Using music legally

cjexpeditions

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am hoping for some direction on the legality of using copyrighted music with photo slideshows. We want to be able to provide our clients with slideshows of their wedding, using their wedding song as the background music. I am not sure how to go about that legally. Do I need a license from the artist and/or lable company, do I need to pay a royalty fee for each slideshow sold, etc.? I want to keep my business legal, but I also think this is a product that we should be able to provide! Please help!

For whatever music you use, you will need to contact the record company. All music will be copyrighted in one way or another.

What I've heard is that you will be dealing with their lawyers. I don't know the finer details, but it's obviously going to be pretty expensive and not worth the hassle when you have other options.

It would be great if you can tie up with your friends or friend's friends who have their own band. The rate will be comparatively way low; may be nothing. They might be looking to spread their name. Credit them either way. It's a great way to support indie artists.

Other than that, royalty free music is the way to go. Here are some popular sites to hit. Read on their permissions page, if any. In some cases you may have to give Credit to the artist.:
Triple Scoop Music
Stock 20
Music Bakery
ShowIT Music
Pod Safe Audio
Pod Safe Music Network

I believe you do want synchronization rights with your music. Since the RIAA and other music associated companies are cracking down on what they call "theft" of music, it is a very good idea to purchase a proper license for the music you plan on using with your slide shows or what have you.

I am using a site called targetmarketmusic.com . They have a smaller but growing library of very high quality music and at a fair price. Check them out.

This thread is over three years old :er:

Since the RIAA and other music associated companies are cracking down on what they call "theft" of music, it is a very good idea to purchase a proper license for the music you plan on using with your slide shows or what have you.
Interesting!

What do you call it, when a person takes someone else's property without permission?

And, what is it about new members, that so many are seemingly compelled to dredge up old, long dead threads? :scratch:

And, what is it about new members, that so many are seemingly compelled to dredge up old, long dead threads? :scratch:

Perhaps some of them are intelligent enough to use the search function.

Perhaps some of them are intelligent enough to use the search function.
Definately a plus to use the search feature.

But, then I think they need to start a new thread, not append to a thread that is no longer timely.

Most reactions

Back