Using mirrors

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Fluid, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Fluid

Fluid TPF Noob!

Hey everyone! New to the forum :)

I have an idea for a shot in my head, but I'm not too sure how to execute it. Basically I want to shoot a reflection of someone in a relatively large mirror (like a dressing table mirror). But I wanted a more front-on shot.

My question is how can I get a tight angle, while hiding the camera from the mirror/shot. Is it just a matter of widening the angle until its out of the shot, or is there some really easy technique that I'm missing out on here?

Thanks!

2. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The best way would be with a view camera. With view camera movements it's possible to photograph a mirror so it looks like the camera should be right in the middle of the mirror, but it's not there.

Without a view camera you could get far away from the subject (behind), and use a telephoto lens. Hopefully you'll be far enough out of the DOF that you would be a formless blob in the background.

3. Philip Weir

Philip Weir TPF Noob!

Sydney, Australia. The land of peace and sunshine.
    Hi, I'm assuming you just want the person in the shot, not the mirror. If you want the mirror in the shot, then "ksmattfish" is correct, using a view camera will keep the mirror square, or at least it looks square. If you just want the person, it's easy. Just angle yourself from the mirror, preferably using a long lens, then just angle your subject until he/she is straight on to camera. What I don't understand is, if you just want the person, why use a mirror ???

4. zedin

zedin TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am assuming you want the mirror frame and all showing.. Well first try to use as long a lens as possible to get the shot (aka you should have your back to the wall). Try to have the camera in a darker corner with the person being more lit (so if camera is in shot it is in shadows). And lastly do what you can to disguise the camera.. Have it hidden in a plant (without blocking lens obviously).. in a stack of stuffed animals.. between items in a closet.. etc.. The other option is to use a piece of glass to shoot through at an angle. The light from the person side along with the darkness of the camera side will make the glass reflective from the outside but you will still have a clear shot.