Using Lightroom on 2 Computers? HELP!

You can use it on up to two computers.. It's in their faq, right on their site.. did you try going to adobe's site?

FAQ | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4

How many computers are covered by a single license of Lightroom 4?

Subject to the terms of the software license agreement, the primary user of the computer on which Lightroom is installed may install a second copy of the software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable computer or a home computer, provided that the software is not used on both computers at the same time. Lightroom is sold as multiplatform software, which means it can be installed on either Mac OS X or Windows.
I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out.

The networking and synching to multiple computers is pretty simple and the guys can walk you through the different ways to do it that may fit you best.
My concern for you is the laptop, period. Can you control the calibration on your laptop 100%? Laptops are not even a remotely good choice for editing as the displays are just not good. Every little movement will have an effect on the calibration and how you see the image. You must be looking at it flat on 100%. You will need to calibrate it every day at work before working on it, unless you do not move it and you will still need to calibrate it at the very least weekly. Although even if I were working on a 100% stationary laptop that is glued in place I'd want to calibrate it before every single editing session. You will have to move it because you will need to take it home with you and I assume you are not lunching at your desk-you could be. Your best bet when editing on a laptop is to have an external, quality monitor attached. That doesn't sound like it's much of an option here because you are wanting the portability.
I have a feeling you will find yourself re-working everything you did on your laptop-especially with the color and exposure-when you get back home.

Last edited:
How do I share my lightroom catalog between the two so that I can work on both systems seamlessly?
You can't share the catalog.

In that regard Lightroom is a 1 trick pony. A serious limitation of Lightroom is that only 1 computer at a time can open or access a Lightroom catalog. No networking, unless only 1 computer on the network is accessing the catalog.

As MLeek mentions, laptops are notoriously poor image editing devices.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back