up on the ground; the one edge on the ground STAYS where it is placed.

Scrim Jim Large 1 1/4-Stop Diffusion 72x72in. | PhotoTools

I have been wanting a 6x6 for some time now. maybe its time to just do it

I follow your work on Instagram...you could actually utilize a big panel or two in your work. With two of them clipped together, or one panel and one frame clipped behind it, you could make a free-standing "sandwich board" type reflector that would not require two stands to support and aim it when working outdoors. Indoors, two panels, ether 6x6, or narrower 42x72, can be clipped together to make V-flats...moving to these big squares or rectangles means light stands and grip arms are no longer essential for positioning/support.

I have a couple of 48 inch 5-in-1 reflectors, and stands to hold them. Sometimes they are useful. I also use white foam-core boards, sometimes. I'm frequently by myself, and big reflectors catch wind, so I don't usually take them outside.
For head shots and small objects, the black and white sides of the reflector are useful as backdrops.

Last fall, I saw some of the Pendleton Woolen Mills' fall catalog being shot in the streets of Portland's Pearl district by a photographer using a Canon 5D-series body, two assistants, a makeup and hair artist, and a large motor home as their portable changing area. All permitted, and talking up half of a short block for the monster motor home.

Basic reflector was a large, white-fabric Matthews fabric reflector. See the pages beginning at pages 14-15 for the Pearl District on-the-street photos.FALL 1 2013 APPAREL CATALOG It's obvious why they used a larger, bigger, and NOT-round reflector.

Westcott Scrim Jim And Matthews Bounce Boards. Perfect Combo | Erik Naso

Most reactions

Back