using flash

:blushing: thanks

There's nothing wrong with on-camera flash, as long as you know how to use it. The running shots were with an SB-600 on my hot-shoe, pointed directly at them, just like if I popped up the onboard.

I do agree with you, Switch that the built-in flash can sometimes get some neat results, but it's so much harder because of the complete lack of flexibility of it. The built-in flash is also **** weak :D

Edit: Thanks a lot, Village Idiot, edited.

I think the lighting for your SB-600 would be slightly different than using the on-camera, as the '600 would be mounted quite high on the camera. Still, I do agree with you that the on-camera flash can sometimes get some neat results, but it's so much harder because of the complete lack of flexibility of it. The on-camera flash is also **** weak :D

The terminology in this thread is off it seems. On camera flash refers to a flash that is fired from the camera hot shoe. The pop up flash and built-in flash are the flash that's integrated into the camera body. Canon's website calls it the built-in flash and I'm sure all the other manufactures do the same.

Switch was refering to using his SB on the hotshoe when he said on camera flash.

great feedback...thanks

Crosby, your situation was just lack of sheer power. What you can do though is use the 28mm, get in close and wide and drag the shutter, then the onboard is only freezing the subject while the ambient exposes over a little longer.

If you can't do that or are too timid, panning might be worth a shot. Also, there's nothing wrong with shooting at ISO 1600 or 3200, I sometimes shoot at high ISO's when using strobe so they don't have to work so hard.

EDIT: You were shooting at only ISO 400 at 1/60th of a second. bring that 2nd one up a stop, so you'd be at 1/60th ISO 800, and push the ISO to 1600, that's 1/125th, that's hand holdable and will also freeze action if you pan well, ISO 1600 on the 30D is pretty clean, and it's not like these are going to be printed at 12x18 anyway.

I know this was posted a while back, but thanks for the advice Switch. I think later that night I did bump up the ISO to 1250. I'll give those ideas a shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back