Using Manual Mode vs Av mode

sparky said:
JamesD, I don't think the OP was suggesting that he didn't know how to use either of the modes, but was curious as to to why the photography was using M mode then simply adjusting the settings until he got 0 EV when there is a much easier mode to use for this purpose.

Mmm, yes. I'll say it then: control of depth of field, as well as control of exposure. AV is semi-automatic. Set the aperture for the DOF you want, then let the camera control the shutter speed to get correct exposure. If necessary, manually adjust the exposure up or down.

I generally use M, unless I'm in a situation where I need to shoot quickly. Then, I usually use TV, since I'm typically shooting something like my company's football team in action... I want to be sure I use a fast shutter speed to catch the action, and DOF isn't quite as important. If I were shooting something where I wanted to control DOF and stop-motion weren't so important (a wedding, perhaps), I'd use AV.

That's how I use it. Maybe right, maybe wrong, but it works for me, and as I understand it, that's the general theory behind the two semi-automatic modes.

for me, shutter speed always comes first. however, i dislike using Tv. If i need high shutter speeds i just change the settings and shoot in Av. Usually i like a pretty shallow DoF anyway, so they coincide well. For set shots I often use M. otherwise i use Av.

Don't you guys use P? :meh:

I think it's best to take the time getting comfortable with all the modes to the point where you can view any scene and shoot just as easily with AV, TV, M-AV or M-TV.

There comes a time for all of them. ;)

I'm old fashioned. My camera has all the bells and whistles, but I have shot Manual or Aperture Priority forever. To me, it feels like I give up too much control with any of the program modes and I just never liked shutter priority mode.

Marctwo said:
Don't you guys use P? :meh:
As in 'Professional' mode, huh! :)

Actually there is this prominent wedding photographer here named Joe Buissink who shoots in P mode whenever there is ample available light.

I found another reason for using AV, rather than full auto (Manual would work, but loses the "semi-automatic" shooting--ha ha! I made a pun! :mrgreen: )

A buddy and I were working last night while he showed me some things about flash photography, which I'd never really used before because I never really understood it--and I still really don't, but I'm getting there.

Basically, what he proved to me is that, when using flash, shutter speed controls exposure of the background, while aperture controls exposure of the subject. Based on the roll of test shots we did last night, this is a very powerful tool: the camera automatically sets exposure for the background, keeping that exposure the same by changing shutter speed while the photographer adjusts aperture. Meanwhile, the photographer manually sets exposure for the subject by changing the aperture to expose correctly for the flash being used. Very cool! I might have to start using this, instead of using manual all the time...

I really do learn someting new about photography every day... one reason why it's so much fun.

JamesD said:
I found another reason for using AV, rather than full auto (Manual would work, but loses the "semi-automatic" shooting--ha ha! I made a pun! :mrgreen: )

A buddy and I were working last night while he showed me some things about flash photography, which I'd never really used before because I never really understood it--and I still really don't, but I'm getting there.

Basically, what he proved to me is that, when using flash, shutter speed controls exposure of the background, while aperture controls exposure of the subject. Based on the roll of test shots we did last night, this is a very powerful tool: the camera automatically sets exposure for the background, keeping that exposure the same by changing shutter speed while the photographer adjusts aperture. Meanwhile, the photographer manually sets exposure for the subject by changing the aperture to expose correctly for the flash being used. Very cool! I might have to start using this, instead of using manual all the time...

I really do learn someting new about photography every day... one reason why it's so much fun.

For me it's more of which metering mode I use. I very seldom use manual mode. Mostly Pm or "A". I find myself switching to the "spot" meter more and more for creativity and to have more control over the image. Until you learn how to use your light meter, does what mode you use really make a difference? Other than DOF, freezing the action or blurring it?

I would say learn to use your light meter first and fully understand it before moving to manual mode.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back