Using a teleconverter with a 70-300 lens?

jack58

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
moskovita-photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Has anyone here used a teleconverter with the Nikkor 70-300mm VR?
If so, what brand and type did you use and what is your opinion.
I've never used a teleconverter before and was curious as I might try it while I'm saving up for a longer lens.

It can be done, but there are issues to consider.

The main issue is that a teleconverter will steal some light. A 1.4X will steal about a stop and a 2X about two stops.

Now when you consider that a 70-300mm lens only has a max aperture of F5.6 (at 300mm) you will be hard pressed to get good shutter speeds because your effective maximum aperture will be F8 or F11.

And along with that, most cameras need at least F5.6 for the AF system to get enough light. So when your effective maximum is F8 or F11, it's very likely that the camera won't be able to auto focus.

...which, in effect, means that you'll have to go to 800 or 1600 ISO in broad daylight and end up with results that make you less than happy. I tried with a Canon 2x converter and my Sigma 70-300 and was not impressed. Well, at first, upon looking through and seeing how close I got, I was. But when I actually saw the photos I had taken, I wasn't any longer.

The other issue is that you will have to use a 3rd party TC as Nikon TCs will not fit that lens.

It can be done, but there are issues to consider.

The main issue is that a teleconverter will steal some light. A 1.4X will steal about a stop and a 2X about two stops.

Now when you consider that a 70-300mm lens only has a max aperture of F5.6 (at 300mm) you will be hard pressed to get good shutter speeds because your effective maximum aperture will be F8 or F11.

And along with that, most cameras need at least F5.6 for the AF system to get enough light. So when your effective maximum is F8 or F11, it's very likely that the camera won't be able to auto focus.
Hey Big Mike, my best friend from High School (Medford, Oregon) who has lived in Edmonton for the past 20 years still do some photography shoots. Last year was up in Jasper.

LaPhoto,
I knew that I'd lose some light. My thinking is it would be better to get a shot than none at all in some situations.
I would bump up the ISO and keep it near f/8 or f/11. I've had good shots in that range when I was using my former Sigma 50-500mm.

Tirediron,
I know Kenko makes some good teleconverter's and was considering this one:
Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 DG AF 1.4x

Last edited:
Hey Big Mike, my best friend from High School (Medford, Oregon) who has lived in Edmonton for the past 20 years still do some photography shoots. Last year was up in Jasper.
I love Jasper (and Banff, Kananaskis, Yoho etc.). Definitely my favorite places to shoot.

Another consideration is the quality loss with a teleconverter. There is definitely going to be some image degradation, but it's up to you to say whether or not it's acceptable or not.
I've had a chance to try out a 70-200mm lens, with both a 1.4X TC and a 2X TC stacked behind it. I would have thought that the image quality would be terrible, but it was actually not that bad in the centre.

I love Jasper (and Banff, Kananaskis, Yoho etc.). Definitely my favorite places to shoot.

Another consideration is the quality loss with a teleconverter. There is definitely going to be some image degradation, but it's up to you to say whether or not it's acceptable or not.
I've had a chance to try out a 70-200mm lens, with both a 1.4X TC and a 2X TC stacked behind it. I would have thought that the image quality would be terrible, but it was actually not that bad in the centre.

Riding that Tram up in Jasper was fun too. Quite the sight.

I usually crop some anyways when I was using the Bigma, so it would be similar I think.

I'll see if Dan who is in Edmonton will visit this site. He is real busy up there with his successful accounting business.

Well, fwiw, I have a nikon 70-300vr and a kenko pro 300 1.4.
I have used it on my 300s.
It is a nice tc as it fits well and AFs on this lens and the 70-200 f2.8 vr2.
It is not so nice, as mentioned, shooting at f8 minimum.
I like it on the 2.8 at f4.

I get very few good shots at less than 1/125s.
When a cloud passed I got 1/40 sec and all were blurred.

Here are 2 shots both at 1/400 f8 ISO 200 and 420mm.
First shot at 50ft and 2nd 75ft.
These were shot today at 2pm in FL in direct sun

50ft.jpg

75ft.jpg

Well, fwiw, I have a nikon 70-300vr and a kenko pro 300 1.4.
I have used it on my 300s.
It is a nice tc as it fits well and AFs on this lens and the 70-200 f2.8 vr2.
It is not so nice, as mentioned, shooting at f8 minimum.
I like it on the 2.8 at f4.

I get very few good shots at less than 1/125s.
When a cloud passed I got 1/40 sec and all were blurred.

Here are 2 shots both at 1/400 f8 ISO 200 and 420mm.
First shot at 50ft and 2nd 75ft.
These were shot today at 2pm in FL in direct sun
Well, I don't have a f2.8 300mm or longer lens. (only the 105mm f2.8)
I would be using this with my 70-300mm VR f4.5-5.6 lens.
Most of my Eagle shots were in sunlight as clouds didn't make for very good pictures. See my nesting Eagle story on my website, (in sig).
I will be shooting them again in March.
Hopefully, I'll have a longer lens by then, but if I don't, I'll get this teleconverter.

Those shots of yours posted are with the 70-300mm VR right?

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Those shots of yours posted are with the 70-300mm VR right?

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Shot at 420mm with 70-300 VR + Kenko N-AF 1.4X Teleplus Pro 300 + 300S in my backyard today.
I was taking a break from playing with my new 70-200 in the yard when I saw your post.

You're welcome.

edit;
BTW, I think the 70-300 VR is a great lens for the price. I use it a lot .
And my next lens (not soon) will most likely be the 300 f4 or maybe 80-400 or?

Last edited:
Have used a Tamron 1.4x on a Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-D with good success.

Yellow Hang #1 by orb9220, on Flickr

October "Harvest Moon" 2 of 3 (Partial Crop) by orb9220, on Flickr

But found on the 70-300VR just way too inconsistent for AF and Image IQ took quite a hit. As most recommend an f5.6 or faster lens to work. I wouldn't want one on a lens unless it was an f4 or faster myself. As then could get away also using the 1.7x but would probably shy away from using an 2.0x unless as a last resort kind of thing.

yes, I have used the 70-300 VR with the Tamron 1.4X. It functioned normally. However with the porcupine, it had to hunt a little bit as it was fading light.

porcupine.jpg

partridge_001.jpg

yes, I have used the 70-300 VR with the Tamron 1.4X. It functioned normally. However with the porcupine, it had to hunt a little bit as it was fading light.

Not bad at all! I haven't looked into the Tamron 1.4x yet. I will.
I would primarily use manual focus if I was using a teleconverter.

Why limit yourself if a feature is still functional?

Most reactions

Back